Weekly Photo Fun 8/17

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
When I was a little kid, my dad had a hustler with the rubber band drive. I remember that thing could do Mach 3 if you cranked it up. He still has it but who knows which box it is buried in as he has had all of his trains packed away for many years now.

My neighbor just found one at the thrift store. We sent away for new rubber bands as they had somehow melted to the trucks and I cleaned up the engine. I think Mach 3 is a little slow for how fast that engine can go. sign1 I am sure that if it could stay on the track it would be as fast as any slot car racing set. Great little engine though.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Ralph, NICE SHOT!:thumb: your downtown scene looks GREAT!

Mark, AWESOME SHOTS!:thumb: I REALLY LIKE the shots you have been posting the last couple weeks, GREAT angles:bravo: .

Jeffrey, I'm not familiar with a "Hall type" locomotive, it looks foreign:confused: , can you tell us more about it:smilie: .

Ed, i know you photo-shop your backgrounds in, but man, your layout looks GREAT!!:thumb: sure glad you've been posting pics of it:winki::mrgreen: .

CNWman, sorry to hear what a pain its been to get that Hustler running, but it looks like you have a handle on it now:winki::thumb: .

i have never had a Hustler, they were mainly owned by an industry so they could move cars around their plant till a rail line would pick up/ drop off more cars. i never had an industry big enough to make one of use. i remember there was one at the power plant downtown(Wisconsin Power & light)that they used to shuffle coal cars around till the CNW would drop off/ pick up a new load....the plants still there, but the hustler and tracks have been long gone:frowns: .

Went to dads today, we decided to finish ballasting his layout but needed to make a trip to the LHS to get more ballast...of coarse i seen an engine i liked...but didn't get it:eeki: .....yet:119: .

it was a Metra engine, after riding the Metra(owned by UP:thumb: )two weeks ago, i was inspired to get a model of it, but wasn't sure how easy it would be to get cars for it, so i passed on the engine:eeki: . by the time we got home i talked myself into getting it, so i called Rick and told him to take it off the shelf and set it aside till i get there next weekend to pick it up:toug::mrgreen: ...another project to add to my LONG LIST of things to do:roller: , will i ever learn?:confused::119: .

ANYWAYS, we got 99% of his layout ballasted now, just have to finish a couple switches:thumb: . the lighting is weird, but here's a pic of one corner of dads layout. :deano: -Deano
dadslayout.jpg

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
My neighbor just found one at the thrift store. We sent away for new rubber bands as they had somehow melted to the trucks and I cleaned up the engine. I think Mach 3 is a little slow for how fast that engine can go. I am sure that if it could stay on the track it would be as fast as any slot car racing set. Great little engine though.
It's funny you should say that...
Every year, my dad and I would pull out the cardboard boxes of trains and slot cars and set them up on two and a half 4x8 sheets of plywood out in the bunkhouse. We had enough slot car track to have it three levels deep in some places... way beyond what the kids get in the boxes these days AND we had the good stuff... the track that connected with pins and clips... not this snap track garbage that breaks if you look at it cross eyed. As well, we set up the train track also that entertwined in, around, and through the slot car layout. The best part was the Aurora crossing where the slot cars actually crossed the train track at the same level. Well we took this little hustler (among many others) and put maybe 3 or 4 cars behind it and let her go around. We would then race the slot cars around the track and try and beat the train back to the crossing. We had some horrific crashes (I could really elaborate here!)! Of course the cars back then didn't have as strong of magnets in them as the cars of today so it took some throttle skills to keep from spinning out around corners and actually make it all the way around before the train did. It was something! Thanks for the memories that brought back!
rrcross.jpg

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Jeffrey, I'm not familiar with a "Hall type" locomotive, it looks foreign:confused: , can you tell us more about it:smilie:
UP SD40-2: You're correct in that it looks foreign. In fact, it's British. If you've seen the Harry Potter movies, you've seen a Hall type loco. That one is the Olton Hall #5972, one of 11 of the type preserved. It's much more colorful than mine. The Hall type or Hall Class is a 4-6-0 mixed traffic locomotive designed by Charles Collett. The prototype, #4900, was built in 1924 with construction proper starting in 1928. 259 were built in number ranges 4900-4999, 5900-5999 and 6900-6958. My model represents the #4936 Kinlet Hall. The modified Hall Class was the 6900-6958 line. The Stanier Class 5 and the Thompson Class B1 were both based on the Hall Class design.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
TrainNut- Wow!:eek: I never knew that such a peice that allowed slot cars to mingle with model trains existed! Thanks for posting the pic!:thumb:

MadHatter- Nice!:mrgreen::thumb: Never seen even a model of a South African engine, but I can say they look very cool.

jeffrey-wimberl-Stop making me jelous!:eek: I love those Alco FA's (but I'm still not happy about the fact the CNW never had any, and they were the 'ALCO' line, no less!:eek:wall1:curse:)

jesso- Nice find for your neighbor! My Hustler doesn't have its rubber band drivers anymore. An open-frame motor is now what powers my hustler, and I'm still, ah 'housebreaking' it in:mrgreen:(it's still jumpy, but it was recently repaired, so not all of the jumpiness is from inactivity)

No pics from me right now, guys. :curse: camera can't hold acharge for beans (and yet it lasts hours for my mom somehow!!!!!:curse:wall1) Still, great shots everyone! Keep 'em comin!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
WOW almost 2 pages of FANTASTIC pics in ONE day!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

88, Love the Housatonic, Looks really cool in that paint :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Chessie, SWEET pics, I always love seeing your layout, I always see something new :mrgreen: :thumb: :thumb:

Deano, Dads layout is looking even more SWEET!! :thumb: :thumb: I really didnt think that was going to be possible, I am always AMAZED by you two :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jeffrey, I like that loading dock scene, nice details too :thumb: :thumb: and love the GMC 2-axle flatbed and dryvan :mrgreen:

Tom, BEAUTIFUL MP15DC!!!!!! It looks so cool in the Rail Link blue and white paint, I want one :cool: :mrgreen:. BTW, Nice hoppers too :thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Tom, great looking switcher and a nice scene!

Jeffrey, your loading dock scenes could almost be mistaken for prototype photos as you rail fanned! Your details inspire me to want to do more with this scene on my layout.

5-29-2007-04.jpg

Ralph

chessie4155

Mar 17, 2006
Vincennes, Ind.
www.geocities.com
Slekjr:As always Awsum proto pics, keep em comin:thumb:

Deano: Your Dads layout is realy coming along, cool scene:thumb:

Jeffery: Cool pics:thumb:

Tom : Nice shot. Love the MRL paint scheme:thumb:

Ralph: That scene looks pretty good the way it is:thumb:

Pool power on an Eastbound on Ramsey Curve;
HPIM2051.jpg

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Thanks guys!
Well SD, using real life background shots in my pics, looks a lot better than using the real life background in my pics.
Someday...However......

Attachments

• 000_0007.jpg
    000_0007.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 10

FiatFan

Jul 16, 2004
The paint scheme is a little deceptive. The engine is lettered SRY Rail Link. Both the SRY and MRL are owned by a conglomerate listed as The Washington Companies. SRY stands for Southern Railway of British Columbia.

Here's another shot of them already at work.

The switching crew is making its last delivery of the day. Three covered hoppers of dry ingredients are being delivered to Puppy"s Pet Products to be unloaded by the night shift.

IMG_2111.jpg

Tom

chessie4155

Mar 17, 2006
Vincennes, Ind.
www.geocities.com
Jeffery: More cool pics.:thumb:

88fan: WOW:eek: sure makes a difference..:thumb:

Fiatfan: Thanks for the correction, those paint schemes sure look alike. Makes things hard to tell from a distance..Cool pic of the street running.:thumb:

A little to close closeup shot of 1977:eek:ops:
HPIM1975-1.jpg