weathering tanker cars

F

Fred_M

Most of the tankcars I see on the BNSF look like the ones N Gauger posted. I think they keep tank cars clean and in good shape because to the nature of the loads they haul. Also most anymore are flat black and don't show dirt. Just my personal observations from train watching. Fred

Hi,

there is a pic of my weatherd n-scale watercar in my climax thread and here is an other one in Fn3.
15P6201316.jpg

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I use a wash, basically the dregs of my thinner jar. With this, I apply spots of paint...rust, flat black, etc...and carefully pull it in the wash.

Attachments

• oil2.JPG
    oil2.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 66

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Many of my cars come from the collections of modelers who have died, so I try to keep their work alive by doing little more than changing the wheels and couplers. In the tanker's case, the original owner fudged the decaling a bit. I made it appear as though it was burnt in that spot like so, using rust then flat black. I finish by painting the wheels Testor's Rust and the trucks with Testor's Rubber paint. I do not clean the brush as I alternate between the two colors.

Attachments

• oil1.JPG
    oil1.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 71