What Household Items Have You Swiped For Your Layout?

Half of my basement! I'm in the process of putting up a wall to divide the basement. Eventually, this space will have a model building bench, bookshelves, cabinet storage, my desk and credenza, computer, printer & scanner, and the real reason why I bought this ol' house...MY LAYOUT!! :thumb: :thumb:

Russ

Originally posted by rockislandmike
Ugh, don't remind me. My wife and I had a dreaded financial meeting last night. Let's just say I had to make some promises for the next while.

Same here. I'm just squeaking by, but I still manage to funnel funds to the hobby. Bills are getting paid late, the usual stuff. Any large expense puts us in the hole. There's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's looking a bit dim right now. Hey, could be worse...I could be unemployed or homeless. I'm grateful for what we have, but I do need to get some changes for the better going on the career front. The job I have now is a grind that gets me through, but as I age, it's not what I want to do for the next 13 years before I retire. Real dead end with no real future or advancement. I think that I can do a notch or two better, and I'm looking. I'll be checking in with careerbuilder.com later on tonight. Nothing from my employment agent yet...he almost had a real peach of a job for me at the beginning of the year, but someone with absolutely perfect qualifications bumped me. Oh, well...gotta keep lookin' and not do anything to get meyself fired. In the meantime, I build my kits, work on the house, and on my layout room when I have time. Meanwhile, got kits? :D

Russ

zeeglen

All of this goes to prove the resourcefullness (spelled wright?) of model railers. If a 'thing' has any possible re-use, it will be discovered - even if it has to reside in the junkbox for 20 years.

Keep on scrounging - it works!

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Originally posted by zeeglen
even if it has to reside in the junkbox for 20 years.

Keep on scrounging - it works!

20 years?????? Some of my "stuff" is 30 years old - but "I may need it someday, so I can't throw it out!" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

But of course, when I need something, I can't find it, so I have to go buy a new one anyway. :p :p :p :p :p :p

F

Fred_M

I once found some green stuff in a baggie at a freinds house that looked like green ground cover. So I took it home and used it for grass. If the DEA ever looks close at my layout I may have to go away for awhile. If the freind ever hears about it I may not post again, so mums the word. :D FRED

belg

20 years?????? Some of my "stuff" is 30 years old - but "I may need it someday, so I can't throw it out!"

Usually the day after you throw it out and the garbage man comes you or someone else will think of a way to use it!

FRED that is some expensive ground cover, better hope no water gets on your layout or you'll have to get out the weed wacker or the pipe.