What is it and where can I get one

Fasttracken

Ok guys

like I said I bought a huge box of train stuff and I like this Loco I have 6 just like it problem is none move they have no power to them so they can pull a train the wheels are fixed like they are ment to just sit on the track for looks

my box did come with other Locos but I like this one the best so I hope to beable to run it on my lay out

locp2.jpg

its a N scale Grey and Red a big SP on the nose and Souther Pacific on the sides

3 Questions

1. Is this Common to have a Locomotive that is just for looks on a layout?

2. Where Can I get a loco like this In N scale so I can have one that will pull my train?

3.what kind of train is it

thanks scott

Triplex

1. Is this Common to have a Locomotive that is just for looks on a layout?
Dummy locomotives used to be common, but not so many modellers want them anymore, so not many are made.
2. Where Can I get a loco like this In N scale so I can have one that will pull my train?
Atlas makes the GP35.

3.what kind of train is it
Looks like a GP35 (the large-small-large fans at the rear are the identifying feature). In fact, it specifically looks like this: http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/gp28.html

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
When you say the wheels are "fixed" - what do you mean? If it is a dummy loco, the wheels should at least turn so it can be run around the track. If the wheels cannot move, it may mean that the motor does not work, or something else is preventing the wheels from turning.

What sort of power pack do you have? Have you opened the loco to see what's inside?

Andrew

Fasttracken

Triplex said:
Looks like a GP35 (the large-small-large fans at the rear are the identifying feature). In fact, it specifically looks like this: http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/gp28.html

yes thats it

do you have a link to a online store I can buy one from

When you say the wheels are "fixed" - what do you mean? If it is a dummy loco, the wheels should at least turn so it can be run around the track. If the wheels cannot move, it may mean that the motor does not work, or something else is preventing the wheels from turning.

What sort of power pack do you have? Have you opened the loco to see what's inside?

Andrew

I take that back the wheels do move like i said I have 5 others and the wheels move fine I just had to push the one along my leg and it moves fine

there is nothing inside these trains they are just dumby trains

now I just need to buy one or Two real ones and I will be happy

scott

Russ Bellinis

There was a product a few years ago that had n scale trains included as prizes. I don't remember the product, but my parents were buying it and giving the free trains to my nephew. The locomotives in the package were all S.P. gp35s and were all dummys. I would not be surprised if that is where your engines came from, because n-scal has generally had powered locomitives. Dummys in nscale are somewhat rare. Dummy locomotives seem to be much more common in ho scale.

Fasttracken

Russ Bellinis said:
There was a product a few years ago that had n scale trains included as prizes. I don't remember the product, but my parents were buying it and giving the free trains to my nephew. The locomotives in the package were all S.P. gp35s and were all dummys. I would not be surprised if that is where your engines came from, because n-scal has generally had powered locomitives. Dummys in nscale are somewhat rare. Dummy locomotives seem to be much more common in ho scale.

I found a lot of these dummys on Ebay for under 1.00

I just need one with some power to it

worse case I just let them sit around on my track somplace

scott

shaygetz

They can't even be considered dummy engines. These are promotional items made by a company called High Speed sent out by Reader's Digest and others as collectibles and have little operating value in N scale. They at best would make nice junk yard fodder but can't easily be made to run on N gauge track for their many engineering flaws. My kids have a blast with theirs, given to me by a well meaning neighbor.

Here's an Ebay listing of another, one of three>>>

http://cgi.ebay.com/N-GAUGE-DUMMY-L...496QQihZ005QQcategoryZ486QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Whether they are being sold fraudulently or not is anyone one's guess but I've seen so many of these over the years it makes me heartsick to see yet another one make it to a newcomer's table. There are about 6-8, covered hopper, tank car, 4 wheel flat w/ load, caboose, boxcar, etc...cars to go with them which makes it all the more frustrating.:eek:ops:

Fasttracken

shaygetz said:
They can't even be considered dummy engines. These are promotional items made by a company called High Speed sent out by Reader's Digest and others as collectibles and have little operating value in N scale. They at best would make nice junk yard fodder but can't easily be made to run on N gauge track for their many engineering flaws. My kids have a blast with theirs, given to me by a well meaning neighbor.

Here's an Ebay listing of another, one of three>>>

http://cgi.ebay.com/N-GAUGE-DUMMY-LOCO-SOUTHERN-PACIFIC-9725-NEW_W0QQitemZ150096007496QQihZ005QQcategoryZ486QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Whether they are being sold fraudulently or not is anyone one's guess but I've seen so many of these over the years it makes me heartsick to see yet another one make it to a newcomer's table. There are about 6-8, covered hopper, tank car, 4 wheel flat w/ load, caboose, boxcar, etc...cars to go with them which makes it all the more frustrating.:eek:ops:

Dang it

the thing that makes me mad now is

I have a box of about 100 cars I wonder how many of these are useless as these engines

scott

shaygetz

Fasttracken said:
Dang it

the thing that makes me mad now is

I have a box of about 100 cars I wonder how many of these are useless as these engines

scott

The wheels are fairly chunky looking with squared off, deep flanges. The couplers are not sprung so they will not flex at all. They are chunky looking as well with no uncoupling pin on the bottom. The car trucks are riveted in place, making for a very stiff side to side movement with no equalizing (rocking) ability. They do fit N scale track but will not roll will and will not take turns or turnouts well, if at all. Most of them are lettered for the Southern Pacific. In short, I hope there are not too many off these in your lot. Even the toolbox casting was mounted on the wrong side of this caboose that already shows the wear and tear 5 year olds can dish out. I do have plans for a yard master's office out of this one.

HighSpeedMetal.jpg

Jim Krause

If he is selling an actual Atlas brand engine in N scale you would not have the same loco that you bought previously. Just the weight of the unit should give you a clue as to whether it is powered or not. I would suggest going to your LHS and looking at some N scale equipment before buying blind on Ebay. I like his ambiguious statements about "this item MAY be in the warehouse and MAY ship in 7 days. Sounds like he is going to buy one from a wholesaler and ship it to you. Either that or he hasn't got much of an inventory system. Maybe he needs to get a flashlight and look in his "warehouse"/storage shed.

KCS

Russ Bellinis said:

Yea, with the picture I see, these were cheap knock off's that were only made to sit on a self and look pretty. They used to give them out at (if I remember right) Shell gas station's when you filled your car up with gas and you got one every time you did. They are N scale but they weren't meant for putting on the track. If I'm not mistaking the truck's don't turn side to side very well either. I had a hand full of them a few year's back but gave them to one of our club member's kid's so he would keep his hand's off my prized locomotives. lol sign1 They lack poorly in detail and would take an act of god to put a motor in one. You'd be better off sticking it on a shelf or on top of your computer or desk and buying the real deal. Just something to save you a lot of trouble.