weird buzzing?

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I was having a problem with a decoder acting weird, so i again decided to install it in another locomotive to see what it does. My AMD 103 had the 9 pin plug in it already, so i just installed the decoder in there to see if it was a wheel/connection problem on my GP38 (where the decoder came from). except when i out it on the tracks, the motor started buzzing away as if it were sitting on the tracks without a decoder. I quickly took the train off, but then i notice i only had the throttle set for 1, and so i put it on again at a higher throttle setting to see if it would run.

again, just buzzing. I checked the decoder, now damage was apparent. i looked to see if the motor was touching or making a short anywhere, but i couldn't find anything. I covered the bottom tab of the motor anyway to isolat it, then tried again, still buzzing.

i removed the decoder, and then put it on the tracks, and there was silence.

This decoder was running before, although very oddly and "glitchy", but now it just buzzed. Is this a problem with Athearn's PC board, or is my decoder really that busted?