WESTLAND WHIRLWIND MK II - 1/32 - Zarkov

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by OldSalt, Jul 13, 2005.

1. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Thought I would take a break from tiny little ship parts and try something more suited to my gorilla-sized hands. I get the impression that Dr. Zarkov's models are well-designed and produce excellent results even in the hands of paper-slashers like myself. I have always liked the Whirlwind so here we go...

Fuselage construction was straightforward and presented no problems. Fit is excellent and the detailed cockpit was too nice to cover up so I guess I'll have to try the transparency route for the canopy (my first!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Piece 12b (tailwheel well interior) needs to be bent in profile to conform with the opening of the wheel well - not obvious in diagram E.

[​IMG]

I have just started the wing structure and chose to use the open intakes at the wing root. The wing framework is a delicate structure by itself so I chose to add gussets at the inner ribs on each wing (not visible in the photo.)

[​IMG]

More coming soon if all goes well...
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks OldSalt...............I like the Whirlwind too...

I bought Nobi's............. but 1/48 is kinda small (I got big grabbers too!).......... I was thinking about the Doctors' model but got the Mustang instead. Ill be watching this like everyone else! But it already has me getting ready to order this.

Looks very good so far!

john
  3. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

The wings are done and attached to the fuselage. I chose to open the intakes on the wing leading edge at the root (kit option) and am glad i did - they look good! Construction of the engine nacelles requires some careful shaping of the wheel well plates (17e and 19e) and the piece forming the top and rear of the nacelles (17f and 19f.) These parts are thick and require careful shaping to avoid delamination. Once they are properly curved the fit is excellent - but it was a slow incremental process. The diagrams could be more clear on the profile of these parts but I had learned from the tailwheel well so was not surprised. There were several small joining strips whose location i never did figure out (17d and 19d) but the nacelle went together OK.

[​IMG]

I have not yet installed the wing/fuselage fillets - they require some careful shaping and curving and I am not yet satisfied with them. The fit is excellent but my skill with compound curves is not back up to speed...
    The nacelle is not glued in this photo.

[​IMG]
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Neat! OldSalt, your score is going to go from 2:137 to 4:135 pretty soon.....

Tim P

PS still sticking rib strips on my Arizona; kids broke up for summer hols on Friday, so MAYBE I'll have a bit more time to myself for a few weeks!
  5. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Got the wing fillets done without too much heartburn. Just a couple hours of bend/test fit/bend/test fit/repeat until it fits.....

The aft portion of the engine nacelle was troublesome because I had an incorrect image in my head as to how it related to the wing trailing edge, Because of this I did not have it shaped correctly when I joined it to the front part of the nacelle. I ended up doing some slicing and reshaping after the nacelle was in place. The port nacelle should go much smoother. The horizontal stabilizer was also pretty routine - excellent fit as usual. For a change of pace I messed about with some of the landing gear bits - no problems so far, just a lot of tube rolling. I have printed the canopy transparent parts and am trying to work up my nerve to try finishing the canopy off. I haven't done a transparent canopy before so it will be a new (learning) experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Got the wing fillets done without too much heartburn. Just a couple hours of bend/test fit/bend/test fit/repeat until it fits.....

The aft portion of the engine nacelle was troublesome because I had an incorrect image in my head as to how it related to the wing trailing edge, Because of this I did not have it shaped correctly when I joined it to the front part of the nacelle. I ended up doing some slicing and reshaping after the nacelle was in place. The port nacelle should go much smoother. The horizontal stabilizer was also pretty routine - excellent fit as usual. For a change of pace I messed about with some of the landing gear bits - no problems so far, just a lot of tube rolling. I have printed the canopy transparent parts and am trying to work up my nerve to try finishing the canopy off. I haven't done a transparent canopy before so it will be a new (learning) experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]