Weekend plans for new backdrop Jan 13, 14, 15.

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by jeffrey-wimberl, Jan 12, 2007.

1. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

I have my weekend project lined up. Building a new backdrop. I got new poster paper today for the back plate. The scene is printed but still needs to be cut out, that's a couple hours work right there. I have to take down the old back plate, as the backdrop on it is fading and is definately looking it's age. The new back plate will have to be assembled and attached to the wall. This will be done with wood glue, as before, and the back plate will be held in place with thumb tacks until the glue dries. The seams will be covered with masking tape, then the whole thing will be painted Nimble Blue. After the paint is dry, the printed sections will be joined together and attached to the back plate with a thin layer of white glue and allowed to dry. The last touch will be to add some clouds.
  2. CCT70

CCT70 Member

Are you using pre-made printed back drops, or making your own?

The reason I ask is because Target can now do poster sized prints and many modelers now use that relatively inexpensive service to make backdrops from their own pictures. THAT is a cool thing to be able to do as you can really zero your layouts local down and what looks better than a photo backdrop anyway right?
  3. jeffrey-wimberl

I print my own backdrop scenes. The nearest target to me is 60 miles, one way.
  4. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

I should start working on mine, all I've got right now is a sky blue board with scenery stains on the lower part.
  5. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Do you print them on 8.5 x 11 paper?
  6. jeffrey-wimberl

Yes.

These are pics with the present backdrop. The new one will be very similar. It will be brighter, not as faded and will be crisper. Consider these as BEFORE photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]