Weekly Photo Fun of The Week:9/28

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Ralph...love the mood shot!
Tom...I love that section of the layout.....BEAUTIFUL!!!
Mark...Great shot! The open boxcar looks great!!!
Jeffrey... awesome work!!!
HERC...great modeling....great pics!!!

finally planted a few trees:winker:

photos317.jpg

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Thank you Scott:thumb:!....I really appreciate your kind words. As a great admirer of your work, it means a lot coming from you....

Click on the links in Scotts signature to see his beautifully inspirational and unique layouts! (if you haven't already:winker:)

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I have to say I've always liked that blue and yellow SF scheme. Does it have a nickname like the silver and red being the "Warbonnet" scheme?

Ralph, I don't have any actual historical learnin' but I think the particular blue and yellow scheme in the photo above is called the "bookends" scheme due to the fact that the yellow on the front and the back sandwich the blue sort of like bookends. Now, Santa Fe also does a scheme just like the red and silver warbonnet except in blue and yellow. This scheme goes either by "blue and yellow warbonnet" or simply "bluebonnet".

If you already know this, forgive me, and if I am innaccurate, someone please correct me!

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Thanks Ralph. Regarding the blue/yellow scheme...I once read it somewhere referred to as the "book end" pre '72 scheme. I guess it was called that because of the yellow coloring found on the nose and rear of the diesel...but I'm not a Santa Fe expert and will need to do more checking on this question.

chessie4155

Mar 17, 2006
Vincennes, Ind.
www.geocities.com
That's interesting about the pre 72 paint scheme. I never knew it was called Book Ends. The yellow nose on the post 72 freight engines I thought was called Yellow Bonnet, and the red nose was War Bonnet . I'm no expert, this is from things I've read or was told. All of the schemes were pretty cool looking..Also I had heard that the post 72 Santa Fe Yellow Bonnet scheme was how Chessie got the idea for their scheme...

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I've been doing some online checking (I don't have any books describing ATSF's color schemes in detail) and I've noticed the "bookend" description is only attibuted to the pre '72 yellow front/rear blue schemes that predated the warbonnet yellow/blue schemes used on most freight routes. Please if there's an expert in ATSF out there - jump right in here and give me the straight scoop. Atlas also refers to the pre '72 blues' as "bookends". Somewhere, someone knows the "why" and "how come" to all of this. As for me...I like all the ATSF schemes - even the zebra stripes!

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Cool info! Thanks! Add to the (possibly incorrect) "bookend" scheme...the "billboard" scheme of yellow front/rear coloring. History is always interesting. Anyway...here's my favorite scheme no matter what wears it...the red and silver warbonnet!

Attachments

• Copy of PA030682.JPG
    Copy of PA030682.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Copy of PA040584.JPG
    Copy of PA040584.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Copy of PA040583.JPG
    Copy of PA040583.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 72

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Matthew! Good to see you!

Black and white doesn't do any justice to the orange C on this Geep switching at Hedberg Aggregates but with the black locos, black hoppers, and piles of black stones being loaded it seems fitting.

hedberg2.jpg

Ralph

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ralph, I don't have any actual historical learnin' but I think the particular blue and yellow scheme in the photo above is called the "bookends" scheme due to the fact that the yellow on the front and the back sandwich the blue sort of like bookends. Now, Santa Fe also does a scheme just like the red and silver warbonnet except in blue and yellow. This scheme goes either by "blue and yellow warbonnet" or simply "bluebonnet".
Aside from Santa Fe no longer existing... The blue and yellow warbonnet - some people call it bluebonnet and some yellowbonnet (since the "bonnet" part is in fact yellow). And some reserve those terms for silver/blue and silver/yellow F-units, and I don't know what those people prefer for the blue and yellow warbonnet.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I'll tell you what, if I was parked that close to the tracks and something like that came thundering by 4' from my window, I'd probably end up having to clean the seats afterward!

Kanawha

Apr 1, 2007
Glendale, AZ
Dear Lord, the 2101 is a powerful engine! It must be hauling 30 cars there without a booster.

And to think, it was originally built as a 2-8-0 and rebuilt as a Northern later.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
HEY FOLKS, just a reminder, this thread IS CLOSED to pictures...but COMMENTS are still WELCOME.

PLEASE post NEW PICTURES to THE MOST CURRENT "WEEKLY PHOTO FUN" thread. THANK YOU!
mysmilie_63.gif
-Deano