Weekend Project...

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by EngineerKyle, Sep 30, 2006.

1. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

Morning,

I've a project for this weekend.

Consider the picture below.

I need to add a system of conveyors to carry potash from the pit below the ovens (lower right) up to the tower (left). Anyone interested in me doing a little tutorial on this? I can do it in about 5 pics and a few paragraphs.

I'll title it "Rapid Scratching - or - How to Create Stuctures Quickly and on a Budget"

Conveyor Project1​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see larger versions at the RailImages site below.
  2. viperman

viperman Active Member

Go fot it. May be some good reading
  3. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

Rapid Scratching

"Rapid Scratching - or - How to Create Stuctures Quickly and on a Budget"​

Conveyor Project

First, I have decided to only tackle the top half of the conveyor. I marked the towers orientation to the layout and brought the gatorboard (black) right over to the workbench.​

[​IMG]

The majority of styrene parts come from Cornestone watertowers. I will also use Cornerstone safety cages for ladders, Central Valley stairwell rails and an old Athrean frame from a 50' box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The watertower walls were scored, split and rearranged.

[​IMG]

I will use a car case base for the foundation, and pilfered some of my son's lego toys for some bogies and treads.

[​IMG]

Time for paint. Everything seems to end up better if I start out spraying primer. If you keep the nozzles of the cans off and soaking in mineral spirits, you can get a LOT of mileage out of a cheap can of spray paint.

[​IMG]

Well, that's all for now. Time to let the paint dry. Any Suggestions of critiques?

4. kirkendale

kirkendale Member

Looking good, while your paint dries I think i'll sign off and go do some brick scoring in plaster... check back with ya later.

TTTFN
  5. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

Here it is.

I really got going and forgot to take progress pics.... anyway, here it is 90% done. I tryed a new technique for roads and landscape. I had a roll of foam insulation laying around. It's about 2.5" wide and very pliable, almost like nylons. I rolled that out on the gatorboard wet with 50/50 white glue for the roads. I clumped some more of it around and covered that with strips of the same foam material soaked in stucco patch. I applied it over the board ala plaster strips and I like the result.

[​IMG]

The trees are dryed false spirea flowers, spraypaint and WS ground foam. My tall grass was cut from a horse-hair shoe brush ($2.49) and pushed into "Seal-All" type household glue.

[​IMG]

I also used a foam packing block as part of the base. Pretty much as is, I'm liking the texture of foam.

[​IMG]

I lucked out on the "potash" The chemistry teacher at school was tossing out some stuff, and I ended up getting a little ziplock bag of sodium carbonate. I'm sure that chemical is a by-product of the solvay method, so the stuff you see in the tower is a real as it gets!

[​IMG]

I think I'll put a "before and after" in SPF tommorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments, suggestions welcome :)
  6. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

WOW that is great Kyle!!! You pictures made it look easy (but I know it was harder than that). Really nice job! I'm sure there's a contest around here somewhere you should think about entering that work in.
  7. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

Thanks Herc....

Actually is was kinda easy. I lose trasck of time when creating, and must see it through to the end in one session. it's kinda hard for me to wait for the glue to dry, sometimes.
  8. viperman

viperman Active Member

Kyle, that looks great! Really like the road you parked the car on there too