What Gage would you recomend?

mrcedar

First of all I must say that I am simply amaized at the quality of work I have seen.
Are you sure some of these folks are not just going out to a real train yard and taking photo's.
I have recently recieved the trains I had as a kid (Linonel, American Flyer and HO ) and would like to set up a layout for when my grandchildren come over. I have a space about 10' x 14' that I could use.
I don't have a lot of time for many details but I wanted something the kids could run. Mayby 4 or more trains at a time with lots of switches overpases and operating cars.
Does anyone have any suggestions about Gage.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
I would go with the Lionel and American Flyer, hoping they are O scale. Since you just want them for the grandkids when they come for a visit, and you don't have time for detailing, and they are tough enough for little hands, they would be perfect.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
:wave: Hi and welcome to the gauge mrcedar.

I would suggest HO scale. With that much of room, you can have a good size layout.

As for the grandkids, ya sure, it could be for them but I think that when you start building this layout, you will see just how fun it is and want to keep doing more and more.

I mean, I am only 17 years old and when I started my first layout, it was just supposed to be a small little thing that I could build in my spare time. Well that soon changed and I have expanded and done more things with my layout. (Click the links in my signature)

My layout is HO scale and there are so many possiblities. There is so many buildings, trains, bridges, scenic things... that you never have trouble finding what you want.

For starters, go to www.walthers.com. They have the largest selection of all scales.

I hope this helps you some and you will surly find all the help you need here.

One very big consideration is, how old are the grandkids? Size of hands has a lot to do with the gauge to use.
Since scenery and details are not to be worried about, just put the different gauges on one layout.

Lynn

Pooh Bah
mrcedar: how much damage do you want the kids to be able to inflict on each other with the trains? stooges8 :cry:

If you want operating cars and such, the Lionel (and compatibles) are your best bet. They also have a better chance of surviving rough play.
There is much less American Flyer available these days.
If the oldest one gets interested in scale trains, he could be set up with some HO or you could be really daring and provide scale O. I stayed with Lionel to about age 13; I got into it again about age 57.

shaygetz

Welcome to The Gauge, Dale:wave:

Take you some 2x4s and two 4x8 sheets of plywood, put them together in an L shape and paint it green, lay out the track without nailing it down so you can rearrange as you please and just have fun with the little boogers---all 3 scales. One of 'em gets busted, that just raises the collector value of somebody else's, meantime, you and the grandkids are havin' a slammin' good time. Can't put a price on that.:thumb:

LoudMusic

shaygetz said:
Welcome to The Gauge, Dale:wave:

Take you some 2x4s and two 4x8 sheets of plywood, put them together in an L shape and paint it green, lay out the track without nailing it down so you can rearrange as you please and just have fun with the little boogers---all 3 scales. One of 'em gets busted, that just raises the collector value of somebody else's, meantime, you and the grandkids are havin' a slammin' good time. Can't put a price on that.:thumb:

Amen!

But if you'd like to put more effort into the room it might be fun to put the HO scale stuff on a 'regular hight' 40 to 50 inch tall table with the larger scale stuff directly underneath about 10 to 20 inches off the ground. That way the wee tikes can play with the big clumbsy trains and the old folks can do some railroading. Then as they grow up the more delicate trains become accessible.

Pooh Bah
Dale: 2 years ago, I bought my wife, Dayle, a Lionel Polar Express set. It now fills much of the inside of my HO/OO gauge layout.

mrcedar

Thank you all for your coments
I just visited a friend with an O Scale it took up a huge room and had 7 trains running.
I had the fealing O Scale may be too big. Does HO have any operating cars?
Dale

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
O SCALE, HO SCALE, N-SCALE, AND Z-SCALE (Way to small for me) all have running trains available.

I think the idea that loud music suggested is a great idea. The kids could play with the big trains and you could play with the smaller trains.

jetrock

"Operating cars" (ones where the little guy hops out etc.) are a toy-train thing, there were some made but they're pretty old and pretty rare. HO is more of a modeler's scale than a toy-train scale.

4 trains running at the same time is a tall order in ANY scale--other than the toy-train folks, most model railroaders don't just set up a bunch of trains and watch 'em go round and round.

If you want to do something simple, you can set up a 1 or 2 train O-27 layout on a 5x9 foot table with little hassle.

mrcedar

You folks are simply inspirational
So far this is what I am thinking.
Instead of using 2x4s I make deep chest of drawers, cabinets, and shelves to support the table say 40" or so off the floor. I space them out and put lights under the top so the halflings can play underneath. We would put down carpet, pillows, and little chairs or tables with games, their own trains, trucks, dolls, books, colors, etc. The table top would be like a horseshoe with the right hook being 4'x4' joining a 3'x6' leg going up to the center table of 6'x11' then down the left side with another 3'x6' and ending in another 4'x4' table section.
At this time I think I would still like my setup to be a toy train. I Thought the Flyer S gauge would work out best as it is smaller than the 3 rail O and the grade would be less for 3 layers of trains It also has more realistic track. http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/641-259 The kids like pushing buttons any watching working cars and accessories. http://www.lionel.com/Products/Findex.cfm
Above the upper cabinets I could run a couple O gauge and below and in-between them I could do the HO.
How does that sound?
Dale