What have you achieved so far in 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Well my friends, it getting into March so just what have you all been upto.
Shamus

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
So far, all that's happened is - The right control on my dual control transformer shorted out and caused the train to run full blast and right off the rails on a curve. My LHS said to send it in to MRC and they would fix it for free. I have changed the control for the yard to the main line so at least I can run one train. sort of dull from when I could run two trains on two main lines and yard switching at the same tiime.:cry: :mad: :eek: :confused: :thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Lessee...I've installed two decoders, jump started my railbus project (currently waiting for white LED headlights), got the Lady Dane and her passenger car entourage up and running, stared really hard at my 6 Campbell and 1 FSM kits, weathered my SP GP7 three pack. Then there's the scenery and town I'm working on at the club, the three decoders I've installed there....All in all, a slow start...;)

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Hmmm let's see.

I got the benchtop built for my HO layout. (Dang that thing wieghs a ton)

I bought a little lop of N Scale Bachmann EZ Track and some rolling stock just to hear a train running while I work on the HO Layout. (Was bought on Impulse after seeing the local NTrack club's layout set up at a local mall running the ruit growers express)

Decided to go with a freelance Version of the CSX using the CSX Grey Ghost Paint scheme with a modified logo.

I am currently working on begining the landscaping of the HO Layout . I have most of the foam applied just need to pick up a few more odd pieces to finish it then I can trim to fit and begin Plaster work.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Lets see..
1.I got my long awaited RTR CF7s.
2.Learn how to use a air brush.
3.Decided to extend my yard layout around the walls so I can have some main line running.
4.Finally got 2 Atlas/Kato C&O RS3s.:D
5.Decided to not to buy any more car kits but go with the RTR cars instead.
6.Decided to ease up on the C&O/Chessie(c&o) and focus more on the C&HV.
That's it so far.:D

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Built two structure kits--a Woodland Scenics pharmacy and a Rix one-story house with porch. Built my first scratchbuilt structure, a local furniture store, primarily of heavy cardstock and scale lumber I scrounged from the parts box. I still need to add window glass and interior details but they are essentially done and sitting on the layout.

Replaced wheels in all frequently-used rolling stock (all seven cars and two cabeese) with Intermountain metal wheelsets.

Tried an experiment simulating in-street track with Woodland Scenics foam roadbed material glued around the outer edge of the track. Not a good idea--it rises up above the level of the track and lifts rolling stock off the rails, and creeps over the railhead which shorts out engines. Now I've gotta rip it out and redo it. Maybe I'll try doing a section in Sculptamold just to see how it turns out...

Have done an unnerving amount of research on Sacramento in the early 20th Century, and the Sacramento Northern itself, some of which involved buying books instead of trains--fortunately my love of books goes back even farther than my love of trains.

Quit smoking cigarettes, aided greatly by the promise to myself that I can spend the $25 a week that I would have spent on cigarettes at the hobby shop! A much less dangerous addiction, but equally chronic!

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Well done guys, nice to see some members have achieved some goals they set themselves.
Myself, I have scratchbuilt two more items for the layout. added a few more trees. (Still need more) scratchbuilt the diorama/mini-scene for the contest in "May" and been playing around with my new camera getting the feel of it.
Shamus

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
2004 Progress to date:

1. dropped camera on floor - had it fixed
2. put paving between tracks under crane
3. added a roadway in behind the foundry to the shipping dept of Inglis
4. started ballast on section 1 - I'm about half finished now
5. built Walthers brewery kit
6. kitbashed a mansard roof storefront - still not quite finished - project is on hold while I decide what the other store is going to be
7. super-detailed interior of corner luncheonette - needs lighting installation
8. re-arranged downtown buildings about 50 times
9. weathered a couple of gons
10. went on a spending spree and bought a bunch of detail parts, a couple of cars, trucks, a tenement building kit, chain link fence kit, paint, and styrene strips.

Hmmm..... I thought I'd been slacking big-time but I see from this list that I've actually accomplished a fair bit.

Val

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Well done Val, thats a whole lot of work done on the railroad.

You going to do this diorama-Mini scene in May?
Shamus

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by shamus
Well done Val, thats a whole lot of work done on the railroad.

You going to do this diorama-Mini scene in May?

Thanks Paul! I'm not sure about the diorama. It sounds like fun but I have an NTRAK module to build for the August BBQ, and between that and getting the HO layout operational for the same deadline I think I'll be too busy.

Val

sammyd

Feb 14, 2004
WI
trains.script-host.com
Let's see,
1.Rediscovered model railroading!
2.Started a 4x8 layout for my 5 year old.
3.Learned about Ebay.
4.Found a great LHS
5.Learned the difference between glossy and flat paint.
6.Built a few buildings.
7.Had a lot of fun!!!

Johnson Bar

May 15, 2003
Southcentral USA
Visit site
Learning how to hand lay Track & scratch build switches! Thanks to the Model railroader article. Couldnt have done it without it.
Seems to be a lost art? Also expanded the layout to accept more scenery. Any one have any suggestions on how to make some large Pine tree's for a logging layout ?

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Wow did I get lucky, a neighbour decided to have new broadloom installed and gave me the old stuff that was taken out. He actually meant it to go into the garbage until I asked for it. Now my concrete floor in my railroad room has thick pile carpet including enough to cover the raised floor for my upper mushroom area. What a difference it makes. The area is much warmer and has a cosy feel to it and it sure makes it quiet too. The price was right as it was free.

Status
Not open for further replies.