what a difference

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by cn nutbar, Mar 26, 2007.

1. cn nutbar

cn nutbar Member

hello all---here's some before and after shots which demonstrate doctor wayne's excellent weathering techniques---thanks doc,you're a true artist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a special thanks to josh(trucklover) for your inspiration in creating this thread
  2. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

WOW!:eek: BIG DIFFERENCE on the FM H24-66 nutbar;). Wayne did a FANTASTIC JOB!:thumb:
    GLAD you started this thread:thumb:, does this mean you'll be posting ALL those AWESOME engines you have that Wayne has weathered?(i hope so!:D) the geep and F unit look OUTSTANDING TOO!:thumb: THANKS!:D-Deano
  3. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WOW, great engines Wayne, I love the weathering job on them!!! And Nutbar, Really good pics, you 2 make a AWESOME team lol. Thanks for sharing guys. Let's see some more!! :D :D
  4. cn nutbar

cn nutbar Member

hi deano and josh---thanks for your comments---ask and you shall receive---some more of doctor wayne's creativity

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

FANTASTIC ENGINES NUTBAR!:thumb: and OUTSTANDING WEATHERING WAYNE!:thumb: the geep and FM's look GREAT;). my question is, what model ALCO is that? i thought it was an RS11 at first, till i looked closer at the back of it, now i am not sure:oops:. PLEASE clue me in. THANKS!:D -Deano
  6. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Dean, I'm just guessing at this one, but the loco in question is either an RS-10 or an RS-18. I'm leaning towards this one being an RS-10, which was basically an RS-3 with a different body style, and perhaps some internal upgrades. They were built in 1956 and were rated at 1600 hp. The RS-18 looked very similar (I think that the air intakes along the upper edge of the hood were a bit different), but was rated at 1800 hp. They were built in 1957-58, and both CNR and CPR owned both types. Professor Nutbar owns at least one of each (CNR, of course). The models were done by LifeLike Canada, and were available in both CPR and CNR, and, if I recall correctly, several different paint schemes correct for those roads.
    Here's a picture of the two together. The RS-10, like an RS-3, was set up to run long hood forward, so I'm almost positive that 3632 is an RS-10. You can see how the air intakes are just a bit different on the 3079.
    EDIT: If you check further on in this thread, you'll see that my guess on these two units was wrong: the 3079 is an RS-10, while 3632 is the RS-18. Both of these units were set-up to run long hood forward. Sorry for the mis-information.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wayne
  7. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

NICE SHOTS WAYNE!:thumb: THANKS for posting the info on the AWESOME Alco's:). i wish UP had those, i would definitely get one;). THANKS Wayne!:D -Deano
  8. cn nutbar

cn nutbar Member

hello all---thanks for your help on this thread doc---i've been doing some research on the rs series and hopefully will post a new thread on the topic over the weekend---in the meantime,a few more shots of doc's workmanship

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. berraf

berraf Member

What a difference weathering makes :thumb:
    I like the way those locos are weathered because to often weathering goes out of hand but these are weathered just right. Not to much nor to little :)
    I love it!
  10. cn nutbar

cn nutbar Member

hi berraf---thanks for responding---always nice to hear from members from around the world :wave: --- i agree with your comments about weathering techniques---i think doctor wayne has perfected the art :thumb: ---whenever he weathers my locomotives,i just ask for "the usual" and the results are always consistently excellent---hope to hear from you again,cn nutbar
  11. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Amazing. Just the right amount of weathering the good doctor can create. Either that or he's leaving them outside for a few years to make them look that naturally accurate.

Outstanding job.
  12. doctorwayne

Geez, I know that I'm a slow worker, but gimme a break. :rolleyes: :D :D

Hey Herc!! Congratulations on hittin' your first 1,000. :thumb: :thumb:

Wayne
  13. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

HA HA...not to imply anything about the time it takes you to weather that well...only to make the comparison that you can somehow accurately capture what takes the elements years to create.
  14. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

By comparing to photos on http://cnlines.ca/CNcyclopedia/loco/mlw/mlw_rs.php 3632 is an early-production RS-18 like http://cnlines.ca/CNcyclopedia/loco/mlw/img_cn3672fl.jpg 3079 is an RS-10 with dynamic brakes in the long hood like http://cnlines.ca/CNcyclopedia/loco/mlw/img_cn3091fl.jpg
  15. doctorwayne

You're absolutely right, Triplex. The only reference book that I had on hand was an old Rail Canada Volume on CPR diesels. The photos show both RS-10 and RS-18 units, but I mis-read which was which, leading to my mis-identification. :oops: :oops: Personally, I couldn't tell the difference if I were run over by one, although, I guess by then it wouldn't make much difference anyway. :rolleyes: :D :D

Wayne