What a MESS

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Renovo PPR, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Guy Behind the Curtains

Speaking of smilies, BTW, how many of you have noticed that you can now upload your own custom set of smilies?
  2. Seaboard

Seaboard Member

You know actually Peter, this ain't bad. I'm just not used to a quick change over. your doin a great job!
  3. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Where and how??

Found it but I got this message:

4. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

OK...My $0.02 worth...
    I liked the old blue Gauge presentation...easier on the eyes...
    Navigating is harder but I suppose it's just like getting used to a new town..
    Why do we need to "activate" the reply box...??
    I've lost all my subscribed threads...
    It seems to run faster...(I'm on dial-up...)
    Keep up the good work...! I feel content should be more important than form. And we have the best content AND people here. Cut & run..?? Not on your life.. (Two thumbs up..)
  5. FiatFan

FiatFan Member

Two things:

1. Way to go, Peter! Excellent work in moving to the new software. I know how hard it can be.

2. I come here for the people, not the way the forum looks.

Tom
  6. Peter T Davis

Yoooow, you're too fast. Didn't even get the hood closed on that one and you're there. Try again. :)
  7. Peter T Davis

1. Thanks for the kind words!

2. I think that's the most important thing. A lot of what I'm doing is to give everyone more ways to communicate. In the long run, what features you end up using are the ones that were successful.

Of course, a lot of it is behind the scenes too. For example, I think we'll be seeing a lot less spam (knock on wood).

8. CCT70

CCT70 Member

:1795: :gunfighter:

Hey Peter, is there a size limit on personal smilies? Mine are the same size as the default ones here on the baord, but when I uploaded them, they got really shrunken down. I figure it was a size limitation?
  9. Tommybza

Tommybza Member

how can i stop the clicking ,every time i want to look for some thing it clicks then a new window opens up, I have a web site for my weather station and it was a big deal to get it working good . now this could take some time i know that. but how do i stop the clicking ,And I lost the live feeds from members posts . thankks
    T
  10. Peter T Davis

I know what you mean, and that's definately something I want to fix. Annoys me too when it opens up a new window.
  11. Peter T Davis

To be honest, this is a new thingy I put in and wasn't sure how its going to work out. Maybe it does resize them. There is a size limit, but the limit is several times the average smilie size, close to Avatar size in fact.
  12. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I think they shrink down just for previews.

As a test, my own custom avatars:

:dunno:
    :nono:
    :nopics:
    :spam:
    :splatter:

Nope... shrunk all of 'em but Dunno and nono
    I guess there is a hight and width limit.
  13. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Great Pictures Wayne.:dance:
  14. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

Inline Images

Since some people are complaining about limits on inline images, let me give my druthers. No inline images. Why, because people abuse them by posting a ton of huge images to discussion threads (versus photo threads).

This may be fine for those with broadband connections, but it is not fine for people on dialup. Some folks in rural areas of the US are limited to 26.6K (not 56K) because of a telco practices. Try reading a thread that asked a technical question with that kind of speed, only to have a member answer by posting a string of high resolution images as an "answer." Even so-called 56K connections and 128K ISDN are unsuited for those kind of graphics.

And since this is a world wide forum, non-US members should be considered. I know that in some parts of the world, people used to be charged by the amount of data they downloaded. I don't know if that is still the case, but if it is, it is another reason to limit images in a reasonable manner.

Another forum I belong to (also running vBulletin software) automatically presents thumbnails (limit four) at the bottom of a post. If a user wants to look at the photos, he can click on the thumbnails and download them. If he doesn't, he isn't forced to eat the bandwidth. In my opinion, that is the perfect solution.

And Peter, let me add my thanks for the job you are doing.
  15. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Well Said "T" :) :)
  16. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

Torpedo,

I agree, but I suspect that unless Peter is willing to host the images on his server, this won't be an option.

I'm not familiar enough with the software engine to say whether it will do thumbnails for off-site hosted (like photobucket) pics. If it does, that would be great.
  17. Peter T Davis

Actually, I do host the images. You can put them in a thread as an "attachment" or in the gallery (which I'm working on this morning).

The 'problem' with this is that we have two camps here. One wants the full image to show in the thread, the other says they want the thumbnail because showing the full image slows down the site for them.

Bandwidth isn't a very big issue for me right now. Not that it's unimportant, but the hosting company that provides the server gives plenty of bandwidth in the package. We'll be restricted by the server's CPU and RAM far before we run out of bandwidth.

One thing I'm thinking as a half-way between the pro-thumbnail and anti-thumbnail factions is to increase the size of the thumbnails. I can try this, but it also might just make both parties more upset about the situation.
  18. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

I capped my ADSL account in March.:(
  19. Peter T Davis

You can always go in the User CP options and opt to have it not show you images and avatars, that might help a bit.
  20. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

Peter,

This may sound flip, but the maximum image size limits of the old gauge really made the hosted pics nothing more than glorified thumbnails. Lets face it, screen resolution is increasing all the time, and images that were plenty large when we all had 800x600 screens are pretty tiny now on 1600x1200 (or higher) screens.

The majority of pics that are embedded in threads are (I beleive) hosted off-site for just that reason. Even so, although I have broadband access, I'm not thrilled with threads that load up tons of pics.

I guess because the forums I first started using all have thumbnails, I don't see that as a problem. It is more of a convenience for me, and I suspect that if you can provide a reasonable sized thumbnails, most of the whinging you'll hear will disappear fairly quickly.

As an example, here's a post from another forum powered by VBulletin with 5 thumbnails to larger images. Even with my 1900x1200
    screen, these are plenty large to get the gist of what the pic's about, and if I need to see more detail, I can click on it and it loads quickly. And, it loads to an image browser, so if I do want to look at all the images in a thread, I can step through them without scrolling through all the posts.

All that said, I think you're doing a great job for providing this FREE (to us, that is!) service for us and your other interest groups.