What else do you make models from ?

Discussion in 'Extended Mediums' started by Mark_1984, Apr 20, 2007.

1. 46rob

46rob Member

Paper is fine for card models--but sometmes other opportunities present themselves. Metal is great for locomotives and miniature steam engines. Wood lends itself best to sailing ships. I use plastic sheet, rods and structural shapes to build items for my N scale layout.
  2. 46rob

46rob Member

Paper is fine for card models--but sometmes other opportunities present themselves. Metal is great for locomotives and miniature steam engines. Wood lends itself best to sailing ships. I use plastic sheet, rods and structural shapes to build items for my N scale layout.
  3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I used to do tons of plastic models. Now I have 2 that I started I don't even remember how long ago, waiting to be finished. Card just seems more fun, and cheaper
  4. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I used to do tons of plastic models. Now I have 2 that I started I don't even remember how long ago, waiting to be finished. Card just seems more fun, and cheaper
  5. goney3

goney3 Member

Mark - those poll options were hilarious! :D
  6. goney3

goney3 Member

Mark - those poll options were hilarious! :D
  7. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Plastic, paper, metal, wood, cloth, string, plaster, cement; you name it, I use it. My REAL hobby is making silly G-gauge trains;
    http://www.4largescale.com/chris/index.htm
    But paper models are my guilty pleasure!
    Chris
  8. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Plastic, paper, metal, wood, cloth, string, plaster, cement; you name it, I use it. My REAL hobby is making silly G-gauge trains;
    http://www.4largescale.com/chris/index.htm
    But paper models are my guilty pleasure!
    Chris
  9. cjd

cjd Member

Build anything, from anything - I prefer plastic/resin/vinyl for figures, wood for carving and building, metal for structural things, and whatever's appropriate for what I'm doing at the time - I'm proud to say I'm a sold artist!

Chris
  10. cjd

cjd Member

Build anything, from anything - I prefer plastic/resin/vinyl for figures, wood for carving and building, metal for structural things, and whatever's appropriate for what I'm doing at the time - I'm proud to say I'm a sold artist!

Chris
  11. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Before my wife and I became full time RVers, I built lots of competition grade plastics (1/72). Since then (last 9 years) I've built two plastics (a 1930 Model A Sport Coupe [named Mehitabel -- my first car and complete with a down-loaded quilt for a seat cover!] and a 1/48 P-40C for a neighbor who I just learned had been a Flying Tiger). He turned 85 this month. No good paper 'hawks except that great 1/32 scale one --- looking at the instruct sheet, I didn't have time for that one.

Now, its purely paper unless something else special comes along.

Bob
  12. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Before my wife and I became full time RVers, I built lots of competition grade plastics (1/72). Since then (last 9 years) I've built two plastics (a 1930 Model A Sport Coupe [named Mehitabel -- my first car and complete with a down-loaded quilt for a seat cover!] and a 1/48 P-40C for a neighbor who I just learned had been a Flying Tiger). He turned 85 this month. No good paper 'hawks except that great 1/32 scale one --- looking at the instruct sheet, I didn't have time for that one.

Now, its purely paper unless something else special comes along.

Bob
  13. paul a

paul a Member

I used to build in other forums now mostly card stock its cheap and and if I don,t like the way it,s heading on a build. I start that part over .try doing that in balsa and metal .but I do need some plastic and balsa work to cardstock RC.
  14. paul a

paul a Member

I used to build in other forums now mostly card stock its cheap and and if I don,t like the way it,s heading on a build. I start that part over .try doing that in balsa and metal .but I do need some plastic and balsa work to cardstock RC.
  15. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

Whatever it takes to get the job done. Paper is great, but sch40 PVC holds up much better in potato guns and wood works much better for siege engines. 99% of the things I take in for my son's 2nd grade class are paper. I get to put my time building things for his class down as volunteer time so his school gets paid for my time by my work. I build them everything I can.
  16. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

Whatever it takes to get the job done. Paper is great, but sch40 PVC holds up much better in potato guns and wood works much better for siege engines. 99% of the things I take in for my son's 2nd grade class are paper. I get to put my time building things for his class down as volunteer time so his school gets paid for my time by my work. I build them everything I can.
  17. 46rob

46rob Member

Those G scale things are amazing. You've a wonderful imagination, and the skills to make 'em real.
    I've bookmarked your ebsite.
  18. 46rob

46rob Member

Those G scale things are amazing. You've a wonderful imagination, and the skills to make 'em real.
    I've bookmarked your ebsite.
  19. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

Plastic modeler

I voted "Mainly Plastic Model Builder", since that is what I usually build. I like the card models as a nice diversion. I'm actually contemplating scratch-building a plastic model, using the card model parts as patterns. I think that would be an interesting way to get a plastic model for the collection when there isn't one available. 1/32 scale planes are all the rage in the plastic world now. I'm thinking a 1/32 He-219 Uhu!

Cheers!

Rick
  20. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

Plastic modeler

I voted "Mainly Plastic Model Builder", since that is what I usually build. I like the card models as a nice diversion. I'm actually contemplating scratch-building a plastic model, using the card model parts as patterns. I think that would be an interesting way to get a plastic model for the collection when there isn't one available. 1/32 scale planes are all the rage in the plastic world now. I'm thinking a 1/32 He-219 Uhu!

Cheers!

Rick