Well, I wanted to contribute SOMETHING to this forum :)

Here's some pics from a year and a half or so ago from the amazing Day Out With Thomas! :)

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

7d7d89f4.jpg

CCT70

Those pictures are priceless.

Heck, I'm 31 years old with no kids and *I* still watch the show when I catch it on TV. Rick's right, I think Thomas is probably the best ambassador railroading has for children.

I was at California State RR Museum in Sacramento one time to do some research in their library and didn't realize that it was during the Day Out With Thomas event. I looked out the window and I swear it was a sea of little striped engineer hats about 3 feet tall. I was AMAZED at the crowds of kids. I can't wait until he comes back in May (I think?) so I can take my ex's two kids Jasen, 6, Brianna, 4) to see it, they are all excited and have the day marked on the calendar.

CNWman

CNW Fan
CCT70 said:
Those pictures are priceless.

I looked out the window and I swear it was a sea of little striped engineer hats about 3 feet tall.

sign1 yeah, I guess we're all Thomas buffs:D Heck, I was at Sams club the other day and I was browsing the Thomas DVD sectionsign1 , that and I had a dream about Mavis last nigh for some reason. I can't remember what it was about, but it involved Mavis, pK2000 couplers, and running over josef stalin:D

CCT70

You're lucky you still have your youth. My dream last night involved Peg Bundy of all people washing locomotives at the museum with us in Portola. sign1

Sometimes it sucks to grow up... :rolleyes:

Our Day Out with Thomas was SOLD OUT!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I think Thomas is great for kids in so many ways. It attracts them to trains and teaches them so much.

I have to admit, I have never had Thomas dreams per se, but I have had dreams about trains a LOT lately! LOL

Thanks guys, he loves that you guys have commented on them! He's sitting rihgt here!

Torpedo

hamr
CCT70 said:
My dream last night involved Peg Bundy of all people washing locomotives at the museum with us in Portola. sign1
announce1Now I'm gonna have nightmares. :rolleyes::eek:ops::curse::cry:hamr.hamr:D

CCT70

Well... Come to think of it, Katey Sagal *is* kinda hot without the bee-hive do...

But I'll spare you the details of the water fight in the dream. sign1

Oops.... Sorry. hamr

Collyn

Thomas is what go me into trains. I was extra Lucky. My dad was working for Ertl( the company that made all the die cast thomas models) up until it was sold to another company. So I got losts of thomas

shaygetz

This time last year a vote had to be brought up in the club I was in as to whether Thomas could be run on the club's portable modular layout at shows. Seems one member had a beef about a blue toy running thru his $1000+ module. sigh Though Thomas won the day, he was confined to a small loop of track on one specially reconstructed module. With two family memberships and two newspaper articles favorable to our club directly connected to that little blue engine, I couldn't believe it even had to be brought up. That was the start of a string of little events that made for a very long year in the club. I wasn't the best witness for my faith all the time but it found me ultimately having to turn in my membership to keep the peace last December.

I believe Thomas to be the one thing that will carry on this hobby to the next generation. This hobby is not important to me but the little blue engine is as it provides a common ground that most anyone can relate too and a direct link between kids (most importantly my own children) and my layout that they are free to operate whenever and wherever they want.

Great pics:thumb: :thumb:

radar

Looks like my grand son he was thomas for halloween. he all so has all the DVDs and train sets only 4 yrs old has more locos than pa-pa!!!

CNWman

CNW Fan
shaygetz said:
This time last year a vote had to be brought up in the club I was in as to whether Thomas could be run on the club's portable modular layout at shows. Seems one member had a beef about a blue toy running thru his $1000+ module. sigh Though Thomas won the day, he was confined to a small loop of track on one specially reconstructed module. With two family memberships and two newspaper articles favorable to our club directly connected to that little blue engine, I couldn't believe it even had to be brought up. That was the start of a string of little events that made for a very long year in the club. I wasn't the best witness for my faith all the time but it found me ultimately having to turn in my membership to keep the peace last December.

Who was that guy? Mr. Realist? Shesh,some people don't get it. You guys could have even said it was a Day out w/ Thomas going on in your layout.

cn nutbar

great pictures---isn't it wonderful that trains can put a smile on people's faces---check the smiles on these kids faces

120406010.jpg

Pooh Bah
Shaygetz: years ago someone wrote in a Brit magazine that they had been asked at a show if they would run someone's son's Thomas. This was a P4 layout (like proto87 but 2.33 mm wider). They looked at it, saw that it had been converted (from OO) and given a compensated chassis so they said "why not?"
After looking at hisco's pictures, it has to be prototypical (if only in the diesel era).

CNWman

CNW Fan
cn nutbar said:
great pictures---isn't it wonderful that trains can put a smile on people's faces---check the smiles on these kids faces

120406010.jpg

uh, I don't think the kid in the front is smiling at all...

CNWman

CNW Fan
shaygetz said:
Seems one member had a beef about a blue toy running thru his $1000+ module.

I've been thinking about it, and come to a better conclusion. If he had a beef about a TOY running on his module, then he's wached in the head. What does he think was the fore father of MRRing? If I remember corectly, Model Trains ARE toys take away all the hype and such. so he was denying the whol point of his modules existance to be done. what an airheadsign1

CCT70

cn nutbar said:

120406010.jpg

What a priceless photo.

So which one is you? :D

radar

found pix of grand son as Thomas the tank engine:thumb:

Attachments

• Web Halloween007.jpg
    Web Halloween007.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 58

shaygetz

CNWman said:
You guys could have even said it was a Day out w/ Thomas going on in your layout.

That's basically how he's run, just on the little loop of track. I was stunned more than a bit as to where it all ended up. I have the blessing of two other clubs in the area and plan to see how they regard children in the hobby and Thomas before I join up. In the end, the problem was that I don't take the hobby as seriously as other more influential members did and the two views made for an unhealthy mix. It's just a hobby and even if I could afford the expensive locomotives those guys ran, I wouldn't buy them as I have better uses for my extra money.

My 5 year old boy took this pic off of our Christmas garden...

DSCF4451a.jpg

Our local science museum has a wonderful train layout with several different scales. They have a loop dedicated to Thomas. My son however, had to go to the desk and tell them they were running Clarabel backwards... LOL

I think that unless you are demo-ing a layout for a specific era or somethig that comes along with a history lesson or something... why not run anything that will work on the track?!?!? Its not like it hurts anything. Maybe thats just me... but its true, these are all just toys. Granted they are great toys, they are toys! ;)

ok, better go play thomas with my son before he crushes thios computer.