What do you want to achieve in the New Year

shamus

Registered Member
I expect most of you have some thoughts on just what you will accomplish in the coming months. Maybe it’s just to get the entire track finished and wired ready to run trains. Or, make a start on the scenery. Myself, I get motivated just by looking at the layout and thinking about it. Like the day before Christmas I looked at my loco shed and thought I would replace it with a more dilapidated and run down one, so I have already started it. What gets you motivated?

Shamus

Bob Collins

Shamus.

I'll skip the fame, if I can just have the fortune so I can complete my layout.

My goal for the coming year is to finish up all the odd jobs I still have going on and to have completed at least half of my scenery work. That will be a big order with a 10' X 22' layout and only an inkling of how I want to landscape the whole thing:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Next month I will complete the third year of my five year plan to complete my layout. Problem is, I have no clue whether or not I am on schedule as I really didn't set any intermediate goals:( :( I guess the next 6 months will tell if I'm going to make in on time.

The next question is what do I do when I get it finished?? Helix and staging would seem to be in the mix somewhere:cool: :cool: I built my benchwork in such a manner that I could drop a helix or two down about 12" and have a large staging area. Just don't know yet

Peace

Bob:

brakie

Shamus,That is a very good question..:thumb: I plan on focusing more on my C&HV and less on my C&O and Chessie (c&o).I Have found my modeling of the C&O has cool some and my interest in the C&HV has grown over the last few weeks.I suppose that is only natural as I am more of a freelancer then prototype modeler.Of course I prefer to model my own short line as well.

I don't plan on buying to many more locomotives other then the CF7 by Athearn and the SD24 by Atlas but am going to focus on replacing some of my less then desirable cars with better cars and perhaps start a truck replacement program by using the Athearn trucks with the working roller bearing caps on the cars I will be using on my home layout..As much as I would hate to sell off some of my equipment I can not completely rule that thought out as I have way to many locomotives and need to thin my collection time will till..:(

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I want to cover the last remaining bare wood on the layout, improve some buildings, and set up some scheme for operations.
Ralph

C

Catt

Geez Paul,I'm not sure where to start this so here goes anyway.

I would like to get my N scale layout operational and get started at least on the 0n30 one.

I have at least 4 NTRAK modules to do (two are a rebuild on new frames) and TTRAK corner and side modules of various sizes.

Other than that get some more work done on and in the trainroom(move the furnace ,knock out a way ,extend the layout.

Jim T

Hi Paul,

I need to figure out if I'm going to keep working on my HO layout or junk it out and get started on the On30 layout we've been conversing about. I may compromise and do a 10' On30 shelf layout to get a feel for it. Maybe the town section of the bigger layout or a switching layout of some kind. Some definite goals would help. So far I feel like the "Cowboy who jumps on his horse and rides madly off in all directions". LOL

Cheers, Jim

Tad

1. Get Phase I (Mill Complex) of my layout complete enough to go fully operational.

2. Start on Phase II (Mainline, additional industries, & staging).

3. Get my DCC system.

4. Get all of my AD&N locomotives painted and install decoders in all of my locomotives.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I need to complete the two corner Ntrak modules I am making to take to Val's(Spitfire) BBQ this coming summer. Have completed 2/3rds of the first one. As well will be working towards a more complete layout. I do have trains running but need to compete some industry trackage as well as a staging track and an interchange with Ntrak modules

Bob Collins

I don't know about the rest of you guys and gals, but just having access to The Gauge, and more specifically a thread like this one, is something of a stimulus in itself. As I come past my layout coming back to the computer to check this thread I find myself stopping to look at various parts of the layout, hoping to stimulate my mind to produce some new ideas. So far, mostly blank returns:confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :cry: :cry:

Buffaloed Bob

Lighthorseman

Plans For The New Year...

Well, I am currently very happy with my progress thus far, considering my lack of leisure time. I'd like to simply continue with my ongoing tracklaying, and perhaps get a little scenery started. I'd like to scratchbuild a turntable and enginehouse for my locomotive servicing area.

I must say that having a "work In Progress" thread does wonders for keeping me coming back to the layout, as I feel motivated to show what I've accomplished recently. That said, I'd better get down there and take a few photos! :)

trainworm

i just need to get motivated and actually start the benchwork. i think i have done enough planning and procrastinating.

RailRon

1. I hope to finish the track of the standard gauge part of my layout plus the narrow gauge trackage in Ronville (SG/NG interchange) until Easter.

2. I'll have to restore all my narrow gauge brass locos which have been in their boxes for about 20 years to working condition. (All they do now is stutter along the track! :() Then I'll add DCC decoders to them.

3. Build up scenery and structures as I go along.

4. Hope to find enough free time to get all this done! :D :D :D

Ron

TrainClown

what I want to achieve in the new year

Happiness.

Stop beating myself in the head with a hammer.

Start my layout.

Build a module in N scale.

Get enough sleep.

TrainClown

shamus

Registered Member
Well well well, thats a great start my friends, now, over the next 8 weeks, lets see just what you can accomplish. Doesn’t really matter what it is so long as you are happy with what you have done.
If laying just 10 yards of track or painting the scenery is your goal, then you will have achieved it.

As I stated in my first post I have started my new (Run down looking) loco shed. The main frame is finished (But not stained or weathered) and the roof has been started. I expect my dear wife will pull me away to get other jobs done, but it won’t stop my motivation to complete it.
Shamus

ezdays

Out AZ way
Ahh, yes, goals. I've got a few train-related goals for the coming year.

1. Learn, learn and keep learning. This forum, a few books, MRR and some assorted web sites help a lot. Trial and error is the greatest teacher of all.

2. Make a couple of hundred trees and build a few structure kits while I'm waiting for our new house to be ready.

3. Finish the scenery on my current layout before I start taking advantage of all the room I will have for a different layout after we move.

4. When I have accomplished #2 and #3, I will be a step further doing #1.:)

Don

What to do? Where shall I begin?!
Well, I reckon I should work on getting my bedroom layout completed (He says hopefully!), continue work on an exhibition layout that I have already built the baseboards for (When I get the space!), and perhaps help to promote British HO in the coming year as well. All that and finish off my Street Van restoration in my Garage if and when the good weather gets here(!) And find a full-time job in order to pay for it all!
So much to do and so little time!:eek:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Finish the last half of my benchwork and lay track so I can run trains. With only one half of the benchwork done, it isnt to fun. But I still enjoy doing the scenery and scratchbashing structures.
Now I just have to finish the other half so I have a place to put it all.

CN1

Good question:D

Get all my boxcar "in gauge" (kadees #5 or #47)

Scenery

Finish the yard, add buildings and wharehouse

Paint the roads and add lines

Scenery

Install signal bridge

Install fascia

Scenery

Install diaphram on the passenger cars

Finish the freight depot

Scenery

Make lots of trees

Did I mentionned Scenery?

Scenery

Find more time to spend on the layout:) :)

Scenery?

:wave: :wave:

shamus

Registered Member
Quite a lot of you have made a commitment to achieving the end results. How about posting some photos later on of what you started and then, - photos of how far along you are along with the project.
Shamus