What do you think of using colored sand for grass?

I've just got some green and light green colored sand. The ratio is 2 green : 1 light green. I'm considering to use them to mimick grass. What I've noticed is that some of the sand "glitters" a little. I can get some green grass powder instead, but it will be inconvenient for me since it means going to a distant architecture shop. Should I or should I not use this colored sand?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Since you have it on hand, why not try it in a small section to see what you think?

Another option for grass/turf is dyed sawdust. I don't know how the effort of getting the dye and generating the sawdust compares with going to the architecture shop, but at least you have an alternative (possibly).

Good luck - necessity is the mother of invention...!

Andrew

rhtastro

Jul 27, 2007
Northern CA
Hi Mike, when I designed my layout, I was concerned about using sand since it might get onto the tracks and into the mechanisms that run on them. That may not be valid but it was a concern for me. However, since I was building my display using art foam, I found some that was green at "Michaels art supply". It works well where I want it to be green and I painted the rest a soil color using latex paint. It's a very fine dense foam, not like those found at home improvement stores which is lighter and more porous. You can also make ponds, rivers, etc when using foam. I used the 2" think version. Then bridges can be used realistically. Take a look at some of my pics from "Equity Junction" and look for the "green. Good luck, sounds like you're having fun. Bob

alexbnfan

Feb 18, 2007
N.E. NSW, Australia
This is my wonderfully weired and wacky way of making grass

Glue sawdust onto your surfach, dont paint it yet.

Add extra layers for thicker grass

Then, paint it a grass color. using a sponge can work too. Mix different shades of green

Then, if you want, you can using a fine brush, paint yellow on as flowers.

Then, its whatever you want to do with it.

I'll post pics later.
Alex