What Headlamp Bulb for O-Scale Lionel?

mrkartoom

Hello. My first post here and hopefully this question has not been asked 100 times, but I'm finding the site a little overwhelming to search for info. To my question, I just acquired an o-scale Lionel Blue Comet loco setup from a friend and the headlamp is blown. This is my first-ever train and I know nothing about them other than what I've learned over the last 48 hours. I didn't even know what scale it was is how green I am. Anyway, does anyone know what the type bulb is I need to replace it?

About the train, I'm understanding this is a circa late-70's cast model. I got the bulb out and it looks like a little xmas light. I was going to put in a mini light bulb from a xmas set just to see if it would light up, but the leads are too short to work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pooh Bah
Hi!
Lionel has used a large number of light bulbs over the years. I guess you don't have the instructions with it. Also, the Lionel of the 1970s is not really the same company as today, but they may still make parts that fit.
You will need a bulb that takes at least 18 volts or it may burn out instantly.
http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/ is a supplier of old bits and also has an online collection of instruction sheets and diagrams that may help.
It's best if you can supply the number of the locomotive (usually but not always the number on the side of the cab). Blue Comet is a well known train from the 1930s and may show up more on searches.
There is currently a children's book out about a Blue Comet train set, set in the depression.

One suggestion: Take the bulb to Radio Shack. They have a good assortment of small bulbs, and would likely have something the right size in 18 volts.