Weekly Photo Fun 11-7/11-14

jeffrey-wimberl

My project this last week was to retrofit an Athearn SDP40F chassis from the standard blue box drive to hex drive. It now sports a new motor and flywheels, screwdown motor mounts, hex shafts, delrin worms and nickel silver wheels. It now runs as quite and smooth as any of my Proto 2000 and Atlas locos.

This is before the retrofit:
P1010255.jpg

And after the retrofit:
P1010256.jpg

The contact strip will be removed later when I install a DCC decoder.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Cool Jeffery :thumb:

Deano, thats another BEAUTIFUL unit you have there, i LOVE CNW :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Herc Driver

Southern Power

Haven't posted a picture in so long...almost forgot how!

(The layout is still a "work in progress" so this is a pretty rough picture.)

Some Southern diesels gather in the afternoon awaiting orders and their turn to leave the yard.

Attachments

• Copy of PB070460.JPG
    Copy of PB070460.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 9

Herc Driver

Athearn Nscale Santa Fe F45

These Athearn F45's are great! It's a heavy diesel, weighing much more than a similar size InterMountain, or Kato. Smoothest Athearn motor I have, without a doubt and much better than their SD70 series motors. They did a nice job, even modeled the cab interior. My only complait is the blue surrounding the windows looks to be hand painted (but you can only tell that on an extreme macro-photo).

Attachments

• Copy of P1000215.JPG
    Copy of P1000215.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 11
Looks great y'all - love that CNW grime UP. I'll be back in a second or two to post our picture of the week.

Jeffrey - can you really get those Athearn engines to run like a Proto? What do you think it costs in parts dollars to do it?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
A quiet moment near the locomotive facilities at Kings Port. That old MOW truck sure looks shiny new considering its age! Time for the weathering brush! :)

IMG_0570.jpg

Ralph

The latest from UP and DMandE, oops, that's CP in Mankato - MN

Finishing up the equipment for the scrap yard . . . I had to warn the little people about starting fires.

Attachments

• Magnet Scrap Yard 163.jpg
    Magnet Scrap Yard 163.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 10
  • Gauge Bio Diesel 166.jpg
    Gauge Bio Diesel 166.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 9

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Rusty, that load of scrap hanging off the big magnet is a brilliant detail!
Ralph

jeffrey-wimberl

Jeffrey - can you really get those Athearn engines to run like a Proto? What do you think it costs in parts dollars to do it?
Once I install the decoders in them getting them to run together won't be a problem. As far as parts dollars, I'm just using what I have at hand, in this case a P2K E6 chassis that was donated by another modeler who wishes to remain anonymous. It's been sitting on the shelf collecting dust so I'm putting it to good use. But as far as cost goes, I can get a P2K E6 for around $60, maybe less. An Athearn RTR chassis of the same size as the SDP40F would probably run around the same price.

steamhead

Great pics everyone..!!! That scrap yard is TERRIFIC..!!
ShayG...What is that monster poking its nose out of the enginehouse..?? AWESOME..!!

Shaygetz - awesome shot of that huge steam engine coming out of the shed!

Trucklover - it's a Siku excavator - drilled out the pins on the bucket, used styrene for the attachments, an old paint cap for the "magnet", glued the attachments to the paint cap, wrapped it in paper from drill bit packaging so it wouldn't look so much like a paint cap, nails for new pins and a black rubber thingy that fell off a load of pipes for the elecrical line. It was a one-evening project with my son. We mixed some water and elmers, mixed in weathering chalks and made it look dirty/rusty. The real one we saw had more scratches that had rusted - working on how to model that.

e-paw

I did some more work on my semi scratch built K1as. The valve gear is still giving me some trouble. I am up to try # 3. So I decided to take a brake from that and do some lettering.

Attachments

• K-1as.jpg
    K-1as.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 11