western figures in HO

Cookie

How much different in visual size is the Airfix figures in 1/72 scale in comparison to 1/87 HO scale? (I think they will be too large). I am looking for cowboys, indians and any figures that will add to the scenes of the Old West . I have ordered from Musket Miniatures but I am looking for a second source.

thanks for any websites or information.

shaygetz

Cookie said:
How much different in visual size is the Airfix figures in 1/72 scale in comparison to 1/87 HO scale? (I think they will be too large). I am looking for cowboys, indians and any figures that will add to the scenes of the Old West . I have ordered from Musket Miniatures but I am looking for a second source.

thanks for any websites or information.

They scale out at about 7'-7'6" in HO scale...kinda tall.

Cookie

western figures

Shaygetz..........thanks for the information. The way it sounds ....they would make a good basketball team but a bit too tall for cowboys and indians. thanks again JIM

spitfire

Unfortunately Cookie, there's not much out there in the way of western figures. I searched Walthers and came up with 1 cowboy on a horse from Preiser, and another cast metal unpainted one from Selley Finishing Touches (which didn't look too good).
I guess you could get away with some Victorian figures for town and station scenes, but as for working cowboys... there doesn't seem to be much choice. :(

Val

Cookie

western figures

Spitfire......thanks for the reply. Musket Miniatures may be the only supplier for what I am looking for. I think part of the enjoyment of a model RR set in the old west is trying to come up with what will work. I guess I will have to get out the Dremel and start grinding away on a (spelling?) hoola dancer and make her look like an Indian. It's gonna work ........I can feel it!!!!!!!! thanks again JIM

Cookie,
I bought several sets of the Airfix figures and while they seem to vary a little, all in all they're not a good match. Preiser makes a few. Other than that, Rustic Rails is the only other manufacturer that I know of. I've had some lick kitbashing modern day folks.
Good luck.
Doc

Cookie

western figures

Doc...........some really nice pictures. I have the digital camera but no hook up cord for the computer plus I fall into the catagory of "dumb computer person". I made a note tonight about getting a cord and learning how to send photos on the web. It would be great to be able to send you the pictures but I am still learning. I am also in the beginning stages of a 4X8 layout (small ...but it works for me). I have limits on space. If I can figure out the picture thing I hope to send some out. Thanks for the response. JIM

Thanks for the kind words. I have a nice space, but not a lot of time. Believe it or not, what you see is about 3 years worth, calendar-wise.

Lookin' forward to seein' what you've done.
Doc