What Have You Accomplished In The 2005 Year?

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
What has everyone accomplished in the 2005 year? I myself haven't done much with my railroad until this month with scratch building my first scene. It isn't that big at all. I know alot of you have accomplished alot this year, so tell us, show us what you have done.

zedob

Wow, that's a loaded question.:p

Actually, this was a great year for me concerning MRRing. I finally got around to deciding on a track plan and laying track on my layout. i still have a long way to go, but It's coming along. I can run trains, albiet through a foam terrain, but atleast I can run something now.

Next year should bring alot of scenery fun.

I have to admit, if it weren't for the Guage, I'd probably wouldn't be as far along as I would have liked. Nothing like a little motivation from fellow modelers.

MilesWestern

Well, I designed and started to build my current layout, known to you guys in my thread, The Mission Valley& Pacific. Which according to me, and Nachoman's poll it's about 10-30% complete.

In addition, I bought nearly all of the engines I've been wanting for years, except two. An IHC 0-4-0 (still want one quite badly, anyone willing to sell?)
Also an P2k SD7/9 in SP bacl widow (also willing to buy!)

Brought nearly all the cars I wanted to do up to NMRA standards, which is a huge accomplishment.

Bought/ Installed my first decoder (digitrax for my P2k ATSF GP7)

Late last year, recieved my First ever Decoder equipped locos (an E7 A+B set.(SP golden state))

learned to maintain my locomotives to well-running condition.

kept a collection of train stuff for my friend.

Continuing my 2nd year at the Niles Depot Train Club

OH! almost forgot! I joined the guage this year!!! :D :D Yay!:D :)

enjoyed the last train show to be held at the alemeda county fairgrounds, in Pleasanton, CA. It's practically an institution of my child hood, and a very long tradition for me.

...so all-in-all, not much! ;)

all have a good holiday! Can't wait to hear what you other guys (and gals) have done!

ScottyB

It is the end of my first complete year on The Gauge. And the end of my first year (since I was a kid) interested in the hobby. I have built and torn down my "layout" a few times now before deciding to join a local club. I hope to learn a lot, build my collection, and start my personal layout again in a few months.

In 2005, I learned a lot about the hobby from this site. Probably more than I could learn anywhere else. Thanks to everyone on The Gauge and here's to a good 2006!

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Here is a refresher course :) Gauge Layout Party 4

Gauge Layout Party 5

They are from the end of 2004 & the beginning of 2005 :D

I did a lot on Teh MF&W (Link in my sig block)

Added trees around the Trestle (thnaks to Shamus), added trees to the Templar Acres Golf Course... Built a bridge for the yard, Built an engine house (Along with Robin) and did some various wiring. Not too darn bad LOL

Now I'm off .......... to cause more trouble :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ausien

What have I accomplished this year?, you may ask, LS.

{1} I have made a lot of new friends here on the gauge.

{2} In the last 15 months or so, I have finnished the plaster work on my mountains, and got the painted some what...

{3} nearly built an exhabition layout for our annual show.

so I think it has been a good modeling year for me, on the hole....I hope to have as good a year next year too.... you all have a good one too...steve

kf4jqd

I moved 1000 miles this year! Edgar, Wisconsin to East Tennessee! I don't get the time off like I did. The project for '06 is an N scale coffee table!

Happy New Year,
Andy

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
My biggest accomplishment was that I worked up the nerve and began weathering my locomotives. I have done about 75% of the fleet. The remaining ones will get done as time permits. I also built the Grain Elevator Diorama in about 2 months time. I truly wanted to see if I could get something done in a reasonable amount of time instead of the normal taking years.

Speaking of years I wanted to begin the layout rebuild but that never really got under way until now.

Harpo

Greetings to all
Let’s see now…accomplishments for 2005. After about a year of layout planning, struggling with various software, and pencil and grid paper, I finally-with the wife’s encouragement- (hoo rah) got started back in n-gauge after a 30 year sabbatical from model railroading. Reasonably satisfied with what I’ve done so far, but, of course, there have been lots of mistakes - fortunately, none fatal. Hopefully I can figure out how to post pics, and will do so soon. Trains running without major problems, learning lots of new scenic-ing techniques. Really impressed with the quality and availability of materials, rolling stock, locomotives, electronics etc., etc. available now as compared with what was on the market a few decades ago. Not completely happy with what I’ve done – either with scenery or track plan, but will continue as I am learning lots of neat stuff as I go. Since we will be relocating in the next six months, I am already looking forward to a larger RR and will profit from all the mistakes when I rebuild. If enough room, perhaps a change to HO.

The downside, I am recovering from chemo which has temporarily wiped out a lot of energy, but has at least given me the opportunity to do lots of MR reading and planning. One more course of treatment to go; the prognosis is very positive, and hopefully the hospital stay will not be as long and gruesome as the last time….and I do have my reading materials lined up. So, in all, I’d say 2005 has been a very productive and, um…interesting year. A very happy and prosperous New Year to all on The Gauge!!

Harpo

Glen Haasdyk

Well this year I:

1) finished wiring all the blocks up on the layout

2) Added the backdrop

3) built the roadbed, and laid the track for my small Narrow gauge logging railroad

4) built the mountains (foam and cardboard core, hardshell, rock castings, painting, and ground cover) in a 5'X4' area ( All my mountain area!)

5) built about 6 buildings for my city section (mosty Design preservation models)

6) Painted, decaled and weathered: 1 BLI Mike, 2 mantua consolidations, 1 Mantua Pacific, and 4 passenger cars in CPR for my current boss

7) Assembled and painted about 10 cars for myself during the year

I think that's about it.
In the words of Forrest Gump, "I'm kinda tired, think think I'm going to go home now."

6)

Joepomp

Union Station

I finished the Union Station. Is it too large? It will hang over the edge of the layout by a foot. The trains on the out side track will go in to a tunnel under the station. :eek:

Attachments

• DSCF0179.JPG
    DSCF0179.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 25

GeorgeHO

I decided about a year ago to get back into model railroading, and it took a whole year to actually get something going. I built (glued together) a 2.5x8 foot foam board 4 inches thick, and stuck a bunch of tracks and switches on it. I'm experimenting with engines, cars,couplers, track, and hope to include DCC in the experiment. I've built 4 structures, experimenting with DPM, painting, weathering, glueing, detailing.... I've bought too much in the way of cars (300) and locos(100), having enough rolling stock to populate my finished layout (not in this lifetime), which will be bigger than anything I ever dreamed of.

What I've done is to dream of a finished (work in progress?) product and work towards that end, and to tryout everything along the way. I'm having fun.

toolman

:( Toolman here, it has been awhile since i posted anything. I seemed not to accomplish anything for the last half of 2005. I would just stare :( at the layout and walk away. I was out for 4 weeks, mid october to mid november do to a cardiac procedure that was done on me and i did not touch my layout:( either to work on it or run the trains, what i did was to work on my slotcars, these are the ones that run on commerical tracks. I haven't touch these since 1998. There is a place in the Easton Pa area called Trains and Lanes, they have 3 slotcar tracks and a very nice train department. Yesterday i went to the model railroad shop not far were i live and just browsing and i bought :) one of those ready builts by model power, the freight terminal and switched the building i had on the layout, the business is an steel barrel company that buys and refurbush steel barrels, so the model power building will be converted for the steel barrel company.
I believe this will jump start me back to work and operate my layout. :)

francismaximus

Well I moved to TN from Orange CO NY. I will have a bigger house in April. I had to dissasemble and pack my 4X8 and all the stuff I bought is 2005. So I guess I accomplished alot on both fronts. Now being in the Nashville area anyone want to tell me what railroad runs thru here and does it have any significance worth modleing?

Thanks
Frank S