What does your significant other think?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by cgutzmer, Oct 26, 2006.

1. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

I'm with you TWE...if you have a hobby that the wife can be interested in also, then you've got it made

SA
  2. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

I'm with you TWE...if you have a hobby that the wife can be interested in also, then you've got it made

SA
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Yeah, 'til they get better at it than you.....

Tim (wunwinglow)
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Yeah, 'til they get better at it than you.....

Tim (wunwinglow)
  5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Wow, you heading east to the Old Country?! We must get together for a beer...

Geeks. Hm. Over here we have people called 'anoraks' who collect train (locomotive) serial numbers. Or aircraft numbers. Or bus numbers. It doesn't actually matter what the 'thing' is, so long as it has a number, which can be recorded, tabulated, and bragged about to other 'anoraks'.

Uniform is, guess what, a tatty Parka or anorak, brilliant white trainers, and blue jeans with a razor crease pressed into them. By Mom.

And rampant Body Odour. That is the real reason they congregate at the far end of railway stations. And you thought it was just so they would be level with the locomotive when it stopped. Oh no.....

I am being very cruel, aren't I? Judge not, least ye be judged.

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Wow, you heading east to the Old Country?! We must get together for a beer...

Geeks. Hm. Over here we have people called 'anoraks' who collect train (locomotive) serial numbers. Or aircraft numbers. Or bus numbers. It doesn't actually matter what the 'thing' is, so long as it has a number, which can be recorded, tabulated, and bragged about to other 'anoraks'.

Uniform is, guess what, a tatty Parka or anorak, brilliant white trainers, and blue jeans with a razor crease pressed into them. By Mom.

And rampant Body Odour. That is the real reason they congregate at the far end of railway stations. And you thought it was just so they would be level with the locomotive when it stopped. Oh no.....

I am being very cruel, aren't I? Judge not, least ye be judged.

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  7. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I too consider myself "lucky". My better half not just gives me praises for every little piece I build (not for the "prototypes" as Nobi says though); but also she encourages me to build more and take them to shows/museum/clubs/friends. And that is why my 2 little ones are building cardmodels themselves too. And now that we are thinking on buying a new house, she is the one considering the place for the shelves where the models are going to be displayed, and my "private" for me to keep on building.

One time a friend asked her what she thought about all this, and she said she prefered that than seeing me on bars all nights.

I thank for all of this.

Yes, all the other non-modeling folks are the weirdos.
  8. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

For me "You are a bit odd but its all right " and "That's pretty cool" seems to be the most used, along with "That's made out of paper?!".
    Most of my stuff winds up being given away or played with till they get destroyed, so they don't wind up getting in the way (well, not too much).:grin:
  9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I would like to lodge a complaint here.

There is no selection which says, "Significant other?" or something like that for use bachelors here.

But the my significant other is my Canon digital camera and could care less what I do as long as I keep its batteries fully charged. 8v)
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

The title of the thread states significant other - I planned for that :p HA!
    Chris
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Arf!! I'll have a beer anyway! Cheers!

Tim
  13. 46rob

46rob Member

Mine likes it, as it's the least expensive, messy and noisy of my myriad distractions....and the big plus is that it keeps me at home--not off on the Gulf fishing, whacking a ball around a big pasture, etc. Preferring design over building makes it a money neutral pastime....most of my pocket change from the sale of models has been funneled into my favorite aviation museum. A bonus is the fact that all my prototypes and betas become grandchild and neighborhood playthings.
  14. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

I write books about building paper and cardboard models. When I tell my wife about the nice comments my built models receive, she says, "Has anyone bought any books?" Well, no, dear, but maybe eventually...

She's sweet, though. She encourages me to keep at my hobby.
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I didnt even realize you had made any books until this post! Marketing marketing marketing! Get some advertising out there :)
    Chris
  16. dkaniel

dkaniel Member

My wife supports me with my hobby, at least she knows where I am when I'm working on a model. Paper Models, model rockets and watching Sci-Fi programs on Cable TV, She all takes it in stride. However my mother-in-law was surprised when she found out that I still buy, build and play with legos.
  17. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Marketing...

Chris,

My website link in my post signature will take you directly to my book website. Take a look, everyone, and please let me know what you think. The link is also posted in the paper models for sale forum.:wave:

Mark
  18. sakrison

sakrison Member

I have paper models, railroad models, and a few ancient plastic models scattered around the house. She has balls of yarn stuffed in every available nook and cranny. I sort of evens out.

Actually, she's always impressed with my work and at what can be accomplished in paper. My daughters think I'm a little nuts, but that has little to do with my paper modeling. Both my daughters are self-described nerds and proud of it.

No worries,
    --David
  19. davelant

davelant Member

My card modeling is only one of a long line of eccentricities. The comment I remember best, though, is when she found out I've been like this my whole life, prompting this observation about my childhood, translated from Korean:

"Your sprouts were yellow."
  20. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Seeing as this thread has been brought back from the dead I may as well take the opportunity to mention my other half... I feel like I'm one of the very lucky ones here, my partner is extremely tolerant of the mess i can make while working on a model as I tend to take over whole tables at a time. Sometimes it's the dining table that we never actually use for dining, sometimes it's the coffee table in the lounge room where we spend a lot of our spare time watching tv or playing xbox.

She has an 8 year old son, we have 5 cats, 2 dogs, and there can be up to 5-6 kids running riot through the house at any given moment yet my models and tools will remain untouched and unharmed right in the middle of it all sometimes for weeks on end.

I've lost very few parts, only one model has been ruined (a Tie Fighter was eaten by Darth Canine a few months back) and it's only on a very special occasion that I'll be asked to put anything away to make room for guests.

I guess in the long run, card models keep me in the house and out of trouble, and she loves the fact that a freely downloaded model can be very cheap to build. The first few kits I bought were relatively cheap, she appreciated that too. I think if she realized how much I've spent on tools and other supplies though, I might be in a bit of trouble. :D