What do you want to achieve in the New Year

Bob Collins

Try it :confused: I'll have to admit I've never even heard of it:) :)

Please keep us posted on your progress. I will very interested to see why it is called "mushroom:confused: :confused:

Bob

spitfire

I missed this thread for some reason but here are my goals for the next 8 weeks.

1. Complete scenery and building placement in section 1 - the industrial switching area
2. Complete benchwork for section 3 (yard) - this will also require an extension to the backdrop
3. Lay track from yard through section 2 (city) and hook up section 1 (and wire it)
4. Run some trains
5. Start NTRAK module

Where I'm at so far is that I have started "paving" section 1 and ballast is 1/2 done (trip to LHS tomorrow for more).

Val

Lightbender

Hello Matthyro,

I too was very intrigued with the mushroom article especially the sums. Getting that much track into any given space any other way would look like the proverbial bowl of spaghetti. Unfortunately by the time I read the article I already had my spaghetti draped mountain already built. Looking forward to your pics and trackage numbers.

Bob,

A mushroom is essentially a big box in the middle of the room that is big enough to get inside and run a shelf layout from a raised floor. Outside of the box is the continuing shelf layout running under the inside one but with no view of it. The shelf layout now continues around the room. A remarkable length of track can be laid out in a quite small area with plenty of access to everything and a continuously changing background throughout your run. This article should be required reading for anyone in the track planning stage.

Oh Yeah, plans for the year, hmmm. Doing something clever enough to get praise from some of the big guns here on the Gauge.

shamus

Registered Member
I have heard thats there's not "Mushroom" left when you get the tracks down LOL
Yes, I remember seeing those articles Robin on Mushroom layouts, should be quite fun doing it, start another thread with photos in photography, and I will sticky it.
shamus

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I only have two priorities for the new year,
1. To keep my job at the hobby shop (it's a ten minute commute, and I love the work)
2. To come up with, and execute an idea for an Ntrak module, and get it to Val's next summer.
1. So far, so good. Not full time, but still working.

Attachments

• ifs1.jpg
    ifs1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 113

shamus

Registered Member
Looks like so of you have really made a start on your projects, keep it up and report your progress later on.
shamus

Mrs.Mac

Goals for this year for the train layout.....

1. Finish all wiring (will complete that in the next few weeks)
2. Purchase and assemble all buildings I've decided on for the layout.
3. Scenic the ROW and "field" areas of layout.

I have to get cranking on this, because I'm planning on adding a new member to the hobby next summer and I think it will be difficult if not impossible to work on the layout with a big ol' pg belly next winter.

Good luck to everyone!!!!

Mrs. Mac

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Thanks Val, that's 1' X 2' of the 2 X 4. With the pics I have of the ship, I have my work cut out for me...........and there's more!
Pete

shamus

Registered Member
Okay, so what have you achieved this year so far. For myself, I made some trees, kitbashed a shay and now finished a scratchbuilt Donkey engine on a flatcar.
shamus

Tom Champion

Accomplish in the New Year

What I would like to accomplish is catching up on all the time I have been out of model RR.

Skill level is rank beginner; but I have a friend (Marc Gast) who has a lot of patience.

Will be moving soon (already a month later than promised) so my work is planing a layout, gathering a few models (Keystone logging buggie & Barnhart log loader) to start and keep me off the TV. ;)

With Marc's help I should have a good start and enjoyment.

This is a great resource & I owe Marc for telling me about it.

Thanks

Tom Champion

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Welcome to the Gauge Tom.
The MAT mushroom is getting there. The structure is complete and backboards about 90% done. The pink foam subroadbed is in place ready for cork roadbed. I am really enjoying this project as I am getting it done just the way I want it to be.

Tom Champion

Matthyro;
Thanks for the welcome and WOW that's a lot of work I see. The pictures are very heplful.

My library has a number of the old Armstrong Model Railroad Track plan books and they are very helpful. Marc Gast sent an old track planning guide he has used and between the two I should find something.

Negoitaing the space in the basement is part of the planning. Haven't learned to throw away enough stuff.;) May try the modular system just in case I ever have to move it.

Possiblly 10 x 12 HO for starts with very little yard. Like the logging/mining era late 1800's. Haven't worked w/ foam years ago I did paper maiche.

Thanks, Tom Champion

Tom Champion

Technical Q & A

Thanks,
I have the beginner' disease of 'biting' off more than I can expect to chew.;) The 'Bride' has a pearl stringing business and the RR hobby allows us to do our own thing & stll share common space.

I keep peaking & I'm very impressed w/ the value of the help, skill, and ideas. I'm afraid I'll be a taker for awhile.

I'll have to save my money & get a digitil camera. :)

Presently, I'm exploring web sites, everyones great pictures, and working on what track plan I want to start.

Thanks,
Tom

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Tom,
Why not put your trackplan up in "Track planning for the future", then we can all help you with questions about it.
cheers
Shamus