What I Been Up To Lately:Passenger Station Diorama

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by TomPM, Jun 11, 2004.

1. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Using Woodland Scenics Fine Leaf Foliage, Clump Foliage, and Foliage I added some more ground cover. For the tree trunks in the stream I used twigs I found in the front yard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. TomPM

3. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Looking great Tom. What do you plan to use for the water?

Ron :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :wave:
  4. TomPM

Thanks Ron.

I plan on using Woodland Scenic Realistic Water. I have used it in the past with success.
  5. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

This is progressing nicely Tom. The colours look so natural.
  6. TomPM

Thanks Robin!

Next I took a look at the Atlas truss bridge I am using and decided it was too bland.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I painted the ties and weathered the rails with Folk Art Asphaltum.

[​IMG]

I still feel that I need to do something to the underside of the bridge. It looks so blank and empty as shown in this picture.

[​IMG]
  7. Matthyro

Did the track come installed on the bridge Tom or is that your work? Can't wait to see what you do with the underside of the bridge.
  8. TomPM

Thanks Robin.

From what I can remember the track came installed on the bridge. The bridge is from Atlas.

The ugly plain underside of the trolley bridge is driving me nuts. So yesterday I took a trip to the LHS and bought a bunch of styrene strips and I-beams.

Here the ugly plain truth.

[​IMG]

Now I added some I-beams

[​IMG]

Next I need to add some cross members.
  9. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Cool Tom!! I agree with you about the underside of those bridges. I have one myself and you have inspired me to do something about mine as well.

Val
  10. TomPM

Thanks Val!

Hopefully some of the following may help you:

I finished the underside of the trolley bridge. I glued some styrene I beams to the floor. I then used some styrene strips to act as cross braces. Since this was the era in which they used plates to hold things together I glue small styrene to the joints (also to hide them) to act as plates.

[​IMG]

Here it is with paint still drying.

[​IMG]
  11. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Looking great Tom' Can't wait to see you do the water.

12. TomPM

Thanks Ron!

Water will becoming shortly. I realized tonight that I had not gone over the foilage with glue so I had to spray it all tonight.

I have now begun to work on the highway bridge approach. First I needed to extend the retaining wall so the level of the road meets the highway bridge. I did this by applying a layer of spackling. I then added a wood strip for the retaining wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. TomPM

I finally got around to adding “water” to the stream.

The first thing I needed to do was dam the stream. For this I used a piece of scrap wood and a piece of scrap. I attached the dams to the diorama with Elmers Squeezable caulk. I let it dry for about 12 hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. TomPM

Once I was sure the dams were firmly in place I began to pour the water. I used Woodland Scenics Realistic Water. I poured it very carefully trying not to splash it on anything. I carefully poured it around rocks and the stream bank. I poured the water to the recommended depth of 1/8 inch. From experience I know the water will look a little cloudy until it dries.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. TomPM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am trying to decide whether I need to add another 1/8 inch layer of water or not. Once I have the final depth of the water I will go over the surface with Woodland Scenics Water Effects to make waves.
  16. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Hey Tom, this water is looking fantastically 'wet'! I love those reflexes of the 'sun' on the water surface. Almos need sunglasses :cool: :cool: :cool:
    (Or did you shoot the pics outside in real sunlight? It looks so real...) :confused:

Ron
  17. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Wow! The water looks fantastic Tom!!!! You're doing a real bang-up job with this!!! :thumb:

Val
  18. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Hi Tom,

Your sure did a wonderful job on your stream bed. It looks so natural. I sure don't know if you need another pour or not but anxious to see if you do. It looks plum beautiful to me. I'll be making quite a bit of mountain streams in my final addition to my layout and you have really helped me out. Thanks for the great pictures and information you provided.

19. Matthyro

Lookin' good Tom, can't wait to see the WS water effects that are still to come.
  20. TomPM

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

I will have to admit that I was surprised and pleased at how the water came out. I will have to do a second pour. In examining the stream I found a few crevices and a couple spot along the banks where the “water” did not flow into. Realistic Water is thick so it doesn’t always flow into such areas. Also there maybe a little shrinkage as it dries. I intend to fill in these pockets and go over the stream with a very thin layer (less than an 1/8 of an inch) to smooth things out.

Now I just need to get to the LHS and buy another bottle. I finished off the bottle I had. This stream did not take much RW, the bottle was left over from a previous layout.