Weekend project for nasty winter weather..painting trains

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Project for this nasty weekend.

I have in HO two F 7;s in the bright C&O paint job, a powered Backman I just bought locally and a dummy Tico.

There was minor differences in the paint, one had a silver detail on the side, the others hood was orange instead of blue. The trucks were different sizes.

I painted details from each on the other and got a good match. I also added a windshield to the Tyco which needs lights yet at this point.

Some car color paint in dark blue I got to paint a repair on my Cadillac matched the blue paint almost perfectly and I used that on the hood of my Tyco.

Once the windshield glue drys I will take a pick

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
The Blues from one brand to the next arent a perfect match but it is hard to notice. All in all I am plaesed the the results.

zzzzzzCn0F7A.jpg

zzzzzzCnOF7B.jpg

This shows both engines complete. I looked for my B unit today but didnt find it. That can wait for an other weekend.

zzzzzzzCnOF7C.jpg

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Today I may buy the Rico station for assembly this week. It may be to large however for my layout. Any suggestions about that?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about the blues being different shades, locomotives spend almost all of their life out side in the weather, so paint tends to fade. I see old Santa Fe local switchers all the time down here in blue and yellow warbonnett, and no two units seem to match. The paint scheme is the same, but the colors fade at different rates. for a b unit, you could probably pick up an Athearn dummy fairly easily.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I think that your paint jobs turned out well, Gil, and the two units look good together. :thumb:
The Rico station is a good-looking model with a home on many layouts.
TrainBrain104.jpg

I "flipped" mine, putting the freight section on the opposite end, to better suit the site that I had available. You could probably chop off most of the freight shed, leaving only the short section with the dormer on the roof, and re-work the end of it to fit in the open end of the main station. Shorten the roof to suit, and you've almost halved the footprint of the building. (You'd need to cut off the base in this area, too.)
Another option would be the Atlas station. Not the newer one, but the original older one. I have only these two pictures of partial views of one of mine (out of over 1200 photos!!:curse: :rolleyes: ), but this is a very well-engineered kit, which goes together easily. Paint it in your own road's colours and you should be able to fit it in anywhere. Extra platforms, with canopies, are also available separately, and I've made it my standard small town station.
100_5874.jpg

Again, most of the station is hidden behind the freight car at the left, although the platform and shelter is visible.
100_5882.jpg

And, what a surprise!! I found a couple more shots that show the Atlas station more clearly. Here's an early view of South Cayuga, showing a lot of stuff that's not really ready to be seen. :eek:ops: I added another platform and canopy on the opposite end, and extended the platform on the near end.
100_5754.jpg

And finally, a shot of the Elfrida station, featured in the first two pictures, this time shot from on the layout, facing out towards the aisle. I believe that may be the Northern Lights visible in the upper part of the photo. :rolleyes: :D :D
100_5719.jpg

Wayne