Web Links for Traction parts.

swampdaddy41

Mar 5, 2007
Trolleybus Retrievers

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure about those O-gage ones. Years back MTS offered a generic ACF Brill kit which was available (in HO) as a trolleybus or a motorbus version. I am sorry I did not buy one; but, it was metal parts you had to glue together and this was just a bit before 'super glues' became commonly available.

At any rate they did list the 'retriever parts' for a few years in Walthers catalog. Not for years now. And, I've already turned a couple out of styrene sprues leftover from kits. Still, I wanted to see what was made that might look better then what I've done.

I might fill in a little here on my efforts. The two streetcar routes were serviced by Bachmann PCC cars, several AHM LRV cars and the newest (at least as to purchases) were 3 Roco articulated streetcars (German, but based on the PCC car).

In addition, for years, on several layouts I've run the Brawa HO trolleybuses. These are a bit unrealistic as the poles are mounted up front (to actually steer the bus) and the overhead is a bit oversized. But, they are ultra reliable, the overhead is tough as nails and a few other benefits such as a 4" turning radius. I did experiment with a unit running on slot track with poles mounted in the correct spot but still drawing power from the overhead. This experiment from around 1970 worked well; but, due to the slot track, it looked terrible. So I went back to the front steering poles. Then lately I noticed the Faller Car System which uses a battery for power, and a magnet on a slider piece attached to the front axle to steer the bus. I bought one of these expensive sets and after a bit of tweaking it ran well. But, you were always recharging the bus. So, I figure, put poles on it and draw power from the overhead -- no recharging needed. Swivel shoes would be nice at the end of the pole. Someone in Australia has made this sort of pole; but, I have yet to get a pair for experimenting.

Experimentation has about ended for now as I am packing up the city, tearing apart the benchwork, etc. in preparation for an upcoming move.

I am sure I will post more; and I hope to find some photos. You can go here to look at some of the bus fleet I have (powered and non-powered) and one streetcar:
[URL="http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/swampdaddy40219/album?.dir=/34d5&urlhint=actn,ren%3as,1%3af,0"]http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/swampdaddy40219/album?.dir=/34d5&urlhint=actn,ren%3as,1%3af,0[/URL]

be sure and get the whole URL pasted in. Note also photos of the large downtown "traction terminal" I am building from scratch. It will have loading bays out front for both streetcars and trolleybuses. I've stalled out on it for awhile due to other projects.

I will be, over a few weeks, reading all posts in this thread.

Harry

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Thanks for that information Uintah Dave, and welcome to the gauge and our traction
hang out:D

Hello Harry (swampdaddy) and welcome to you also great project you have on the go. Man you sure have a lot of busses.

Where did your interest in Transport come from Harry?

swampdaddy41

Mar 5, 2007
Hi Everyone: Talk about water under the dam-my first post in 10 years. Got moved to the new house, layout started in the basement. Mega flood in 2010; no structures or rolling stock lost. But, all packed away as the basement was full of mold. Carpeting torn out, furniture thrown away, benchwork discarded as it could not be cured of the mold. A few years pass, new carpet, new furniture, etc. Finally started new benchwork in 2012; but, as I am now over the hill in age it has been slow going. In the meantime I've been building lots of structures which I really enjoy doing. Faller Car System is a boon to modelers who want more animation. Almost any HO vehicle can be powered with a magnet underneath at the front (motor and batteries inside) following a wire buried in the roadway. As to the traction aspect I intend to have my trolleybuses powered this way. Two HO trolleybuses are available (less poles, cowling, roof details, and retrievers). Both are Busch (German model maker) GMC New Look buses.

Edmonton had over 100 such trolleybuses with GMC of Canada bodywork and chassis. One such HO model is in the ETS Environmental Protection paint scheme. Just last year BUSCH issued Dayton #110 bus which is an ex-Edmonton unit. [Dayton bought two of the Edmonton ETBs when their system closed to test to see if they should buy more; but, Edmonton's harsh winters had heavily rusted these trolleybuses and Dayton only bought the two] I bought them both and intend powering them from the overhead wire (eventually) with the FCS method. These are 80's-90's era buses and were almost the newest era model buses available until recently.

ICONIC REPLICAS have an extensive range of over-the-road buses in HO scale. They just introduced a modern city transit bus, the New Flyer Industries XT40 Excelsior unit. So far CNG (compressed natural gas) and diesel versions in various paint schemes are available. (the roof is a separate piece on these models). By making a different roof they can have a trolleybus model easily and I hope they introduce them soon.

The new layout, in addition to streetcars and trolleybuses (may have no trains) will have an elevated line as I got two Life-Like NYC subway trains on an eBay auction. I noticed the thread has no recent posts so I hope some of you are still around.

have fun, Swamp Daddy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: zathros

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Nice to have you back. I've just crossed over that hill. Didn't realize it till I looked back. Going to keep looking forward from now on. "The Faller Car System" sounds really interesting. I've been wondering when an induction system like that would be made available (if it is an induction system). I just looked it up quickly, and the set up for automobiles is mind boggling. One could truly animate a scenario to hitherto unknown depths. I had never heard of that system (which in itself means nothing), but it does sound like it would be awesome for some of the dioramas people make around here.:)

N Scale Faller Car kit:

N Scale.jpg

Last edited:

swampdaddy41

Mar 5, 2007
Got the glitch "zathros" had; suddenly found I was a new member and unable to post anywhere. Seems to be cleared up now. At any rate Ill make needed retrievers from scrap plastic. I have noted newer TBs do no always have standard retrievers on the rear but rather simply slots which the ropes goes into - simplifies things. I have two non-powered 3-axle MAN trolleybuses (part of the Wilkinson shaver promotion in Germany) which I intend to power via the Faller FCS system sooner or later. These trolleybuses were in use in Solingen and videos of them are on the internet.

Now I can hopefully post in other threads too.

Have fun everyone, Swamp Daddy

swampdaddy41

Mar 5, 2007
Hi all: I acquired an AHM minibus figure 8 set of trolleybus overhead in November 2018 (poles, some wire, & 1 - 90 deg. crossing piece), then in December 2018 I got lucky and acquired 3 electric switches and 3 - 90 deg. overhead crossing pieces. No poles or wire with the latter items. Such parts go sky high and often are only available on German eBay; but, I got lucky on these items. I need to find some slip switches (for routes rejoining) and some contact masts that allow you to operate some switch or acc. automatically. No pictures yet as new layout barely started. May line up the acquisitions and just photograph them.

New layout may now have two trolleybus routes instead of one. Two Faller Car System buses (starter sets) acquired several years ago will be used as chassis for trolleybus bodies.

Will try to update here more often; or, start a new thread when some test operation is possible..

Have fun modeling, Swamp Daddy ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Oh pictures definitely would be nice to see! :)

swampdaddy41

Mar 5, 2007
Will definitely document these lines (as well as the layout in general) when things progress further. This will, unfortunately, not be soon as I am still building benchwork to hold completed structures as they are cleaned up and put back ion use from 5 or more years storage (the big basement flood). As I plan on using the Faller Car System (buried wire) for guidance the layout will have to be designed for building placement; then the buildings will come back off for placement of buried wire in the roadways. Lots of work yet to come but hopefully I'll get to it once adequate benchwork is up. Overhead wire will be erected and tested and the buildings gradually put back in place, etc. Lots of ETC in there too.:(

have fun modeling, Swamp Daddy ;)

swampdaddy41

Mar 5, 2007
Well, this was a long time coming (11 years) since my post in 2007 wanting some. LaBelle #10-003 is a package of 4 HO scale retrievers. I found some on eBay and quickly ordered them. Got an AHM minibus set on eBay recently as the latest addition to my large fleet. I'll post some photos soon of the fleet. The main reason I keep buying sets as it is about the only way (in these days) to get more overhead. Over the years I have gotten a number of switches and 90 deg. crossings but can't find any contact poles (to operate the switches automatically) or insulated poles (to make a bus stop). I have decided to experiment with Faller Car System steering so maybe I won't need to many of these ultra rare parts. About 9 years or more back I had a big basement flood. Things are back to normal but I have gotten old enough to get lazy:violin: and new benchwork is still just barely under way. But eventually I hope to have two trolleybus routes on the layout.

Add trolleybuses to your layout, Swamp Daddy :Bravo:

Last edited:

swampdaddy41

Mar 5, 2007
Hi everyone: Scored big this week on eBay; won two of the older Eheim 2-axle trolleybuses at a reasonable price. They look rough but I intend to experiment with them toward installing the FCS buried wire steering. And the reason I wanted those HO)-scale retrievers is that I have two Busch GMC new-look diesels which in real life are trolleybuses. Edmonton 158 and Dayton 110. The models are the normal diesel bus by Busch and do not have roof poles or retrievers in the rear. I now have those details and I will have to make my own "cowls" that hide the pole mounts on the roof :(. Pictures quite soon as my camera needs a battery charge.

Model more trolleybuses, Swamp Daddy ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Pics, this thread needs pics!! :)

swampdaddy41

Mar 5, 2007
These days my pace is "dead slow" or some pix would have already been up. First two pix show the two Busch models that are actually trolleybuses. the yellow one is Dayton 110 (one of two ex-Edmonton trolleybuses they bought as a trial), the other is numbered 109 (but no model of it) The one with the fancy 'environmental' scheme is 'Edmonton 158. The painting is excellent and crisp on both models. They are the standard Busch GMC new-look diesel. They need at least retrievers and trolley poles to look better.
Dayton trolleybus 110 crs.jpg
Edmonton trolleybus 158 crs.jpg
The cute little item below the Edmonton bus is a 12v micromotor with 300:1 gear head mounted. I found these little motors on eBay in China and they come available with a number of different gearhead ratios on the same basic motor. It takes 12-16 weeks to get these motors; but, the good part is they are dirt cheap - under $4 with free shipping. I hope to eventually power these Busch buses using the FCS system for guiding them. Lots of experimenting yet to come before this is a reality. And, they will draw power from the overhead.

Now to the details in this third photo that just arrived today. I put some HO people in there for comparison. The two LaBelle packages each have 4 HO-scale retrievers in them, these are the little silver dots. About like a large pin head. The package to the right is a Precision Scale one with trolley pole slider heads. Trolley poles themselves will have to appear in a later photo as I can't find where I hid them at the moment. The small motor is shown again with some HO people near it for size comparison.
retrievers crs.jpg

I'll end this with the usual line of more photos and information later.

Add some trolleybuses to your layout, Swamp Daddy

Attachments

• Dayton trolleybus 110 crs.jpg
    Dayton trolleybus 110 crs.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Edmonton trolleybus 158 crs.jpg
    Edmonton trolleybus 158 crs.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 24
  • retrievers crs.jpg
    retrievers crs.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

swampdaddy41

Mar 5, 2007
I have a bus model fetish, in toys, and in paper models, trains too!! :)
My fingers are too fat and stubby to do anything smaller than a bus in HO-scale paper. I have a few which might be good enough to put in a garage for a long distance shot they wouldn't be too bad. I do much better with paper buildings though.

I do have a quite large fleet of 'over the road' buses in plastic; but, my local transit is mostly trolleybus.

Add more buses to your diorama, Swamp Daddy

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
There are some really nice Bus paper models out there, with full interiors. All kinds of models, and years, styles, etc. ;)

Reactions: swampdaddy41

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
I have a bus model fetish, in toys, and in paper models, trains too!! :)
Me TOO! Sort of, I have been gathering info a reference for two I want to do, a

Zil (ZIS) 8 that is built on an extended Zil (ZIS) 5 chassis (Formerly Called AMO (1916-1931) or ZiS (1931-1956), and a Gaz o330 Military...
i449326.jpg

and a Gaz o330 Military...
MIA00035149_2_d.jpg

and for your Bus Fetish Drool Here

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That would make such a cool "retro-camper". :)