Weak pulling motor

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Justin, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Justin

Justin Member

I have Marx 1095 ATSF A-B-A diesl set which looks good. Then one day, I made a attempt to rebuild the motor. I used the same techingue on the other locos but know this one ain't pulling anything worth a devil!!!! What do you think the problem is?:cry:
  2. darkcurves

darkcurves Member

Hmmm, perhaps weight?
  3. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

weight should be the same is my guess. what did you do on the rebuid justin?
  4. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

If your wheels are spinning, then you need to add some weight to the engine. If it's just sitting there and not moving at all when you hook up to your consist then it's something mechanical. Also, you might whant to check your drive wheels to be sure they are clean and don't have any grease or oil residue on them from the rebuild. Use a Q-tip and some alcohol to run around the edges of the wheels.
  5. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

You didn't use WD-40 in the rebuild process, did you? I used to use that (following instructions I found on the web) and ended up with those same symptoms. That stuff gets into the brushes and then all bets are off. I stopped using WD-40 when working on engines and I stopped having problems.

You can try cleaning the engine again with lots of contact cleaner (hardware store or auto parts store) but you may have to get some new brushes. Those are available from www.trainpartsformarx.com (Robert Grossman).
  6. Justin

Justin Member

I only used 70% rubbing alcohol and some compressed air in a can afterwards.
  7. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Glad to hear that's what you used. How about the wheels? Are all of the wheels tight on the axle? I had one locomotive that had some play in one of its wheels (I could feel it slipping on the axle when I moved it by hand). When I put some glue on there to hold it in place, it gained pulling power and ran smoother.
  8. Justin

Justin Member

OK, I'll try it in the morning.
  9. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

The 70% is isopropyl alcohol. The other 30% is water, and in some cases, partly or wholly oil of wintergreen. I'm not sure exactly how that might affect a motor, but I have had some problems using rubbing alcohol as a cleaning agent.
  10. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

It is a little hard to trouble shoot this one. I’m not sure if the engine worked great until you worked on it. Can you provide us more details on the rebuild? It could be a range of problems from the one discussed to a dirty commutator, worn brushes, poor brush contact or even just lack of proper lubrication. You might have even demagnetized the motor.

[FONT=&quot]Check the simple things such as a bent rod or even the pickups and leads. There are just so many things that sap the power from your Marx. So if you can some more detail we might be able to pin point it better for you.[/FONT]
  11. slekjr

slekjr Member

I once had a motor apart and managed to put the permanant magnet in the oposite way. It spun free fine but when it was on the track it wouldn't move. What a bear to find that one.
  12. Justin

Justin Member

I only poured rubbing alcohol through it and spun it a little. Then I lubricated all the gears and bearings.
  13. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Then IMHO there is your problem. I would think you now need a total overhaul of the motor. My guess is that it needs taken apart and everything needs cleaned correctly. That just isn’t the best procedure to clean an electric motor.

At the minimum you'll need to clean motor brushes, brush wells, and commutator faces.

Good luck and it really isn’t all that hard to give it a quick overhaul if your lucky and nothing has been damaged.
  14. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Justin, to clean the brushes, wells, and commutator face you can just move the springs aside that hold the brushes in, then take the brushes out. Note which brush was where and the direction it was facing. Get a can of contact cleaner (about $3 at a hardware or auto parts store) and use that to clean the brushes and everything metal in sight. Scrub any and all copper surfaces down with cotton swabs if any of the dirt is stubborn. Replace the brushes, put the springs back in place, and see how it runs.
  15. acflyer322

acflyer322 New Member

Hey Justin.
  16. acflyer322

acflyer322 New Member

Hey Justin, I agree with Dave sounds like the problem is in the brushes. You may have a built up of old carbon from the old brushes in the brush tubes which will cause it to not make a clean contact with the brush springs themselves. best way to clean the tubes out is with a Q-tip and use acetone but becareful using acetone. It drys fast and make sure you don't use it in a closed in area. The fumes will do you in. It will get all the gunk and crap out of the tubes . Next make sure the brush springs are clean and have no corrosion or rust on them as this too will cause a lack of voltage to get to the commutator. Then check the commutator itself on the armature, best way to clean it like new is get a 3M scuff pad preferably the marroon color pad and lightly rub the commutator and clean it , it will look bright and shinny almost like new condition when your done. Check the segment spacing between each segments to make sure you have no metal or pieces of old brushes in the spaces. Your problem sounds like a loss of voltage and the best way to lose voltage is a incorrect rebuild. One sure way to know if you have a voltage loss is by heat , if you engine is heating up more then normal then its a very good chance you have a voltage loss due to hidden dirt. Good luck ACFLYER322
  17. Justin

Justin Member

Well, I workedon it this weekend. I cleaned the brushes and the copper plate thing on the motor. It works a tad bit better and pulls a lot better!
  18. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

The copper plate thing is called the commutator. :)