Fred_M

So here's an update on the fence now well weathered. FRED

Attachments

• tin fence1.jpg
    tin fence1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 113
F

Fred_M

When you say "caustic soda" do you mean sodium hydroxide? Sometime we loose stuff in translation. No way this tin could be sanded, it's too delicate and the waves are small, this is HO scale tin. Maybe bead blasted though. Here's another picture with a scratch building I've been doing. FRED

Attachments

• tinandshed.jpg
    tinandshed.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 112
F

Fred_M

I planted the side fence at the junkyard and will now build a front fence. I'm happy with the look I got on this fence. :) FRED

Attachments

• fence1.jpg
    fence1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 92

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Fred I like how you have pulled the scene together, :thumb: my only question would be ,don't you think a fence that is this weather beaten in some spots would be a little less shiny all over? Or did I miss where you said you were doing more later? This is just an observation and not intented to ruffle any feathers ;) Pat

F

Fred_M

In real life it's not shiney. It's been painted with flat silver acrylic craft paint and the rust is black, tan, burnt sienna and gray. There's also not a reflection off the roof and the truck isn't the least bit shiney. My camera makes things brighter. FRED

Fred, here's a photo of a roof I finished last night. I used Builders in Scale's corrugated roofing/siding and cut it into the size strips I wanted. Then I dunked the pieces (one at a time) back and forth between Archer Etchant and plain water until I got the look I wanted. I didn't want the panels completly rusted through, so timing and rinsing were the keys to controlling the "burning" of each panel.

I had to throw a couple of old tires up there to hold down some of the panels. They rattle when the wind blows and about drive a man nuts.:D :D

(Also, Vic is right about what the etchant will do to stainless tools. I have a pair of surgeon's foreceps that I've used for this process for over 20 years. The tips are pretty cruddy looking now from being dunked so many times into etchant solution to fish out roofing/siding panels.)

Attachments

• ShedRoofDetail10ws.jpg
    ShedRoofDetail10ws.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 87
F

Fred_M

Mike, is that roofing steel? And thanks much for that supplier. I'll bookmarked it and will order some. The local cheap tool store sells them foreceps for a couple bucks, so I don't care if they turn black. :) You building looks fantastic as always. Thanks for helping us newbies. FRED

dash10 said:
Mike, is that roofing steel? And thanks much for that supplier. I'll bookmarked it and will order some. The local cheap tool store sells them foreceps for a couple bucks, so I don't care if they turn black. :) You building looks fantastic as always. Thanks for helping us newbies. FRED

Fred, the roofing is corrugated aluminum. It's just a different gauge and corrugation pattern than the typical Campbell's stuff. It was made by Builders in Scale, which was sold to CC Crow about a year ago. He may have started producing the siding/roofing materials again, but I don't know for sure. I bought several packages of the BIS materials a few years back and used some of it for this project.

jonno w

May 25, 2004
Weathering aluminium

Ferric chloride is a nasty,savage substance. I've used it and it does produce a weathered look, particularly if you allow it to chew up the edges of the metal.
Its seriously corrosive and you need plastic tongs, masks and pots.
I read an article in Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette which recommended something called Rottenstone, which I believe is an abrasive powder.

On rust generally, I've seen so many rusty roofs and tanks around the bush that colour is a moot question. I've bought little bottles of builder's powdered chalk and added it to tube acrylic artists paints of the raw umber, burnt sienna, oxide red, oxide yellow, range and obtained nice, grainy rust qualities.

I'm currently wondering whether anybody produces corrugated iron looking material in styrene as I'm frustrated with the problems related to cardboard and aluminium. I can paint styrene, sand it and cut it and it behaves.