What do you have

Freelancer said:
I was just suggesting that this wasn't an all out, full fledged layout view like you guys have. Yes, it is a start, but it feels like I have been 'starting' for 15+ years. sign1

Freelancer
You never know what you may come up with,keep plugging at it.

L

lester perry

I love it. I like to see what others are doing. Hey ross31r they don't have to be good one show us what you have. This is a good way to get Ideas. viperman I like the way you tied 2 loops together. I am interested in the track shared by the 2 next to your controls. Is it a block that can be changed to accommodate the loop using it?
Les

L

lester perry

Harold I remember yours being high. Do you use a step ladder or have step stools?
Les

viperman

lester perry said:
I love it. I like to see what others are doing. Hey ross31r they don't have to be good one show us what you have. This is a good way to get Ideas. viperman I like the way you tied 2 loops together. I am interested in the track shared by the 2 next to your controls. Is it a block that can be changed to accommodate the loop using it?
Les
I have the turnouts there so I can have the train run from the inner loop to the outer loop, and around the styrofoam in the center, there is another block of track that connects the two at the upper end. You can see all my progress in my photobucket album at http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/viperowneratheart/layout/

L

lester perry

viperman I tried to go to photobucket and it wanted me to log in.
Les

viperman

Argh, I have to figure out a way to get all my pics up so you can view them.

Update: I just uploaded all of my pics in the gallery. Have to figure out how to get them all in one sub folder there so no-one has to search around for them

ross31r

lol, i have got four layouts to photograph (and i havent made any progress on any of them for ages), one of them is still the plywood central and the interurban line is little more than a collection of track sections and points laid out on a board atm!!!

Spookman,
My layout is an 8' x 11' "L" with each leg 4' or 5' deep. The entire thing is on adjustabel rolling caster so I can move it out from the walls to get behind it to work on th eback sides. Even so, it is a long reach across. Too long in fact. I'm either gonna have to cut a pop-up or learn to fly to get to the middle.
Doc

Art67

Lester, I think it is a great idea you have with this thread. My layout at the moment is only a 2x8 switching layout, however, I am in the process of adding another 2x4 section which will incrrease my layout size to 2x12. As soon as all the sawdust settles, I am going to add a overall shot of my layout on this thread. Once again, cool idea.

Stuart

L

lester perry

Spookman. Yes stuart will probably just go back and forth and if you think about it that is what a real RR does back & forth. You could take a 2 foot shelf the length of your basement say 30 feet. Put a 6 or 8 track hidden /staging yard on each end 3 or 4 feet long take them all to one track through a scene to an operational switching yard say 3 feet long with 3 foot lead in track alongside main line which will go to same set up on opposite end. Put some businesses which need rail service between and you have an operational layout. It is point to point so if you just want to see trains run it is not for you. But I think if you tried it you would find it much more enjoyable and interesting than running in circles. I have incorporated both in my layout I have 2 hidden yards and an operational yard with a continues loop If I desire to just watch trains run. Which isn't very often. This is a real quick explanation if you are interested I am sure someone could guide you to books or a web site to help you.

spookman

I love just watching 3 or 4 trains at a time run around a layout but I am planing a coal loading scene if I can get the coal cars and the scenery and a nice big engine. I want to get a dozen or so cars and run them through a loader and fill them with coal one at a time. I am originaly from West Virginia and when you said trains back then you were talking coal cars and logging cars. All the cars were black.

Art67

Hello Spookman. Lester pretty much summed it up with his reply. For instance, on my layout which will be 12 feet long, by 2 feet wide, I have incorporated quite a bit of activity. I have 6 seperate industries that recieve goods by rail, as well as an interchange track, a small 3 track yard and a pier facility that has 2 tracks with 12 spotting locations. A facility such as a pier warehouse offers plenty of switching opportunities to keep me busy. All this is done on a 2x 8 linear shelf layout. I have just added another 2x 4 section to it, but it has no scenery at the moment. I should be able to add a few feet to my 3 track yard, and another industry or two. One advantage of this is that I can keep adding on to my layout as more room can be found. Also, I like how it puts you right up close at trackside. I also find by adding small portions at a time, you can get things accomplished more quickly by only focusing on a small area at a time. These are only my observations and opinions on what works for me. There are many other ways of doing things and lots of great layouts on this forum where you can see all different types of layouts in many different styles. Hope that clears things up, and good luck.

Stuart

L

lester perry

spookman I am from West Hamlin, West virginia. About 25 miles out of Huntington where I was born. Most of my family worked for the C&O and when you talk RR there it is coal, coal & more coal.
Les

spookman

lester perry said:
spookman I am from West Hamlin, West virginia. About 25 miles out of Huntington where I was born. Most of my family worked for the C&O and when you talk RR there it is coal, coal & more coal.
Les

Lester I am from Richwood West Virginia. It is mostly just a coal town right now but in the old Days my father had the largest logging crew in the state. Richwood had a huge sawmill and logging business was going strong. By the time I was growing up it was just mostly coal.