weathering the rails

artur_p

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hi guys I was wondering what paint colours you use to weather your tracks, I'm about to paint mine but i'm having trouble finding the right colour. too bad our tracks dont rust :)

F

Fred_M

I use burnt umber acrylic as a rule. Floquil rail brown is also a good choice. I use the burnt umber because its cheaper and easier on the lungs. The floquil is closer to the color of most mainline rails. That's my two cents worth. I have some I painted flat black a long time ago and it looks OK to me too. :) FRED

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
I have been experimenting. I read an article in the April 1994 RM, it suggested that you use car spray paint, the author used light sprays of Rust Primer, Grey Primer and Flat Black (mixing the oder of different flex sections). Then wiped the tops of the rails with an old rag and then used a "Bright Boy" along the tops of the rails.

I have not found the combination I really like, but it is easier than brushing. :D

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
You should avoid a really rusty colour as that only occured on disused lines. The trains left plenty of oil on the rails. I use a dark brown for both the sleepers and the rails that seems to work fne but if I could be bothered I'd paint the rails a dark brownish gray.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I agree with Fred, burnt umber is a great, cheap, water wash color to start with. You can add lighter rust streaks here and there or grey dust with an air brush or dry brush. Auto primer is about the same, maybe a bit lighter, but I prefer the water based solution. I've tried brushing, airbrushing and spray paint and found it about as fast to squeeze out a big blob of burnt umber and saturate the ends of the bristols on a cheap 3" brush, then jab at the track with the bristol tips, then wipe off the top of the rails.

OhioRailroader

May 14, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
www.ironroadhobbies.com
Something I used years ago that was cheap at the time was a paint for carboard boxes. It was used to cover markings and such. I picked up a big can for a few bucks and it lasted a long time. It's color is close to the rail brown or lighter. If I could find it I'd use it again.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Artur,

I just use cheap student artist acrylic paints. Red Oxide, and Burnt Umber. About $2 a tub from art supplies shops.

Dab of red oxide, dab of burnt umber then slop on rails. Just mix it on the brush, then you get the variations of colour. No need to be fussy.

Then go and slop the burnt umber on the sleepers. Then ballast and clean the rails. :)

Comes out like this.

attachment.php