Weight

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Depends... what kind of rolling stock?

Most Athearn, Accurail, or other "simpler" kits can be dissassembled enought to get the weight inside, if there is room. Box cars, reefers, some covered hoppers, and some tankers are easy enough.

For open cars like gondolas or hoppers, the easy answer is to add a load of some sort. Scrap, pipe, wheels, coiled steel, etc in gons, coal or aggregates in hoppers. Flat cars are a challenge, although covered (tarped) machinery, lumber, or crates offer opportunities to hide weight.

The hardest car to weight properly is probably the empty flat. You can adda false deck, or a cast metal deck, but that may add noticable "thickness". If the underside is noot overly detailed, you may add weights there, or fill in between the centre "spine" if there is one. Changing to metal wheels and couplers adds a few grams...!

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
A-line makes a moldable lead that you can stuff into nooks and crannies underneath a car. I've used it on flat cars, and also in steam locomotives to fill in sand domes and other irregular spaces.

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
I've had good luck using lead bird shot that I pour epoxy over. It works well in most applications, except as noted before on flats. I've also had good luck with the moldable lead in spine cars. I've used the bird shot on loco's (in the fuel tank, or under side of the shell) in hoppers (just poured in the bottom) and others. The epoxy not only binds the shot together, but adheres it to the shell at the same time.

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
As was said before most "simpler" kits are easily opened.....
If its a box car and you can open the door you can get weight in quite easily.

Metal wheels go a long way too if you dont have them allready!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
If its a box car and you can open the door you can get weight in quite easily.

Depending on the kit, not all boxcar doors open... much to the frustration of the LPBs!

Accurail for example - but the whole shell will come off the underframe quite easily. :thumb:

Andrew