What a bridge

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Here's a picture that a friend sent me of a bridge in France. It's billed as the highest bridge in the world. Not a RR bridge, but gee, wouldn't it be great to adapt it to your layout?:D

There are more details on the construction of the bridge here.

Attachments

• Long bridge.jpg
    Long bridge.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 50

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, this is apparently an in-process picture. All the cables aren't in place yet, and those red supports were taken down after they were.

I used to have acrophobia, but got over it many years ago. But... you'd play hell getting me to drive over this one regardless. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
eightyeightfan1 said:
I thought Royal Gorge bridge was the highest in the world. But after doing some conversion, this bridge beat it by 16 meters, or 52 feet.
Yeah, and I wonder what the sway factor is on a windy day. :D I didn't read all the details on the web site, but I'll bet it's gotta be a couple of feet out there at it's tallest point. :eek::eek:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Impressive bridge, but I agree with Andrew: I'd rather drive that twisting road at a good clip in an appropriate car, or, if I were a bit younger, on a motorcycle.
Wayne

Brian

Dec 19, 2005
New Waverly,TX.
eightyeightfan1 said:
I thought Royal Gorge bridge was the highest in the world. But after doing some conversion, this bridge beat it by 16 meters, or 52 feet.

I've been to the Royal Gorge bridge....man that thing is HIGH! The day my wife and I went there was a STRONG wind......at least 60 MPH......we could barely walk on that thing with it swaying.:D

tverskaya

Dec 28, 2005
BAS3487_hackel.jpg

Then you might also know this one.

Not as impressive: 1153m long, and only 52m high.
But it was finished in 1916, so you could use it for your Epoch II layout.

Didn't find a good aerial photograph of it on the web. Best to see it in person though.

ding chavez

Jan 17, 2006
Philadelphia, Pa
ezdays said:
Here's a picture that a friend sent me of a bridge in France. It's billed as the highest bridge in the world. Not a RR bridge, but gee, wouldn't it be great to adapt it to your layout?:D

There are more details on the construction of the bridge here.

the germans have alot easier of a time getting to paris now. :rofl

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Oh yeah - this bridge really is breathtaking! It crosses the river Tarn and is part of the A75 highway in southern France. It has six lanes (3 in both directions) and quite high side boards, so you don't even see the twisty road below.

I drove over it last summer, and I didn't stop to look if it swayed in the wind! But you have the feeling of flying high over the landscape. Crrrrazy!

BTW: The photo is made by a fish-eye lens which distorts the picture. In reality the bridge is straight! :( Would be even crazier, if it was built in a curve. But the I would think twice before going over it! :D :D :D

Ron

PS: Germany is far off in the North - no way to reach Germany from Paris over THAT bridge... :D