Weathering tressel bridge

Woodyncarlyle

Oct 22, 2006
I have a campbell n gauge tressel bridge to assemble and was loogine for some tips on painting and weathering the wood structure.

Woody

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Campbell and most modelers suggests painting/weathering the wood before assembly. I have found this to be a good suggestion because any excess glue causes the paint or stain to be uneven. Also experiment on some excess wood until you find the combination of color that you want. Stain is just that. It's very hard to remove.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I've built a couple of Coampell's kits and always start by staining all the wood parts with Driftwood stain. THat way, they have some color under the glue. Any glue will seal the wood and prevent stain from penetrating. For really old weathered unfinished wood, I then paint a light coat of flat white and then use lots (and I mean lots) of varying costs of india ink wash. I use a really small brush and apply it board by board to get varying degrees of gray. For weathered paint, I apply a couple of light coats of whatever volor I'm using and then use a plastic bristle brush in a rotary tool to wear some of it away. Check out my home page for some pics.
Doc