What I Been Up To Lately:Passenger Station Diorama

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
When I went to permanently place the station on the diorama I realized I had a problem. The area for the station was not a s level as I thought. I used WS Mold-A-Scene to smooth out the area.

may5a.jpg

Coming up later is adding the access road and the greening of the diorama.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Great work Tom... It is always noce to see what can be done with so-called "lower-end" buildings. It looks excellent! :)

Did you brush paint the station, or is it done with an airbrush?

Andrew

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks Andrew for the compliment.

I airbrushed the building walls (cream and green). The roof was done by "leopard spotting" with a brush. The base was painted by brush.

Later today I will be posting the access road and greening progress and that should bring the diorama posting up to date.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
It has been a few days since I posted anything here Now to finish bringing this topic up to date to the point of where I’ve stopped work on the diorama. I need to get to the LHS to get some supplies on payday.

I decided to try sandpaper to create the access road for the station. I cut the paper for a 16 feet wide road. I glued the paper down. When it was dry I painted it with Folk Art Dark Gray.

After the paint was dried I glued down the station building.

june1a.jpg

june1c.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Next I added the ground cover. I used WS blended turf. Along the roadway I used WS turf in Earth color to simulate something of a shoulder or dirt build up area.

june2b.jpg

june2c.jpg

june2d.jpg

The areas that I did not place any ground cover areas I will use WS cinders on to simulate the loading area. Also I need to get some bushes and underbrush to add in different areas. Some of the other stuff I would like to do is to add a culvert or pipe in the ditch, and add trees after I make them.

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
Tom,

That Folk Art Dark Gray paint looks like it would work well for stream beds where the water is deep enough to be dark. It seems a bit too dark for roads, especially a lighltly used road that might be faded from age and neglect. You could alway air brush it to a lighter color for sun fading etc.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
RioGrande

You are right. The more I look at the more I am not thrilled with it.

BTW thanks for reminding me. I forgot to mention that I need to weather the roadway. I am not sold on using the sandpaper. I had read a few things about it and thought this would be a good spot to try it.

Anybody know how to model a pothole patch?

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
TomPM said:
RioGrande
Anybody know how to model a pothole patch?
I'm no expert, but I'd try drilling a few shallow holes, and then fill in with some kind of putty or spackle. That would give the patched look, then paint the patch with a dark gray color or whatever patches usually look like.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I weathered the access road. I dry brushed Folk Art Charcoal Black over the road except for the edges. I then came back and dry brushed Folk Art Light Gray. Next I added some crack sealing at some joints with Folk Art Licorice. I also attached some bushes along the back station building.

Here is how the progress looks now.

june3a.jpg

june3b.jpg

june3d.jpg

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:thumb: Great job Tom, may I sugest now to take some black or dark gray chalk powder and brush over the entire road, it makes it all blend together better, also a good way to make cracks in the road is to use a black sharpy pin (the skinny end) but don't overdue it. Looking really good. :thumb: :thumb: Jim

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks guys!

Jim thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about the Sharpie. Now I just have to figure out what my daughter did with it after she marked up all her stuff for her girl scout camping trip last month.

Woodie
I'm not quite ready for that grand opening yet. I still need to get some cinders to put down around the station. I tried to get to the LHS tonight but when I got there they were closed. School is out so they started their summer hours.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks Tyson!

Since I finally made it to the LHS I was able to work on the passenger station diorama some. I added WS fine cinders around the front and sides of the station. I also added a layer of WS medium green course turf to the green areas. Next up is trees and brush and some benches.

june4a.jpg

june4b.jpg

june4c.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Again thanks Jim!

I have been fiddling a little with diorama lately. I have not added anything permanent recently. I have been trying different set-ups with some details and here a few results.

june5a.jpg

june5b.jpg

I hope to start making trees shortly and planting them along with underbrush.