What do you want to achieve in the New Year

Tom Champion

Jan 9, 2004
Macomb, Michigan
Visit site
technical Q & A

Shamus:
That seems a reasonable idea; but there are two problems:
1- Not sure I would know how to do that.
2- the thoughts are not yet WELL formed;)
Typical beginner, I attempt to do more than my abilities.

I sent a scanned image to Marc Gast of an older 2 level 10 x12 Armstrong layout I though I might use as guide. jpeg image took a long-time to download.

Right now I'm behind at projects at work so intensity is required on my part to catch-up. Then there is the new condo which isn't ready yet and the negiotations with the 'bride' on the space etc, etc... .

At least it is more than one item/excuse I'm using to procastinate.

Tom Champion:)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
:wave: Welcome to the-gauge, Tom!:wave:

The beginning is a happy time. Once you have an idea what you would like to model, era, industries, etc., you can begin to assemble kits for structures, Loco's and rollin' stock if you are not ready to start on a layout.

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
I have actually achieved my first objective. :cool:

1. Get Phase I (Mill Complex) of my layout complete enough to go fully operational.

I finished the mill spurs this past weekend and I had my first operation session on the AD&N last night. Just solo switching the yards & the mills. It is a lot more complex to do well than I thought it would be. I used about 20 cars with car cards and waybills. I spotted a few at the mills and chemical plant. A couple in the interchange and a few in the yard. It takes longer than I thought it would.

This part of my layout is actually a very selectively compressed version of the largest forest products mill complex in the world (Believe it or not). It produced 26,000 carloads last year.

I need to practice! Planning out the most efficient moves to work each track is something that I hope will come with experience. Since this was the first ever operation session I have ever been involved in, I really have nothing to compare to. I don't know any folks that do operations around here. (Boise)

I can see where just working operations on your layout can teach you a lot. It can also point out the little places that need tune-ups in your track work. I kept my little file set handy. I plan to keep working on it until I get everything as smooth as possible.

It was neat to actually switch the mills with an SW1200. I've done it a thousand times in my mind while I was building to this point.

Tom Champion

Jan 9, 2004
Macomb, Michigan
Visit site
Jon:
Have started some of that. Logging and mining in the late 1800's is where I think I want to be.
Back before dirt was invented I had completed a few models and I have acquired 'Keystone' log buggies and a Barnhart Log loader. Should get the trucks and couplers in the next few weeks.

Boning-up on 'How to' Scenery when i can get some reading time.

Thanks for the encourgement,
Tom Champion

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Re: technical Q & A

Originally posted by Tom Champion
Shamus:
That seems a reasonable idea; but there are two problems:
1- Not sure I would know how to do that.
2- the thoughts are not yet WELL formed;)
Typical beginner, I attempt to do more than my abilities.

I sent a scanned image to Marc Gast of an older 2 level 10 x12 Armstrong layout I though I might use as guide. jpeg image took a long-time to download.

Right now I'm behind at projects at work so intensity is required on my part to catch-up. Then there is the new condo which isn't ready yet and the negiotations with the 'bride' on the space etc, etc... .

At least it is more than one item/excuse I'm using to procastinate.

Tom Champion:)

Well Tom,
If you need any advice with a new trackplan, I would be pleased to help out in any way possible.
shamus

Tom Champion

Jan 9, 2004
Macomb, Michigan
Visit site
technical Q & A

Shamus:

" Well Tom,
If you need any advice with a new trackplan, I would be pleased to help out in any way possible."

Thanks! Just got back from Cinn, OH & leave for the Ann Arbor (show), MI Saturday.

How do you post a drawing on this site? or a photo-copy?

I'm trying to work out a modular method to reduce the size of the project. Since this a two level I maybe kidding
:rolleyes: myself.

We are arranging a spot in the current basement for building my models (at least make some progress);)

I will certainly take you up on the offer.

Thanks again,
Tom

P.S. Guess I'll have to think of a name/

Tom Champion

Jan 9, 2004
Macomb, Michigan
Visit site
Technical Q & A

Sumter 250

You got me there! They were still building protype steam engines when I had my first 'O' gauge Lionel.
:)

I think you are supposed to spend some time at home to actually complete something in this 'Hobby'?;)

Thank heaven for the lottery I should be retiring just as soon----:rolleyes: .

Off to a show in Ann Arbor, MI to see if I can spend more money.

Thanks,
Champ

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hey Champ,
Please take a load of photos at that show in Ann Arbor.
I am sure the members would love to see them.
cheers
Shamus

Tom Champion

Jan 9, 2004
Macomb, Michigan
Visit site
Technical Q & A

Shamus:
I need a 'kit' to build a digital camera.

There were two major 'HO' layouts, 'N' layout, and a major sized 'S' layout all clubs. One small 'leggo' block club layout.

What adhesive would you recommend for the white metal casting? The other kits are wood and plastic. I've used 'Elmers' white glue before for wood kits. I have good right angle surfaces for gluing.

What couplers would you recommend for the logging train & ore cars? Kadee # 58?

Champ

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Champ.
You ask"What adhesive would you recommend for the white metal casting? " well I would be using Cyanoacrylate for all white metal jobs, unless you are adept at soldering using flux and 144/145 solder.

As for wood kits, I would be thinking on the lines of a contact adhesive.(Evo-stick) - (Bostick) here in the UK thats what they are called.

I presume your talking HO when asking about kadee#58 for logging, yes, they are perfect. Also so are #5's.

Shamus

Tom Champion

Jan 9, 2004
Macomb, Michigan
Visit site
Technical Q & A

Shamus:
Thanks.:)

Should I lightly dip the white metal castings in diluted vinigar (5%)
to clean the castings?

My soldering skills need work. Yes, this is going to be 'HO'. I ordered 'Archbar' trucks for the 'Log Buggies'. Next month if the condo isn't close to ready I'll work on a caboose.

No question my ideal will be your road for the scenery and detail. I admire each picture is it's own contained scene.

Champ

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Re: Technical Q & A

Originally posted by Tom Champion
Shamus:
Thanks.:)

Should I lightly dip the white metal castings in diluted vinigar (5%)
to clean the castings?

My soldering skills need work. Yes, this is going to be 'HO'. I ordered 'Archbar' trucks for the 'Log Buggies'. Next month if the condo isn't close to ready I'll work on a caboose.

No question my ideal will be your road for the scenery and detail. I admire each picture is it's own contained scene.

Champ
[/QUOTEHi Champ, sorry I've been so long answering.

Just wash the castings in soapy water and then run them under the tap and let them dry on their own.

Spray them a matte black first before adding the proper colour to them.

Shamus

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Okay people, its the 2nd of March, just what have you been doing of late.
Shamus

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
One of my goals was to get my AD&N locomotives painted.

I have just completed my first one, an SW900 AD&N 907.

I learned a lot doing it, since it was my first one. I plan on doing some more in the next few weeks.

Climax1880

Feb 13, 2004
At the edge of the woods
Visit site
Progress for 2004

Well Shamus:
Seeing as how I can't convince you to come to beautiful North Carolina and finish up my layout, I guess I'll have to do it myself:D :D :D

Seriously, I REALLY have started on scenery and on a track section and the sight of that much completed has energized me into doing even more and more and I should be "finished" in about 10 or 12 years:rolleyes:

One thing that I am going to do in the next few weeks now that I have learned that the state owes me a LARGE refund is to buy me a digital camera. Then I can post some photos so you all can have a laugh or two:D.

Have a good day and PLAY NICE

JR

Tom Champion

Jan 9, 2004
Macomb, Michigan
Visit site
Technical Q & A

Tad:

Building an engine sounds very formidable for me at this time. I'm sure glad you were able to accomplish part of your goal.:) The others should go faster.

I'm now behind based on a number events created by others and it would not be fair for me not to participate.

Looks like our moving date will be the first week in April; so that's a major obstacle about to be solved. The daughters wedding is in May and taxes are due in April.

So,:cry: I'll need the therapy of creation.

Visited Boise once before Jabil built it's plant.

Champ