Weedeater Engine

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by TCable, May 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

TOO MUCH IS NEVER ENOUGH? WELL, THIS IS ENUF.

Alan Scholes' unique stadium truck started out as a Thunder Tiger Nirage V-spec with a .21 engine, but he bumped the displacement to a 31. No, not a ".31"; Alan installed a31cc weed-trimer engine! By camparison, a .21ci engine displaces just 3.5cc, and we all know that's still enough for wheel-spinning,dirt-roosting action. This truck's engine is nearly 10 times bigger! Alan says he brought the engine as a remanufactured unit for just $60 and used CAD software to design a new 6061 channeled-aluminum chassis: hey, he is a mechanical engine, y'know! Check out these other features:

__Streched 13 inch wheelbase.
    __Rear-wheel drive(no room for the original 4wd stuff).
    __Cable-operated throttle.
    __Custom-machined clutch bell fitted to a shortened crankshaft.
    __Custom-machined steel gears.
    __Custom-machined intake manifold with K&N Filter.
    __Kyosho Landmax F-150 body.

And the ride? Alan says, "I have been pleasantly surprised by the performance of the truck; at first, there was just too much torque, and it was hard to control, but after I had installed an intake restricter, it settled down nicely and is a perfect backyard basher. The engine is verry reliable, doesen't flame out and will idle all day long. Run time is 45 minutes to an hour on one tank of fuel. I love running without making pit stops!" Still, Alan hasen't finished with this beast yet; he planes to increase its durability with heat-treated gears and will make "other improvemnets as needed. "One thing is for certain: "more power" isen't on that list!

There is all is, but sorry I cant post any pics, no scanner. I hope this sort of in a way helped someone.
  2. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

the engine must be the whole car. why make an rc go-kart? it would be to big to have any fun. it wouldnt be a big deal seeing that they have real cars that are rc
  3. TCable

TCable Member

Wow, that sounds cool. Do you know where I could get a copy of that article or issue?

The only articles I could find from the August 2002 issue (online) are the following two:
    Go Big! We install XTM Racing’s big block T-Maxx kit and 24.7 engine Kevin Hetmanski 6/19/02 August 2002
    OFNA 9.5 RTR From racer to ready-to-run Stephen Bess 6/19/02 August 2002
  4. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

the article was in the Backlot of rc car action, it was in the verry back of the book
  5. monsterrcbuilder04

they dont post those articles on the site.
  6. TCable

TCable Member

7. monsterrcbuilder04

the video screen didnt pop up for me. i just got the screen that is blank and no player
  8. TCable

TCable Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.