What electronics do you want for your layout?

Paul Davis

As some of may or may not know I was recently layed off from work. I've decided to take this opportunity to start my own business manufacturing model railroad electronics.

Anyhow I'd like to hear some ideas on what everyone would like to see. Is there something out there which you wish you had for your layout which you can't find? Are their any features which you're looking for which other companies don't provide?

Paul Davis

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
I always wanted some sort of "Trigger device" that could be placed anywhere - On the track or near it. So every time the engine or a specific car passed "that point" something could be triggered tp happen.

Also - I always wanted a "Reliable" grade crossing trigger circuit that actually started & stopped EXACTLY like the prototype.

all this, of course, without triggering a massive funds reduction in my wallet. LOL

Best of luck in your Business & Remember our Buy & Sell Forum is not for use by Businesses - as soon as you become "Professional" you have to contact Dave H for our policies on advertisement :) :)

Let us know what you decide to sell!!!

interurban

Hope things go well Paul.
The hardest thing is getting our wallets opened:D
Hope you hit on the product to do it.
How about a resonable cost sound system for Traction:rolleyes:

shaygetz

How 'bout a circuit that you drop in a freight car, that'll blink or sound off when you pull out or brake too fast?:eek: Or an inexspensive circuit to program stops for a trolley as well as/or reverse it automatically at the end of a run. Blessings on your new endevour, countless success stories start with a layoff.:)

hey if you want i would be willing to work for you for free or if i get some of the things we make i could help u in making something like 100 of some componit i could help you produse your stuff. just an idea cause i would like to get into stuff like this a little more then what i am i can make LEDs and that is about all that i have tryed.

chris

rsn48

Well, you got my attention on this one. The good news is what I want is easy to do, no brains; the finished product is already out there but what I want some one to do is put the "package" together, with instructions not designed for geeks. And what I want is an auto detection auto reversing loop, turn out thrower.

So my high ball express comes roaring in, the auto detector senses it coming, throws the turnout while the dcc thing does is auto-reverse electrical thing. The high ball express goes around the loop and the auto detect throws the turnout automatically so that it can go on its merry way. In other words, a reversing loop to reversing loop layout that can have continuous running.

Oh, and I should be able to flick a switch and turn off the auto detect so that I can throw the turnout the opposing way if I want to.

rsn48

Also, cheaper block detectors than what is available for dcc. The DBL16 is what I am thinking here - Digitrax.

shaygetz

From personal experience...be careful with the starting capital...the best way to make a small fortune in a venture is to start with a large one:p

johngraser

Would like to see a PC DDC Command station.

Features:
Small device that just convert the signal to/from the PC to a DCC (BUS) compatible signal and control bus.

It will connect to standard DCC Power bosters.

The device will also have a LocoNet port and Wangrow/NCE Bus
so all manufaturers controllers and feed back devices will work.
Connect to the PC using the USB Port

Use the PC for the command station software( include instructions/software drivers for people to write their own software to use the device.

John

shaygetz

Now that PC DCC command station is the ticket. The tech who comes up with that device is talking serious modeling breakthrough, especially if it could be done for less than a $100-150.

MCL_RDG

If ya need...

...CAD Design when ya get a bite- lemme know.

I take paper knapkin concepts and translate them into working drawings/artwork.

Best regards on your venture,

Mark

spitfire

Hi Paul

First of all - good luck with your venture. I hope you do really well!

I'm not sure, after reading the other responses, if this is what you mean by electronics, but here goes. I've looked everywhere for this very common type of North American streetlight with no success. If someone would make it I would snap it up. It would be great if it came in sets of 3 -4.

cheers
Val

Attachments

• lamp.jpg
    lamp.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 156
well guys as for the pc dcc control it has been done but it is pricey i got one for around 750.00 us and that was a year ago the thing with the pc to dcc control you need a fast computer above 900 megahertz it eats up cpu speed and it only runs in a dos program (well i think i will stop for the sake of the ones who are new to the computer)

but i would love to see a electronic that would run a hole scene like a buliding on fire with fire trucks with lights flashing and the building burning and all the sound that would go with it like some radio chater and the sounds of the turcks or even a little police car chace the the cars moving and everything

i think that would be somthing to see on a lay out on a road some where the train in the back ground and then out of no where here comes a car running from the cops

I am still looking for a DCC decoder that has only one function. On-Off. It could be used for passenger cars or FREDs. Of course it should be around $4 - 5.
Roland

boppa

Originally posted by shaygetz
How 'bout a circuit that you drop in a freight car, that'll blink or sound off when you pull out or brake too fast?:eek: Or an inexspensive circuit to program stops for a trolley as well as/or reverse it automatically at the end of a run. Blessings on your new endevour, countless success stories start with a layoff.:)

drop in circuit-so dependant on the pickups for voltage from track -very touchy

tolley circuit on the other hand sounds very easy to implement -couple of 555's(or 556) timer,4017 decade counter,few diodes,caps,resistors and a 3a 2955 transister for a dc controller
easy peasy