What do I need

NewTrain

Apr 12, 2004
students.chs.lane.edu
I am new to trains(introduced by my job) ab\nd need to know what scenery i need and were i can get it for my layout. I mostly need grass stuff and buildings. but also need to know how to make pavement and gravel for the track to set on.

Welcome to the hobby. Since you're new, I would recommend going to a local hobby shop and buying (or ordering if the store doesn't have it in stock) Woodland Scenics' "Scenery Manual." It's full of "how to's," drawings, and photos for doing all kinds of scenery. Obviously, they plug their own products, but they are also the best known name in model scenery.

While you are at the store, look at the wide variety of scenery products that are available. You'll find everything from ground foam for grasses and weeds to ready-made trees and shrubs.

There are also several books available on the subject. One of the best known is Dave Frary's "How to Build Realistic Model Railroad Scenery." It's a bit expensive but well worth the money. It's also available from a lot of public libraries.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of other good advice from the good folks here on The Gauge.

One thing about doing your own scenery: it can be an "art form," but you don't have to be an artist to do it. It's much easier than it appears.

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
To add to Mike's excellent advice; if you have a model railroad club nearby, pay them a visit, look at their layout and ask questions. Most model railroaders love to talk about the hobby.

George