What I Been Up To Lately:Passenger Station Diorama

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Next I dabbed Folk Art Amish Blue and Folk Art Raw Umber on the peir.

adh.jpg

adi.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Lastly I dabbed Folk Art Charcoal Grey.

adj.jpg

adk.jpg

I want to see how it looks after it dries before I do anymore. I may go over it again with a lighter grey.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I decided to go over the pier with some light gray. I used Anita’s Quarry Stone to go over the pier one more time. I then had to use some light weight spackling to smooth out the area where the pier was to be placed. While the spackling was drying I attached the pier and smoothed out the ground.

adl.jpg

adm.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I have now painted the ground with Folk Art Acorn Brown.

adr.jpg

(Sorry about the blurriness)

ads.jpg

ads.jpg

Next is painting the stream bed different shades to reflect depth.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
The stream bed is now painted. I used Folk Art Nutmeg, Folk Art Maple Syrup, and Folk Art Burnt Umber.

adu.jpg

adv.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Next I added Woodland Scenics Talus. I used Coarse Gray, Medium Gray, and Extra Coarse Gray.

adw.jpg

adx.jpg

ady.jpg

Now comes coloring the talus.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks Robin!

I have started coloring the talus and added the highway bridge pier to the diorama. I also added talus around the pier.

adz.jpg

aea.jpg

aed.jpg

aee.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
For coloring the talus I dabbed different colors of paint on the talus with a brush. The order of the paints that I used is: Folk Art Clay Bisque, Folk Art Burnt Umber, Folk Art Raw Umber, and Folk Art Amish Blue. I did this process twice in the same order. After the paint was dry I went over it with a Raw Umber Wash (5 part bbwsf:1 part paint).

aeb.jpg

aec.jpg

I am not totally thrilled with the color. I feel it is darker than I wanted but talus stains differently than plaster of Paris or hydrocal. I think I am going to hit them again with at least one lighter color was mostly likely Raw Sienna and maybe a light gray wash. The last was will be a Black wash which will bring out the cracks and crevices in the talus.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I added a detail part to the station area. It is a water fountain made by Scale Structures LTD.

aef.jpg

aeg.jpg

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
That little water fountain is neat. Now I wonder if I put a section of dowel into my drill, could I turn one or two of these!!!

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks Robin!

Since I did not like how dark the talus looked I decided to go over with a wash made from Folk Art Raw Sienna (1 part) and blue windshield washer fluid (5 parts).

aek.jpg

ael.jpg

aem.jpg

Now I need to hit the talus with a black wash and then the turf can begin.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks Ron.

I finished coloring the talus by going over it with a wash made from Folk Art Licorice (1 part) and blue windshield washer fluid (5 parts).

aen.jpg

aeo.jpg

aep.jpg

aeq.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I then began laying the turf. I used Wood land Scenics Earth turf under the bridges. For the first layer of green I used WS Blended Turf – Green.

aer.jpg

aes.jpg

aet.jpg