Weekend Question 11-11 & 11 - 12

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Have any of you Veterans, or any Veterans you know.. ever ridden a train when you were being moved around While you were in the service?? Shipped out?? Shipped back Etc....
Please mention, when and where you were headin.... if you want to...

rfmicro

Sep 24, 2006
Chicago, IL to Boston, MA October 1968.

Regards,

Trent Mulkern
Mechanicsville, MD

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
Novermber 1950. New York to San Antonio, Air Force. Longest trip I'd ever been on a train. Up night and day playing cards.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Jan 1953, went from Newark, NJ to Denver. I think the Chicago to Denver leg was on the California Zephyr. I road that same train a few months later when I finished school and went back to NJ on leave. I don't think I realized the significance of the train ride then since it was the most popular mode of transport at the time.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
In 1966, while in the Coast Guard, I was transferred to Groton Conn. for engineman school. I flew from San Fran to New York, and then took the train from Grand Central Station out to New London, Conn.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Yes I was on one of the last troop trains .

1974 in Panama. WE moved a battalion from the Atlantic to the Pacific side for a week long bivouac(?) at the Range complex to qualify with weapons.

It wasn't one guy with a ticket and a regular train but a special troop train like in WW11.

It didnt take to long.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Thanks Gus. Proud to do our part.
1983. Frankfurt, Germany to Wurzburg.Don't remember much of the ride. I was so jet lagged out from the flight from good Ol' USA, I feel asleep.(I guess the beers I had at the bar at the station, waiting for my train to leave didn't help either)
Also rode the tubes in Munich during Oktoberfest(More beer) going from the Olympic stadium to the site of Octoberfest.Guess that counts a a train...Right?
At Ft Hood in '84, did railhead loading for our little three week vacation to Ft Irwin California. Wanted to go as a train guard, but I was loaded up on a C5A instead(DANG!)

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Miles: I believe I had to take a bus to Salinas to catch the UP going North on that trip. I don't remember any rail line into Ft. Ord proper but there may have been just for freight and military equipment. I imagine you are aware of the South Pacific Coast narrow gauge and the logging railroads in the mountains north of Montarey near Santa Cruz.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
In WW2, my father probably rode trains except when they had to go by ship.
Probably a number of trips around southern Ontario for training, the to Halifax for the ship. In England, Liverpool to London. This part of the trip he was absolutely glued to the window; he says he couldn't understand the guys who sat in the middle of the compartment playing cards.
A number of trips around Britain. He went to Edinburgh on leave once and just kept going back. He says he may be the only serviceman who never changed at Crewe.
He was also on the tram between Cairo and Heliopolis. One time they had drinks with ice cubes in them and he spent the trip back with his head out the window, being sick down the side. He said that seeing how close the poles were to the cars horrified him on the next trip.
On his return, he was landed in New Jersey opposite New York City and the took the train from there back to Toronto; he doesn't remember which station they used.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
My wife's cousin was in a US Army tank regiment. They were taking them all somewhere and one flat car developed a hot box. It was cut out and left on a siding and he (and some others) were left to look after them.
A switch engine crew came by and took them (not sure of all details) to town and back. He said it was the best time he had in the army.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Don't know for sure - all the military service in my family has been in the UK, so I would guess that yes, both my grandfathers probably went by train somewhere.

VIARail Canada just ran an interesting train - 60th anniversary of many of the British warbrides arriving at Halifax. They toured from parts west to Halifax to great support and cheers at every stop. Very much like the veterans' train that was run last year.

Andrew