What a difference a set of wheels makes...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Just showing the newcomers you don't have to fork over long green for vehicles. I pick up Reader's Digest promo firetrucks shown below at yard sales and flea markets all the time for around a buck. Then I pop off the wheelsets and keep them in the scrap box for any of my many truck conversions, one of which is shown here in these before and after shots. The wheels are HO scale and work just fine. In this case, the Ocean City and Cape Charles Scenic Railway now has an open air tour bus to deliver riders from the Harrison Group Hotels ( Plim Plaza and Harrison Hall) that management has made package deal arrangements with.

busb.jpg

Thje fire trucks come in four varieties, this one being an off limits Christmas gift from a friend.

bus.jpg

I simply drill out the rivets and pop off the bottom, most times they drop right in.

busa.jpg

Now it's off to the paint shop for something a bit more subdued but you get the idea. Hope this helps you look at those Matchbox and Hot Wheels box lots a bit closer now.:thumb:

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
My Hot Wheels are off limits! I may use them on my layout, but putting them on there is just out of the question for me!!!!! I colect them actualy. I have the entire 2005 Final run set (never to be oppened for they include models I thought would NEVER be retired and were some of my favorites!) I'm trying to get a space for a rack to display them along with some others.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
That reminds of the pine wood derby racer my son and I made. He liked fiorttucks so that what re built.

It ddidnt go to fast but he got the blue ribbon in originality for it and we had hours of fun. We made the sets of hard lines on the sides from dowles and so forth.

That is a nice looking truck Shaygetz 'ol bud and a good idea

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Here it is stripped, the little booger took 48 hours, normally they lose their paint in less than 6. I've also filed the driver's window frames to give them a lighter, less clunky look.

bus6.jpg