What difference is there in paper lb wise?

kbkline

May 4, 2013
North Carolina, USA
OK I'm trying to build some ISS parts and I notice I'm suppose to build in 110lb and 90lb paper. Is there a huge difference in how it will go together if I just use 110lb for all of it? What if I can only find 80lb instead?

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I use 110 lb. Paper for most things. It folds well, laminates well, kind of a do all paper. :)

cgutzmer

May 30, 2006
Sun Prairie WI
www.ecardmodels.com
Thats an interesting question :) Its amazing how much paper can differ. I personally use 65lb cardstock for almost everything and 110lb just for stuff that needs more heft. I find it too hard to roll into tubes. However that being said you should experiment a bit and see what you like. If you get 110lb paper from two different manufacturers it can have totally different properties - yes this is a pain! I found the 65lb wausau super bright I use actually handles pretty similar to some 110lb papers. The 110lb stuff I can usually get my hands on is from walmart and feels and handles way heavier than the higher quality 110lb I have found. I dont know if its how the grain is laid out or what but it really makes for a whole different feel when building. So I know it doesnt really answer your question directly but play around! For the purposes of most builds you wont find a huge difference between 90 and 110lb paper so I would stick to what your fingers like the most.

Overall I think most people (that I have seen mention their favored paper weight) tend to use 110 like Zathros.
Chris

kbkline

May 4, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Yeah I found there is a difference between the Walmart stuff and the paper that I get when I go to FedEx. I use to work in the press-room at a newspaper and I know there are huge differences in the same lb paper from different vendors. Seeing as how I'm doing mostly 1:100 scale I'll be sticking with the 110lb but I think I'll give 65lb wausau a try.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
65 lb. paper is a really good size paper to have also, it is easier to do tubes. 110 lb. does tubes, and strong ones too, it just takes more finesse to avoid crease lines. I have a tool with a long slot to start the bends. 65 lb. really laminates well and sometimes, for small really bendy parts, two pieces laminated are better than one.

Chris is also right about standards for what's supposed to be the same stuff from manufacturers. Some paper seems way more rigid than others of the same weight.

A good collection of wooden dowels will help you out a lot when it comes to tubes. :)

kbkline

May 4, 2013
North Carolina, USA
I found another source for help in making a good round large tube: pvc pipe. Very cheap. I had to sand a little bit to get the right size for the Antares rocket that I built and it worked awesome.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Toothpicks, wood skewers, straws, small radio antenna's, anything that works!

mbauer

Cardstock Model designer
Jan 31, 2006
Nikiski, Alaska
Paper weights can be misleading, unless you understand how they are weighed.

"Cover" 65lb is Different than "Bristol Velum" 65lb. The difference is the sheet size used when it is weighed. Cover 65lb is almost the equivelant of Index 110lb, while the Bristol Velum is a light wieght compared to Index.

"Basis Weight Sheet Size" is the sheet size that a manufacturer will weigh (500-sheets). 500 sheets of 125lb Tag will be 24" x36" (size of basis sheet size) = 125lbs, while Index 110lb at 22.5" x 35" will weigh 110lbs.

The only measurement that works for all paper is the GSM (grams per square meter).

When building models, I like to stick to one Brand/weight of paper for each model. (Brand = Wasau, International Paper, Georgia Pacfic, etc..)

"Brightness" is a term used by the manufacturers to describe how their product looks undeneath a special blue light. Different types of cardstock have different "Brightness" numbers. This affects how the ink looks on the paer. Index is usually a brighter looking paper, while Tag has a yellow sheen if placed next to Index. (92-96 brightness Index vs., 84 Brightness for Tag).

Lots to learn when it comes to paper. The best answer for your question, " What difference is there in paper lb wise?" is to determine what type of paper you have, Bond, Tag, Cover, Index, Text, Vellum Bristol, etc and then compare the GSM to each other to find the ideal workablity, plus strength needed for your project.

67lb Vellum Bristol is easier to work with (form parts), while 110lb Index is great for strength.

After awhile you'll find a brand/weight that you like to use. A big factor is how easy your preferred brand is to get!

I created a chart from different paper info sites. It is old and doesn't show certain weights. Notice that GSM is shown as g/m2 in the right hand column.

Mike

Attachments

• 2 Card Stock Equivalent Weights.pdf
    44.5 KB · Views: 32

mbauer

Cardstock Model designer
Jan 31, 2006
Nikiski, Alaska
As for rolling parts, I use almost anything that looks like it will work. For big projects, used 4" dia PVC pipe. For super small projects 1.5mm carbon rod.

1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/4" 2", 3", 4" dia PVC pipes at different lengths are used the most for my rockets.

I always roll the part around the "mandrel" and then wrap the part to it using cut rubberbands to hold it until I need to glue the part.

Mike

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Paper weights can be misleading, unless you understand how they are weighed.

"Cover" 65lb is Different than "Bristol Velum" 65lb. The difference is the sheet size used when it is weighed. Cover 65lb is almost the equivelant of Index 110lb, while the Bristol Velum is a light wieght compared to Index.

"Basis Weight Sheet Size" is the sheet size that a manufacturer will weigh (500-sheets). 500 sheets of 125lb Tag will be 24" x36" (size of basis sheet size) = 125lbs, while Index 110lb at 22.5" x 35" will weigh 110lbs.

The only measurement that works for all paper is the GSM (grams per square meter).

When building models, I like to stick to one Brand/weight of paper for each model. (Brand = Wasau, International Paper, Georgia Pacfic, etc..)

"Brightness" is a term used by the manufacturers to describe how their product looks undeneath a special blue light. Different types of cardstock have different "Brightness" numbers. This affects how the ink looks on the paer. Index is usually a brighter looking paper, while Tag has a yellow sheen if placed next to Index. (92-96 brightness Index vs., 84 Brightness for Tag).

Lots to learn when it comes to paper. The best answer for your question, " What difference is there in paper lb wise?" is to determine what type of paper you have, Bond, Tag, Cover, Index, Text, Vellum Bristol, etc and then compare the GSM to each other to find the ideal workablity, plus strength needed for your project.

67lb Vellum Bristol is easier to work with (form parts), while 110lb Index is great for strength.

After awhile you'll find a brand/weight that you like to use. A big factor is how easy your preferred brand is to get!

I created a chart from different paper info sites. It is old and doesn't show certain weights. Notice that GSM is shown as g/m2 in the right hand column.

Mike

These .PDF's that Mbaur are posting are very informative, well worth downloading! :)