What do you like best

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Yeah Railery, I love scratchbuilding, either a trestle bridge or structures.
I am in the middle of scratchbuilding another building for my layout at this moment in time, should have it finished next week.

i like to plan out layouts. Form the towns, sidings, the scenery like mountains, prairie, lakes. i also like to plan out the various industries. My other favorite interest is to watch videos of model layouts or real trains. Sort of puts me into a dream state
wink.gif

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Railery, Photography, is not high up on my list of things I love to do. After spending years photographing, and writing for magazines and being a photo journalist, for the News Papers, I only dig the camera out to photo new items on the layout, and that is with some reluctance sometimes. However, having said that, I suppose I still find a fascination interlacing photographs with computer manipulation.
Here's one I just finished.
santanite.jpg

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
This is what I always refer to as the "hobby within a hobby". I've gone through several phases over the years.
I guess the first thing I really got into, (and something I still love to do) was building scenery.(I still remember that first attempt - a 4x8 sheet of plywood, with what looked like a big green wedding cake in the middle of it)
biggrin.gif
The next phase was kitbashing structures, which then led to scratch building.
The next thing I tried was painting locomotives & rolling stock. This was something that I never quite mastered to my own satisfaction.
About 6 years ago, we moved into a smaller house, & I became in effect, an "armchair modeler". This wasn't all bad though, I did a lot of reading, & daydreaming about exactly what I want out of a model railroad.
Lately, I've built some dioramas, (I've actually had a local railroad museum express some interest in a couple of these) & I built a small N scale switching layout.
But now this narrow gauge bug is knawing away at me. I really want this next layout to be my "masterpiece".
You know, this really is a great hobby with so many facets, any one of which can take you away from work, bills, deadlines, & all the general stress of day to day living.
Oh yeah, last, but not least, I really enjoy shootin' the breeze with all the good folks at The Gauge
smile.gif

Talk to ya later!
P.S. Shamus, that is excellent work!

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited 01-31-2001).]

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
After running long passenger trains, I like the buildings best.

But I will settle for trouble free operation!

George.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Thanks Charlie,
Going into Narrow Gauge, now that is nice. I would love to build a layout to 0N3, or 0N30, but with my present layout at 99.9% finished and at the tender age of 64, NO, I'll stay as I am. If I were yonger with a better pair of eyes, say 20 years ago, I would have changed. Still, I am happy with what I have achieved over the many years of model railroading.

Steamnut

My favorite part is running live steam (any gauge, though 15" is the most fun). Unfortunately it's something which I don't get to do very often. Especially since we're renting here, and I really haven't had time or space to set up any gauge 1 outside in about 2 years.... (I make do with a full size traction engine I get to run about 4 weekends a year)

I also like detailing a scene with "clutter" and "junk" to make it come to life, unfortunately there isn't much off the rack clutter available in "N" (the other size that I tinker in)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Steamnut, I like that lineside clutter, rust belt, urban decreptitude look too. I built an N scale diorama one time of a locomotive & bad order scrapping facility. (I finally found a use for those old Bachman steam engines) It consisted of an old brick 2 stall engine shed, overhead crane, several lines of weed-grown track, wrecked & rusting equipment, & an off-line facility for truck loading. (I called it Sanford & Son Salvage) The entire facility (roughly 12x18 in.) was littered with tons of "junk". I used barrels, drums, pipes, wheelsets, sideframes, scaps of lumber, corrugated siding, old electric motors, gears from a couple of old cheap watches, & probably some other stuff I can't remember. Everything came from both HO & N scale kit scraps. I cut everything up into small pieces, painted it varying shades of rust, & I thought it was pretty convincing.
I guess the moral here is - don't buy detail parts until you've looked around the house first.

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited 02-01-2001).]

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
Probably scratch building but I'm relatively new to the hobby and have just finished the
framework,track laying,turnouts & controls.
Plan to install the DCC decoders and run the trains to debug the setup before getting into the scenery and scratch building. I am fasinated by Shamus's trestle bridge and waterfall workmanship (everything; rocks,trees->landscaping). The cost of raw material for the trestle's is unbelievable so I'm thinking of ripping my own strips. Any suggestions? Thanks, Jim

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Railery,
Your trestle bridge on your layout? Wow, that looks great. Like to see a photo when the scenery is complete.

shamus

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Hi Railery!

Thanks for the link. Looked it over but I think it would be more to Shamus's liking.

I'm not into narrow gauge. I prefer the big mainline scene with full length varnish and freights with over thirty cars. When something goes wrong, it makes for more dramatic crashes than a runaway logger!
wink.gif

George.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks for the link Railery - I saved it so I can look at it some more.
Hey guys, I like the big trains too. In fact, that's all I've ever modeled - since 1968. It's just that the narrow gauge thing struck me as something new - something that would challenge my abilities.
And George, if you think that careening down a 5% grade winding down the side of a deep gorge in a tiny steam engine, with 6 or 8 loaded log buggies, & no brakes wouldn't be dramatic - you, my friend, must have a cast iron constitution!
wink.gif
(If I, on the other hand, survived the ride, I know my underwear wouldn't)
biggrin.gif

Yeah i like running those big trains too
smile.gif

But without the dramatic crashes
wink.gif
Thats why
i am redoing my layout. My favorite consist is lashing up two Sante Fe Dash 8s or C 44-9s
to a 12 car intermodal with a caboose. Thats about 10' long, which looks good on my layout
. It would be neat to run a 30 car unit or
more.

i guess the HOn3 link is for Charlie.

Shamus thankyou for the compliment, but i had to tear up the old layout but i will post a pic of this trestle saved. i built it so that
it could be pulled out and set into another
layout. But i would love to have the formula
for your water and water falls. i want to incorporate them into the new layout with
this trestle
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Railery (edited 02-06-2001).]

Hello:

I think everything in model railroading! I like loosing the small parts. Using cheap glue when the good stuff runs out. Shorts in the wiring. Don't forget derailments over 1 area of track!

With all the swearing, I still love it. I love watching the passenger train pulling into the station. Now the next layout will feature a railroad from the late 21st Century. I will need alot of imagination for that!

Happy modeling,
Andy

LOve those pics!
smile.gif

Hi Jim n Rose, sorry for not replying sooner but i had software problems and been working a few long hours. But the answer to your question, The bridge is a Heljan model. All plastic. It is a very nice kit, i purchased two
wink.gif

And hey kf4jqd, i bet u got lots of imagination
smile.gif
to keep those trains running.

Shamus this is the water pic that i like
smile.gif
Can u describe how u did the water and water fall?
View