What else do you make models from ?

Discussion in 'Extended Mediums' started by Mark_1984, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

What other materials do you folks use to make models ? Are you strctly a paper only person (and anybody who uses anything else should be hung, drawn & quartered), or do you enjoy other forms of modelling.

It would be interesting to see just how many people admit to using plastic :wink: (am I allowed to say that here, or should I have *'d out half the letters :roll: )
  2. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

What other materials do you folks use to make models ? Are you strctly a paper only person (and anybody who uses anything else should be hung, drawn & quartered), or do you enjoy other forms of modelling.

It would be interesting to see just how many people admit to using plastic :wink: (am I allowed to say that here, or should I have *'d out half the letters :roll: )
  3. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

PS - It's not a public vote - just in case the plastic modellers don't want to come out of the closet ;)
  4. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

PS - It's not a public vote - just in case the plastic modellers don't want to come out of the closet ;)
  5. Kaz

Kaz Member

I occasionaly get given a plastic kit, 'cos someone has heard I make models, but I am worse at those than I am with paper.
  6. Kaz

Kaz Member

I occasionaly get given a plastic kit, 'cos someone has heard I make models, but I am worse at those than I am with paper.
  7. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I only do paper. I've had a whack at p******, but I'm no michaelangelo.
  8. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I only do paper. I've had a whack at p******, but I'm no michaelangelo.
  9. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Previously Almost Everything

I've used various woods, plastics, metals, etc. but since paper is so versatile, I don't see any point in using another medium.:D

Terry
  10. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Previously Almost Everything

I've used various woods, plastics, metals, etc. but since paper is so versatile, I don't see any point in using another medium.:D

Terry
  11. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I started with paper, construction paper that is. In the second grade.
    My Dad introduced me to Balsa aircraft kits, I dumped the kits but kept the Balsa, and started scratchbuilding.

Assembled many plastic "toys" (have a hard time calling them models).
    Assembly is MUCH different than building.
    We assemble plastic models...we BUILD card models...
    Besides, ever heard of a plastic model without instructions?
    MOST of my cardmodels have NO INSTRUCTIONS.

I have modeled in card, clay, metal, mud, soapstone, wax, wood and wire. As Russell once mentioned, you could model with Spaghetti and Meatballs and that would be okay with me.
  12. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I started with paper, construction paper that is. In the second grade.
    My Dad introduced me to Balsa aircraft kits, I dumped the kits but kept the Balsa, and started scratchbuilding.

Assembled many plastic "toys" (have a hard time calling them models).
    Assembly is MUCH different than building.
    We assemble plastic models...we BUILD card models...
    Besides, ever heard of a plastic model without instructions?
    MOST of my cardmodels have NO INSTRUCTIONS.

I have modeled in card, clay, metal, mud, soapstone, wax, wood and wire. As Russell once mentioned, you could model with Spaghetti and Meatballs and that would be okay with me.
  13. Clashster

Clashster Member

I love to build things. And I am very cyclical (I tend to do one type for a while, then move on to what seems interesting). I have modeled in the dreaded p word. I like the look of classic cars, and there are not many in card. Also, I have been a wooden ship builder for twenty five years. Balsa planes.... get the picture? I really like card, though. I may end up sticking to this one! Couple of goals: scratch build a wooden ship. Design and build a card model. But that is on the horizen!

Chris
  14. Clashster

Clashster Member

I love to build things. And I am very cyclical (I tend to do one type for a while, then move on to what seems interesting). I have modeled in the dreaded p word. I like the look of classic cars, and there are not many in card. Also, I have been a wooden ship builder for twenty five years. Balsa planes.... get the picture? I really like card, though. I may end up sticking to this one! Couple of goals: scratch build a wooden ship. Design and build a card model. But that is on the horizen!

Chris
  15. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I guess I'd better bare my soul here :)
    I was brought up on Airfix kits. However, I don't do much plastic now. I do enjoy multi-media models, but it takes me ages to finish one. That's one of the attractions of paper - no painting necessary.

As some of you have seen, I relish some really tiny models, preferably from etched metal or resin, and at the other end of the scale, I enjoy model engineering, which is anything but tiny !

In a nutshell, I'll have a bash at anything - especially if it's wood, metal or resin (or paper of course). I also enjoy marquetry, but I don't do big things in wood - I'm rubbish at carpentry !!!!
  16. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I guess I'd better bare my soul here :)
    I was brought up on Airfix kits. However, I don't do much plastic now. I do enjoy multi-media models, but it takes me ages to finish one. That's one of the attractions of paper - no painting necessary.

As some of you have seen, I relish some really tiny models, preferably from etched metal or resin, and at the other end of the scale, I enjoy model engineering, which is anything but tiny !

In a nutshell, I'll have a bash at anything - especially if it's wood, metal or resin (or paper of course). I also enjoy marquetry, but I don't do big things in wood - I'm rubbish at carpentry !!!!
  17. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

I was a figure modeler for years before discovering card models. Figure models are either white metal alloy, or resin. I have also scratch built full figures in epoxy putty, and have done several busts in sculpy. I still do some figure modeling, although not as much as I used to. So many hobbies, so little time. :)

Don
  18. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

I was a figure modeler for years before discovering card models. Figure models are either white metal alloy, or resin. I have also scratch built full figures in epoxy putty, and have done several busts in sculpy. I still do some figure modeling, although not as much as I used to. So many hobbies, so little time. :)

Don
  19. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Oh, so true.......
  20. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Oh, so true.......