What have you achieved so far in 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Yeah Robin, My layout room is carpet all around it, sure is warm.
Life’s little luxuries LOL

Shamus

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Pete there is always something to look out for isn't there. Not only those springs but spikes and of course those N gauge LPBs could be lost, just like in "Honey I Shrunk the Kids"

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Let's see, well as of Jan. 1st, my layout was only the seed of a thought in my little cranium.

So far I have:

1. Decided to Model the Credit Valley Railway circa 1885 in N Scale.

2. Put up a website for it.

3. Finalised a track plan.

4. Constructed two out of the 5 modules.

5. Acquired enough track and switches.

6. Have 2 power packs to run the layout.

6. Have 3 steam locomotives and 8 cars.

7. Have 3 buildings.

8. Decided what the other 73 structures will be.

So I guess I have been busy.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Will,
You have been a busy beaver, well done. 73 structures left to make -- WOW -- just how big a layout in N-scale are you making??

Shamus

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Shamus

The space is 11.5'x6.5' and the benchwork is in an "M" shape. The two sides and the back are 24" deep, the center peninsula is 36" wide. Single mainline with a semi hidden return loop and wye in the center rear. Seven stations are represented.

You can see the track plan, complete with structures at:

http://www.muskokacomputes.com/images/CVRTrackplan.jpg

Let me know what you think.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I built the water tower diorama.

I am still way behind on my goals for 2004. I either need to pick up the pace. :D

I am trying to finish the passenger station and accompanying diorama as part of the 2nd Layout Party. Also I am working on assembling the Pink Boutique kit from Bachmann. It is turning into a challenge to do something with that kit. BTW the kit was a gift and the gift giver, (aka daughter) wants to know why it is not finished yet.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by Will_annand
Shamus

The space is 11.5'x6.5' and the benchwork is in an "M" shape. The two sides and the back are 24" deep, the center peninsula is 36" wide. Single mainline with a semi hidden return loop and wye in the center rear. Seven stations are represented.

You can see the track plan, complete with structures at:

http://www.muskokacomputes.com/images/CVRTrackplan.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Hi Will,
Like the trackplan, also the wye is in a great place to reverse a consist. Do you need help wiring this or can you manage okay?
Shamus

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Appreciate the offer, Shamus. I need all the help I can get :D

Wiring is the one thing I have NEVER done. The last time I was in Model RRing, I was 19 years old. That was 30 years ago. My father did all the wiring. I have to learn now how to wire the yard.

I think I may be changing that to allow for more space. I think I will bring it straight up with the ladder and possibly another siding or two. But I have to learn how to wire it so I can leave a loco on any of the spurs and not have it run away
:eek:

I got an early birthday present from my parents yesterday. They got me a Bachman starter set. Actually, they knew I was doing an "Old Time" layout (circa 1880-1900) and they could not decide which Bachman set to get me, Bachman has 2 with 4-4-0s in them, so they bought both sets and my father gave me one and my mother the other. They were down in El Centro California for 3 months, after pricing the sets at LHS and being told the sets were $120.00 each, she found Trains World online and placed a telephone order, his price was 50% of the LHS, so they bought both sets.

I don't think I will use the Bachman track, except maybe as a template for cutting my sub-roadbed.

Anyway, going to take a look at my Orangeville Yard and see if it can be better arranged. To do it to scale would take about 13' in N and I have a table that is 6.5' long. Time for selective compression.

racedirector

Apr 4, 2004
Oz-stralia
australianspeedway.com
Here's my bit for 2004 so far.

My full size plan is on it's way as are my Atlas switch machines for staging. I have a fellow modeller to thank for all of this.

The location of my layout has changed although the size has remained the same. I now have exactly half of our lounge room (12'x8') instead of the original 12'x8' spare bedroom. That is now going to become my son's room (4yrs).

I have started handlaying my hidden staging yard throats on PC ties. Even the plain track will be done this way. Yes I know it will be hidden but I want the best track I can get under there. 6 x #6 turnouts, 3 tracks either side of the mainline which will be around 10-11 feet long. These tracks will be designated north/south and east/west. I intend to lay both yard throats now and join them up when I get the benchwork done.

Aside from that, heaps of reading on my intended era and location plus scouring the web, libraries and even ebay for sources of articles on scratchbuilding.

Cheers
Bruce

Tom Champion

Jan 9, 2004
Macomb, Michigan
Visit site
Shamus:
Since attempting to design my own track plan I have been lucky enough to be given a module almost completed by a skilled modeler. With that example in front of my nose I should be able to improve my non-exsistent scenery skills.

I have built and weathered two 'Keystone' Log Buggies, moved to new quarters, and successfully 'weathered' my step-daughters wedding. Haven't mastered the photo downloading to the 'Gauge' or I would have created light laughter for all.

Hopefully, my pace of construction will increase. The time I spend on this site comes back in 'spades' from the knowledge given freely by the memebers of 'Gauge'.

Champ

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Well, by the looks of the projects completed by the other GAUGER's, I've been standing still. I have built my layout benchwork, and have tried to "massage" my track into the trackplan that I have had in my mind, and in doing so,I have come up with some interesting ideas to be incorporated in my trackplan... but I was still having trouble making the plan fit the reality.... so I bought some track planning software (rrtrack v.4.) and it looks like I can make the dream plan fit my benchwork after all.

After a little more "tweaking", I'll share my layout plan and ask for your comments. In the meantime I feel I have learned much here at the GAUGE, and I want thank everyone there for the opportunity.

IG

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
Well,

work has kept me away from the layout a little but I thought I'd speak up with whats
happening on the Nova Scotia Northern.

1. Built and painted fascia for the whole layout, added matching curtains to the floor to hide the multitude of sins beneath the layout.
2. Because I'm not very bright.. I didn't build a backdrop before starting on the railway. However I decided to use sky-blue "curtains" around the walls of the room which was a relatively easy retro-fit.
3. Built a retaining wall for opposite my main station and built up the area above as a main town. I have several of the buildings in various stages of construction.
4. The big thing.. added two four track staging yards converting the basic loop layout to an end to end with cutoff.. much more interesting operations.
5. Started to form the basic scenery for my harbour, almost ready to lay track down to the waterfront (when funds allow!)
6. Finally started with some tiny details, there are now some people waiting for trains on the platform at Bedwas, as well as chatting in the park.

So thats about it.. one of these days I'll be able to get a half decent digital camera and get some pics.

Graham

Allstate81140

Feb 19, 2004
Visalia, CA.
Visit site
Clerk said:
So far, all that's happened is - The right control on my dual control transformer shorted out and caused the train to run full blast and right off the rails on a curve. My LHS said to send it in to MRC and they would fix it for free. I have changed the control for the yard to the main line so at least I can run one train. sort of dull from when I could run two trains on two main lines and yard switching at the same tiime.:cry: :mad: :eek: :confused: :thumb:

Hi all. Boy Dick, I hope, unlike what I always had as a kid on my tables, that you had sides on yours. That is the pits.

Great though, that you can get it repaired free. Jack.

vanda32547

Jun 4, 2002
Miami Florida
www.geocities.com
We finally cleared out the train room to build a new layout...

My train room began to look like a garage sale gone crazy :( with all the crap that accumulated on and under the layout as well as in the room. I have included before and after pictures elsewhere on the forum so check em out. http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=10806

Now the room is ready for a new layout. I am considering going DCC but need to do more research before investing in a system.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.