Wednesday Oil or Water?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

I added foliage and trees around the caboose/office.

What kind of paint do you use?

Because of where I have to paint I could not use any solvent based paints due their fumes. When I got back into the hobby I started out with Polyscale. Everything was fine until I started airbrushing and then I had tons of problems with the Polyscale. Also about this time my LHS was not keeping up on his inventory of paints. As a result I was frequently out of certain colors I needed.

On the suggestion of a forum member I tried craft acrylic paints. I had a large stash of these from when I used to paint ceramics. After I gave them a try I had not used anything else. I use them with paintbrushes, and with the airbrush.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Having two asthmatic kids and a highly allergic mother-in-law in the apartment has me re-evaluating my paints. I still have a large collection of oils, prudence dictating that I should use them up because of the money invested. However, with the success of my acrylic weathering of my Big Boy, all new paints will be water based.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I prefer using Floquil paints for base coats and color coats. Then Testors dull coat to seal the decals.
For weathering I use a combination of both solvent and water based paints.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Water-based for brush work, laquer or oil for spraying. I cannot use solvent-based paint in closed quaters anymore, after 25 years of doing silkscreeing as part of our business, I've become too sensitive to things like laquer thinner, so any spraying is done outdoors.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Water-based whenever possible. A spray booth is on the list for my next workshop...

I do use some spray cans, but only paint outdoors or in the (open) garage - which is not attached to the house.

Especially for landscaping and weathering, I find the waterbased stuff much more forgiving and easy to work with.

Andrew