Weekly Photo Fun 7/13

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Truck Lover- yeah, i know. I don't even bother with cheap things anymore. the last time i left the hobby shope, i had all Genesis or Atlas rail cars, and Atlas and P2K u-boats. Then again, my 4x8 isn't so big, so it shouldn't hurt so much to invest in nicer models...

B28_82, Love the big blue in the back! Are those SD80MACs? i wasn't able to get any conrail ones when they were available, and now people pay mega-bucks for them. maybe i'll get lucky one day.

UP SD40-2- Nice! You have to love those first generations diesels. they are alot more pleasing then the boxes on the rails now! The only question i ask, is where is the GG1?

Doctorwayne- Those U-Boats hit the spot, what part number are those ditch lights? The alco and steam is also awesome.

Alright guys, see you all next week.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Deano...those are some FLAT-OUT AWESOME pics!!!!:eek::winker::thumb::thumb::thumb:
It is also nice to see you and your Dad having a great day together!

Josh...beautiful trucks!!! Your weathering is so natural looking!:thumb::thumb::thumb:. You have been working sooooo hard.......It is really paying off!!!!
GREAT JOB!!!!!

Wayne...I always love your narrated photo pieces:thumb::thumb::thumb:. Beautiful shots and I always learn something!...can't ask much more than that!

I always love looking at "Photo Fun" each week:thumb:. But I must say that this week's has been especially enjoyable. A BIG thank you to all have posted their pics and or comments.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
B28_82 - AWESOME, Glad to see that you got some running time :cool: :mrgreen:

Deano - SWEET Pics!!!! My favs are Illinios Terminal #1605 (something about that paint that just looks cool :cool:), and the BN #5383 :mrgreen:

BTW, thanks for the compliments on my trucks :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wayne - FANTASIC pics!!! I love the U-boats!!! Those look AWESOME :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: especially with the striped faces :mrgreen:

G.E.C. - I mostly buy the higher end stuff now to, except for Athearn Blue Box kits, those are great and I really like them :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and they are a great price to

Ralph - Thanks, I like the detailing on the back of the Atlas ones to, those 4 door bars really add tons of detailing in and the nice crisp lettering makes it even better.

Steve - :wave: WOW :eek: thank-you so much for the kind words :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

chessie4155

Mar 17, 2006
Vincennes, Ind.
www.geocities.com
Trucklover: Excellent weathering on those trailers.Well done.

b28 82: Glad to see your able to run some trains. Keep us posted on your progress. That's a neat swing bridge you made. Good idea.

Deano: Great Pix. That Big Blow is HUGE! Thanks for posting.

Doctorwayne: Thanks for posting that neat timeline. It's always a pleasure to see your layout.

This week is off to a Fantastic start. Keep em comin Folks!

Caught this Conrail local at P.T.Jct., jut a workaday local except had a surprise on the tailend, wasn't expecting this.
HPIM1485.jpg

HPIM1487.jpg

tomkat13

Jun 2, 2007
www.usgennet.org
NP boxcar & 44 ton power.

WOW!.....So much & so many different photos! Everyone pat yourself on the back....

Here is a boxcar at the dock with a 44 ton hooked on.

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3098x.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3097x.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks Chessie :mrgreen:

Tomkat - More cool pics!! :thumb: :thumb: and more nice weathering :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

here are a few more pics

Atlas 45' Redon with White Hubs Trailer

45_ft_Redon_Wht_Hubs.jpg

45_ft_Redon_Wht_Hubs4.jpg

45_ft_Redon_Wht_Hubs5.jpg

45_ft_Redon_Wht_Hubs8.jpg

Norscot Coal Mine Caterpillar

Coal_Mine_Caterpillar1.jpg

Coal_Mine_Caterpillar2.jpg

Norscot Caterpillar #1

Caterpillar_Number1.jpg

Caterpillar_Number1_2.jpg

Caterpillar_Number1_3.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Wayne's Story Continued....

In the 1920s, the Erie Northshore and the Grand Valley began a joint operation to move coal to a power plant in Mount Forest. For their share of the haul, Erie Northshore used copies of USRA Light Mikados, like the one pictured below.
2007-01-10_3271.jpg

These soldiered on through the '30s and '40s, joined in the early '50s by MLW FAs, from new parent EG&E.
U-boat_photos_and_other_locos_005.jpg

By the Early '60s, the Mikes had been retired, leaving the task to various FA/FB combinations.
U-boat_photos_and_other_locos_008.jpg

Eventually, the MLWs were supplanted by these big U-boats, from GE:
100_5552.JPG

Last year, a date was set for closure of the outdated power plant. Rumours abound that the big GEs, specially purchased for this service, will be sent to an undisclosed road for testing. If the tests prove successful, a long-term lease may be in the offing. Here's one of the units on the Lowbanks turntable.
U-boat_photos_006.jpg

Wayne
Most of you that follow the Tales and lore of Union Pacific's "Rock Valley Sub" located in Southern Wisconsin are quite familiar with "Big Ed", he's the crew chief on the Sub, and though his Father worked for Fairbanks-Morse building engines, he had another tie with railroading too....

I remember well when Big Ed used to spend the summers in Lowbanks Canada, Of course, in those days everybody called him Lil' Eddie:winki: . He used to stay at the home of his cousin, Cliff Sjoblom and both he and Cliff used to chum around with Cliff's neighbor, Al Moon. They were all about 6 or 7 years old when this started, and it went on until they were in their teens.

EGE1.JPG

Cliff's Dad fired for Al's Dad on the EG&E, and Al later went on to become Superintendent of Motive Power for the EG&E. As kids, the three spent a lot of time hangin' around the shops in Lowbanks, where Cliff's Dad was assigned at the time. Later, when he was transferred to the EG&E, working out of Hagersville, Ed continued to visit, and all three lads (Al's family had moved too, when Mr. Moon had been re-assigned) managed to get quite a few cab rides or trips in a caboose. Some of Lil' Eddie's fondest memories was of the EG&E's Northern #501 and a 2-6-6-2 that i am sorry i cant recall the number of.:eek:ops:

EGE2.JPG

EGE3.JPG

Even after they had all grown up and gone their separate ways, they always kept in touch.:winki:
When it was announced that the power plant in Mount Forest would be closed, Al knew that he'd need to find a new home for those big U-boats, as their main task was hauling the tri-weekly coal trains out of Port Maitland, up the steep and twisting grades to Mt. Forest. A quick 'phone call to his old buddy "Big Ed" got the ball rolling, and, when the paperwork was settled, it was decided that the three units would be assigned to Union Pacific's "Rock Valley Sub" on a long-term lease.

The First pic is of Big Ed PROUDLY standing in front of the three NEWLY leased EG&E U-36CH's the day they arrived on the Sub. the rest of the pics show the leased units in action on the Rock Valley Sub:winki: .
EGE4.JPG

EGE5.JPG

EGE6.JPG

SIDE NOTES:
I PERSONALLY would like to THANK MY VERY GOOD FRIEND WAYNE for all the Black and White pics he provided, and the history on Big Ed's past with his Canadian Cousins in Lowbanks:winki: , THANK YOU WAYNE!:bravo: :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I have been a BIG FAN of Wayne's EG&E layout:winki: , and when i learned that at one time the U-36CH's were for sale, I knew i had to have them:winki: . THANK YOU Wayne, for letting me purchase these FANTASTIC works of art:smilie: . These units will NEVER be altered in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM, and will ALWAYS have a happy home here on the Rock Valley Sub:winki::mrgreen: . :deano: -Deano
EGE7.JPG

the_sub.JPG

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wayne wanted to sell those BEAUTIFUL U-boats? :confused: :confused:

And you got them Deano!!!! :eek: Better you then mesign1sign1 those prolly would have set me way back hehehehehe

Now to read the story you just posted :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I couldnt help posting when I saw the pics of Waynes engines and they were on your layout and I saw the words "and when i learned that at one time the U-36CH's were for sale, I knew i had to have them"

Deano, you are one lucky duck :twisted:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Great job on developing the storyline, Dean. :thumb: :thumb: I can't think of a better home for those U-boats than on your Rock Valley Sub. I like the pictures, too, especially the ones at the crossing. They look so much more like they belong in the scene than they ever did on my '30s-era layout. Great work!! :yep: :-D :-D

Wayne

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Kurt
Great shot to start things off! It is a really cool scene!

Chessie4155
Nice meet at the grade crossing!

TrainNut
Neat shot!

Green elite cab
Great looking stuff! I can’t wait to see the E60’s are done up!

Steve
Nice looking NP unit!

TrainNut
Nice proto steamer shot!

Smoke
Awesome! I really like your update paint schemes!

Ralph
Neat shot!

Deano
Nice looking patch unit!

Josh
Sweet looking BNSF unit!

Kurt
Cool scene and detail in the box!

CNJ999
Awesome scene!

CN Nutbar
Great looking steamer passenger train!

Catt
Cool looking units!

Chessie4155
Great shot! I think I felt the ground rumbling!

Green elite cab
Awesome job on the E60!

Josh M
Great looking trucks!

B28_82
Looking good!

Deano
Great set of proto shots!

Wayne
Great set of shots and great looking locos!

Chessie4155
Great looking loco and “surprise”!

Tomkat
Awesome looking scene and weathering on the cars and loco!

Josh M
More great looking trucks and scrapper!

Deano
Simply awesome!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
2 More Trailers

Thanks Tom!!!

Here are 2 more Trailers I just weathered today

Atlas 45' Burlington Motor Carriers Pines Trailer with White Hubs

45_ft_Burlington_Wht_Hubs.jpg

45_ft_Burlington_Wht_Hubs4.jpg

45_ft_Burlington_Wht_Hubs5.jpg

Atlas 45' XTRA Lease #2 Pines Trailer with White Hubs

45_ft_Xtra_Wht_Hubs.jpg

45_ft_Xtra_Wht_Hubs3.jpg

45_ft_Xtra_Wht_Hubs5.jpg

45_ft_Xtra_Wht_Hubs7.jpg

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hello everyone---this has been an outstanding thread so far---many thanks to all that have posted---i want to especially thank deano for your all efforts in making this thread so successful---i was blown away with the pictures from the museum and then to see that you have purchased doctor wayne's u-boats---they couldn't have found a better new home---welcome to the eg&e fraternity

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Now that was too cool Dean!!! I liked the story, the soft fuzzed sepia toned photos and the way those U boats look on your layout! NICE!!!!
Ralph

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Mark, GREAT SHOT!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

tomkat, AWESOME switcher and unloading pics!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Josh, i am OVERWHELMED by all the GREAT weatherings you have done:winki::thumb: .
hello everyone---this has been an outstanding thread so far---many thanks to all that have posted---i want to especially thank deano for your all efforts in making this thread so successful---i was blown away with the pictures from the museum and then to see that you have purchased doctor wayne's u-boats---they couldn't have found a better new home---welcome to the eg&e fraternity
THANK YOU nutbar:smilie: , and THANK YOU to EVERYONE for the complements:smilie: , REALLY, THANK YOU:smilie: .

I think we need to put credit where credit IS DUE:winki: ,
Larry(Brakie) came up with the idea for this thread, so HE gets the credit for that:thumb: .

I am just a single spike in the tie that holds the rails of this thread together:winki: . the REAL PEOPLE to THANK are YOU FOLKS that contribute to this GREAT THREAD:bravo: . I am talking not only about the "regulars" on here, but those that pop in every now and again too:winki::thumb: .

THIS thread is really quite AWESOME:winki: , BUT, it could be MUCH BETTER:eeki: . Just think if EVERYONE that had a camera on here posted JUST ONE SHOT A WEEK(or more:mrgreen: ), NOW, wouldn't THAT BE AWESOME!!!:mrgreen: It doesn't have to be of a made up scene, or of a finished layout, it could be a pic/s of progress you have made, a weathered boxcar, a favorite engine or freightcar, a building you have just finished, a pic YOU TOOK railfanning, heck i think ALL OF US would find ANYTHING TRAIN RELATED VERY INTERESTING TO SEE, the possibilities are really quite endless:winki: .

Leaving you folks with that thought, though this weeks thread is going OVERWHELMINGLY GREAT, PLEASE, keep what i said in mind and make EVERY Weekly Photo Fun thread BETTER then the last:thumb: , it CAN be done, but it takes YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS to do it:winki: .
THANKS! :deano: -Deano
EG-E_leased.JPG

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
BRAVO......Wayne and Deano!!!!!
great work guys!!!!!!!!!!

Tom...beautiful work on that wall.....and everthing else you got going on there!!!!