what fasttrack switches are best for a yard?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jan 20, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i have some 036 switches, but they seem to space the tracks out way to much? what switches are best for a yard? what will get the tracks closer together but not so close the trains hit each other...lol

060? or 072?

and what combination of other track pieces will i need?
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Lionel's 0-36, 0-60 and 0-72 switches are all designed to produce a 6 inch center to center track spacing. I do know the larger switches include a third piece of short track with no ballast on the shoulders. This gives the needed 6 inch enter to center track spacing.

So without looking at some large switches you might be able to get them closer if you remove the short sections of track on the curve end.

I do know the 6 inch figure was used to permit even the large engines and cars pass without hitting anything.
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

with my 036 switch and an 036 full curve i have 7" between the edge of the roadbed of the 2 tracks, and 9" between the inside rails of the 2 tracks.

i may have to change my plan.
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Not sure how you have it but if you use two 0-36 switches you should have 6.
  5. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I do use two switches connected to each other that gives me two sidings off of the main track that does in fact have 6 inch centers. In event the info comes straight out of the "The Lionel Fastrack Book".
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ok, my 036 switch has the short curve with it, i left that on an added a 036 curve to that, thats how i got what i got.

now i just traded the 036 curve for an 048 and the tracks are closer .
  7. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

if i take the the 6" curve off the switch and just run a full 036 curve the 2 tracks are not side by side, they are running away from each other.
  8. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

This is how mine look big O. There are two switches connected on the top just out of the photo and another switch connected added for a second siding.
    [​IMG]
  9. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Another view of it.

[​IMG]