what is a dummy car?

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
a dummy engine is normally an engine in an A-B set of say f units.the b unit is normally the dummy to make it look more prototypical while pulling a large load.and sometimes the dummy car carrys sound for the set.

CNWman

CNW Fan
bigsteel said:
a dummy engine is normally an engine in an A-B set of say f units.the b unit is normally the dummy to make it look more prototypical while pulling a large load.and sometimes the dummy car carrys sound for the set.

or sometimes it's a reversed A unit also which serves the same purpose as the B unit

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
A dummy can be any type of loco. I have a dummy GP 38-2 that I run with a powered unit as well as a dummy GP-9 and two SD9s.
Ralph

Pooh Bah
Years ago, there was a unit called a "steam dummy". This was a locomotive on a local line that had a body fitted to look like a coach. I think it was supposed to not frighten the horses. (Toby the Tram Engine looks a bit like a steam dummy.) Not to be confused with an inspection engine which had a coach body mounted on the running boards so that the brass could sit around the boiler and look ahead at the tracks.