• Straight Model Photo of Layout/Structure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scratchbuilding Whatever

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spitfire

Originally posted by Matthyro
Val, the real benefit of this hobby is to do what you want and to spend time doing whatever brings you the most enjoyment. Sounds like you are having fun, I hope!

Oh yeah! A little too much fun!:D :D :D :D :D

:D Val

Gary Pfeil

Both, without a doubt for me. Every railroad I've built has had provision for continuous run. As others have stated, sometimes you just want to see a train running without having to "operate" it. But watching a train run around in circles, even large ones which twist all around, gets boring real quick if that's all there is. I've been fortunate to have a fair amount of space available for my layouts, the smallest was 5 x 14. On that one, only the run along the front 14' length was visable, both turnback curves and several staging tracks along the back were hidden. A turnout from that front track climbed a grade to the rest of the llayout, above and behind that lower main. Whenever I was in the basement, a train was running on that bottom loop, even if I was just going by for tools for some project I was doing elsewhere. But when I operated, I ran the rest of the layout. My currant layout is two levels, with the bottom being continuous run (but when "operated" it functions point to point) and the upper level point to loop. I had thought about posting my track diagrams in the trackplanning section along with my reasoning for doing things the way I did, but wasn't sure anyone would be interested. It would get rather long, like this post! If anyone would like to see it, let me know.

Gary

jon-monon

Val, I think if you look at your deep ionner self, you will realize, you too are a looper:

Originally posted by spitfire
all I need are 2 more modules, one on either end with a turnaround for the 2 sets of track and a crash course in wiring.

Go ahead, tack on some wood and close the loop...
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

jon-monon

I like your idea Steve, makes sense to have a track coming to your workbench.

One o fmy recent track plans has one track running off to the back of a workbench. The idea is to send a loco off from the bench after working on it or the car it's pulling. Kind of eliminates need for a test track too :D

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
You have devolped an interesting concept Gary. Yes please, we would like to see the track plan when you get around to posting it.

jon-monon

You have devolped an interesting concept Gary. Yes please, we would like to see the track plan when you get around to posting it.

Not sure you wanted to see mine, but I'll post mine on the track plans forum rat now!

Oops, I was thinking of Steve's built in bench idea. I'll post it anyway, since I've already converted it and transferred the file...

spitfire

Originally posted by jon-monon

Not sure you wanted to see mine, but I'll post mine on the track plans forum rat now!

Jon - isn't that supposed to be spelled "raht nayow"?

;) Val

HopefulAlan

Gary, I'm with the rest of 'em - post that track plan, please.

As those of you who have waded through my verbose, wordy, and otherwise lengthy posts on the Track Planning forum already know, I favor point-point if space permits. However, I see a real need for having some provision for running it continuously on some occasions.

So, I guess I have become a combo guy.

clumber

I have a combination of both, it allows me to run my local freight round and round whilst the other services go out and back (and also turn the cassettes).
Brian